Launch Member

Member I

Arizona, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bellah
Member #

For those of you using the Plano boxes...
How do the hold up to the abuses of overlanding?
How are the at keeping the elements out?...dust and water.
We are looking at alternatives and these look like a cost affective solutuon, as long as they wil hold up. If i go Pelican or Hardinge(sp) it would mean fewer boxes fit in my budget.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

For those of you using the Plano boxes...
How do the hold up to the abuses of overlanding?
How are the at keeping the elements out?...dust and water.
We are looking at alternatives and these look like a cost affective solutuon, as long as they wil hold up. If i go Pelican or Hardinge(sp) it would mean fewer boxes fit in my budget.
I run them and they work great. Just run foam door seal in the groove and it seals it from dust for your outdoor use. I have 2 of the unhinged models for the bed and 1 hinged for the inside of my truck. 20190518_184149.jpg

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Love my Plano boxes. I haven't sealed them. Considering they mostly hold my bedding, I should seal them.

Reactions: nomnot62

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I haven’t sealed mine either, and they were out in the rain for more than 24 hours this past February, and again got rained on at expo west without any water getting in. I carry mine inside my truck in the camper shell, so I don’t have to worry about dust or water while driving. They are great!

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

I bought a couple of Remington boxes that have a gasket and are lockable. They were on sale and not much more than the Plano boxes but seemed bigger and more weather/dust resistant.

Gordon843

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Adams Run, SC
Member #

Definitely would recommend. Mine has stood up well getting beat around in the truck bed. Sat out in a camp site during 11" of tropical storm rain in 2 days and dry inside. Weather stripping in the lid keeps all dust out.

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
I just started using mine and they've worked out great. I got two of them to replace some larger totes with lids that weren't great. I needed something that was a little smaller and would be easier to handle for putting them on my roof rack. These worked out great, and held up well to ratchet straps. I did add the weather stripping as folks mentioned above (and per another thread here on OB), and they held up to a couple of nights of rain with no issues. I will mention though that they are a little bit more narrow on the bottom half versus the top half of the container. In order to pack my Coleman style 2 burner stove, I had to layer other items below it - it fits just snug side-to-side at the top of the container. My folding grill grate is the same way. Double check measurements of your gear to ensure it will fit okay.

Attachments

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have a pair of 108qt boxes in the bed, I used a seal on one, no dust in either. I have a 56qt in the back seat. They are heavy duty, you can sit on them, I'm 220+. The large totes have wheels on one end for rolling around. They get heavy when full of recovery gear. Would buy again.