Rank II

Enthusiast I

Washington, USA
First Name
ruben
Last Name
delgado
Member #

So I was thinking of buying a used pop-up trailer throwing a better suspension on it and using it as my overland trailer. I have a family and most trailers are not built for families and I don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg on one. What are your thoughts?

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

So I was thinking of buying a used pop-up trailer throwing a better suspension on it and using it as my overland trailer. I have a family and most trailers are not built for families and I don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg on one. What are your thoughts?
Well Ruben, I like the idea but most pop ups aren't built for off road use even with upgrades. The newer hybrid models are because they build them to withstand flex and abuse. I think it might end up just a money pit in the end. Good luck on your build search.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
I have a small pop up I use a lot, the axle was upgraded from PO and 31 super swappers installed seems to be holding up ok so far, I plan to get rid of the axle completely this winter and add the axleless suspension, while I'm in there I will also reinforce areas which look weak.

Attachments

Reactions: TX_Big_Rig

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Its your money do what you like and works for you. You might have to go slow and be more careful but its doable. Id suggest just get a homemade truck bed trailer if your really on a budget and building something yourself that can go offroad.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have a small pop up I use a lot, the axle was upgraded from PO and 31 super swappers installed seems to be holding up ok so far, I plan to get rid of the axle completely this winter and add the axleless suspension, while I'm in there I will also reinforce areas which look weak.
That's impressive. I didn't know fleetwood made anything like that. One of my buddies has their bigger "off-road" tent trailer. I had to do a ton of reinforcing because it really wasn't designed for dirt roads. It was literally disintegrating. Yours being smaller looks way more capable.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That's impressive. I didn't know fleetwood made anything like that. One of my buddies has their bigger "off-road" tent trailer. I had to do a ton of reinforcing because it really wasn't designed for dirt roads. It was literally disintegrating. Yours being smaller looks way more capable.
I worked for Fleetwood briefly back in 1997, I quit because I couldn’t stand behind the quality of trailers they were putting out. The Malards were extremely poor builds... I am surprised any are still on the road today.

Tlocken

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Washington, USA
First Name
ruben
Last Name
delgado
Member #

That's pretty cool the reason I was looking at one, as I stated earlier is that most trailers don't seem made for a family and the opus which the only off-road capable pop-up run at over 20k.
It seems hard to find a good family friendly overland trailer on a budget

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That's pretty cool the reason I was looking at one, as I stated earlier is that most trailers don't seem made for a family and the opus which the only off-road capable pop-up run at over 20k.
It seems hard to find a good family friendly overland trailer on a budget
I have been tossing the idea around for many years. My plan goes like this, get a pop-up for less than $500. Build my own frame using the heaviest duty axle and spring set up I can afford. Then build a heavy duty floor onto the frame. Then swap the tub of the camp trailer onto my trailer. Then accessorize it to match my taste...

Then I go down this road in my mind and I wonder why not just build the whole trailer from scratch. Then I hit the road block of the tent itself.

Reactions: Tlocken

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Yes, these items are way overpriced , when I can I try to fabricate or create my own items.

Reactions: M Rose

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have been tossing the idea around for many years. My plan goes like this, get a pop-up for less than $500. Build my own frame using the heaviest duty axle and spring set up I can afford. Then build a heavy duty floor onto the frame. Then swap the tub of the camp trailer onto my trailer. Then accessorize it to match my taste...

Then I go down this road in my mind and I wonder why not just build the whole trailer from scratch. Then I hit the road block of the tent itself.

This is what I ran into. Years ago I wanted an off-road capable pop up. I can work the metal but not the tent. I saw an RTT in a magazine and mounted one on a small trailer. Due to the amount of wind I encounter on trips, im now building a small hard side. I've spent months researching and designing something that will open up and fold down using fiberglass type panels. Low profile, lite, the side would pop out for a bed and I would be able to stand up. When I took a good look, I decided not to build something that complicated and settled on building a small teardrop. I would still like to own a commercial type sewing machine but, I don't want to spend the money on one then the learning curve right now. I do have plans to add a 4 sided annex on the side. The cost of having the canvas sewn is almost the price of the sewing machine though. Sigh....

When i'm done with my teardrop, I estimate I'll have about 3k into it. It will be in line with the 15k trailers but built to what I want and not having to settle on their options. It is nice to see small companies building quality ones now. As others have posted, the crap that was sold to us in the past was horrible. This is one of the reasons I learned to build my own things.

Last edited: