Planning the first electric truck convoy across America - Summer 2022

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Maryland
First Name
Cyberland
Last Name
Bound
Hey all - we're introducing Cyberland Bound as a distraction to everyone that's hunkered down and social distancing! We're a small team of cybertruck reservation holders and outdoor enthusiasts that are planning to drive our convoy of cybertrucks across the U.S. along the TransAmerica Trail in the Summer of 2022. We are independent of Tesla and we're planning to evaluate the utility of the cybertruck as a next generation off road adventuring machine. We're looking for ideas for destinations along the trail, and we're planning to design informative tests to carry out along the way. Let us know your thoughts and suggestions, and maybe we'll see you at a meetup along the trail somewhere! YouTube Intro

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

If I thought I would realistically be in a Rivian by then, I'd join you... but until there is a major infrastructure overhaul to this country, I shall stick to my turbo diesel.

Reactions: Cyberland Bound

Contributor I

Maryland
First Name
Cyberland
Last Name
Bound
We posted a new video showing the proposed off-road route of our little team. It's going to be a long two years to wait...assuming Cybertruck production stays on schedule. Always looking for ideas of the best places to stop in while we make our way across the country!

Reactions: Cyberman

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

You gonna take a generator and fuel with you? If not i think you might be limited as to where you can get a charge.
What is the rated fording depth?
Whats the stock height and tire size?
Im sure youll have the torque needed for most stuff just watch out for wheel spin specially if your gonna hit any mountain ridges. Some of these questions might help to know what kinds of trails you can go on there is alot of different terrain available along that route.

Last edited:

Contributor I

Maryland
First Name
Cyberland
Last Name
Bound
You gonna take a generator and fuel with you?
Not planning to - we will have 4-6 vehicles in the convoy (including 1 or 2 internal combustion support vehicles) so should be able to get ourselves unstuck if need be! Obviously the hope is that the electric vehicles won’t need the help, but we’ll be prepared just in case...!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Not planning to - we will have 4-6 vehicles in the convoy (including 1 or 2 internal combustion support vehicles) so should be able to get ourselves unstuck if need be! Obviously the hope is that the electric vehicles won’t need the help, but we’ll be prepared just in case...!
Got ya. Id be more worried though about running outta charge than getting stuck especially with a convoy. You cant take one of the gas vehicles to get a jug of charge.

Contributor I

Maryland
First Name
Cyberland
Last Name
Bound
True enough. The route looks like each segment is within the range of the trucks, but there are a few remote areas where we will have to be careful to get to a campground or somewhere else with an outlet every few days to “top up.” We’ll be sure to film and report back on any segments where we experience range anxiety.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
sounds interesting. are y'all pulling any trailers with the cyber trucks or are you going with only what the truck will hold?

Contributor I

Maryland
First Name
Cyberland
Last Name
Bound
sounds interesting. are y'all pulling any trailers with the cyber trucks or are you going with only what the truck will hold?
No trailers planned, but that may change as the launch date approaches. We expect towing will hamper range somewhat, just as it would with a gas car, so that is a compromise we will have to consider as we plan out our gear.

Contributor I

Maryland
First Name
Cyberland
Last Name
Bound
We are expecting to have our Rivian R1S by the time you reach Idaho and Oregon so will keep track of your plans and progress with the idea of meeting up on the trail.
That would be awesome! It’s going to be a long, hard wait until 2022. Looks like the western Idaho and eastern Oregon segments may be the most challenging for charging, so let us know if you have any inside info that will help us plan our stops. We’re thinking campgrounds and level 2 chargers will be our best options after we pass by Boise and head up into the mountains.

JackA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

The Tesla SC network follows the Interstate in Oregon along I-84 we use it traveling between Wenatchee, WA and Boise, ID. The exceptions are Bend, Detroit, and Lincoln City and the Burns SC that is planned. However, most RV parks have NEMA-1450 (40 A delivered) which will give between 28 and 35 mile of range per hour of charge. Way slow if you are waiting, but not bad if staying overnight.

Cyberman

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Stu
Last Name
Hoffman
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6ONZ
Got ya. Id be more worried though about running outta charge than getting stuck especially with a convoy. You cant take one of the gas vehicles to get a jug of charge.
I'm new here but from what I understand the Cybertruck will be able to gather a charge moving or sitting in the sun up to 13 mi/day . So baring mechanical issues (4 flats) or broken axel it should be ok for any distance at least at a crawl.

Reactions: Cyberland Bound

Cyberman

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Stu
Last Name
Hoffman
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6ONZ
We are expecting to have our Rivian R1S by the time you reach Idaho and Oregon so will keep track of your plans and progress with the idea of meeting up on the trail.
Cool I am hoping the Rivian turns out great. It will be fun to see and maybe bum a test drive from you :)

Cyberman

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Stu
Last Name
Hoffman
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6ONZ
You gonna take a generator and fuel with you? If not i think you might be limited as to where you can get a charge.
What is the rated fording depth?
Whats the stock height and tire size?
Im sure youll have the torque needed for most stuff just watch out for wheel spin specially if your gonna hit any mountain ridges. Some of these questions might help to know what kinds of trails you can go on there is alot of different terrain available along that route.
I'm hoping the 500m version of the Cybertruck will allow me to take a last charge before hitting the trail and be able to pull in another 13 miles/day of range as I go. But it's a new technology so we shall see. I will probably take a few local trips and try to get up into the hills to try and see how long I can go before committing to a big adventure . It should be exciting.
From what I understand It will be able to wade into window deep water for a time (thats vauge to me)
Tire size said to be 35" or at least the demo vehicle had 35" tires.