US West Pony Express Trail - Salt Lake City to Lake Tahoe

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

12C20

Rank IV

Member III

South Jordan, Utah, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Trail: Pony Express Trail - 5 Mile Pass (Cedar Fort, UT) to Lake Tahoe (Carson City, NV)
*Date Traveled: 10-12 May 2021
*Trail Travel Time: 30 hours driving
*Length: 800 mi.
*Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Vehicle: 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Short Bed Off-Road
Modifications: 2" lift, 33" tires, HD rear springs, Falcon shocks and struts, skid plates, Decked drawer system, Yakima Outpost bed rack, Tepui Ayer 2 roof top tent
Resources: Took 15 gallons of water and 10 gallons of extra fuel, a shovel and pick, and standard recovery gear.

The trail from 5 Mile Pass to NV Hwy 278 is largely intact and easy to follow. Once across Hwy 278 there is a lot of private land and dead ends, where the trail peters out and disappears. (You can see that on my track.)

I'd recommend heading down into Ely, NV to refuel if you plan on following my route. But I'm the guy who doesn't like to get below 1/4 tank. :wink:

Reactions: Jim SoG

Contributor I

Trail: Pony Express Trail - 5 Mile Pass (Cedar Fort, UT) to Lake Tahoe (Carson City, NV)
*Date Traveled: 10-12 May 2021
*Trail Travel Time: 30 hours driving
*Length: 800 mi.
*Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Vehicle: 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Short Bed Off-Road
Modifications: 2" lift, 33" tires, HD rear springs, Falcon shocks and struts, skid plates, Decked drawer system, Yakima Outpost bed rack, Tepui Ayer 2 roof top tent
Resources: Took 15 gallons of water and 10 gallons of extra fuel, a shovel and pick, and standard recovery gear.

The trail from 5 Mile Pass to NV Hwy 278 is largely intact and easy to follow. Once across Hwy 278 there is a lot of private land and dead ends, where the trail peters out and disappears. (You can see that on my track.)

I'd recommend heading down into Ely, NV to refuel if you plan on following my route. But I'm the guy who doesn't like to get below 1/4 tank. :wink:
Have a trip planned to do the Pony Express later this Summer. Made on route in GAIA but having one that is based on recent experience and actual conditions is preferred. Thank you for sharing!