• HTML tutorial

Nikko

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Los Angeles, CA
Member #

Hello All,

I'm planning on a short 3 day - 2 night trip to Seqouia NF/ Kings Canyon NP.

I've done some research on places to post up but wanted more info and input from the OB fam.

Im currently looking at Big Meadows trail and looking for a high point with a nice view. (Got the idea from Mr. & Mrs. OB's trip on youtube)
or If ya'll know a sweet spot to camp next to a creek, lmk!!

Trail Type: Easy to Intermediate

Feel free to throw in your suggestions, trip experiences/stories, hiking trails, sites to see, as well as your packing essentials, etc.
Any info would be awesome! Thanks!

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I've been starting to research the same trip also. This weekend would be perfect with the heat wave rolling into SoCal. We're looking at organized campgrounds though as I didn't realize dispersed camping may be available. Also, with the construction on the 198 are you seeing that being a factor, though it doesn't sound like it's much of a delay? We're rethinking Sequoia / Kings Canyon in lieu of San Diego perhaps, just not looking forward to the heat.
Happy trails!

Reactions: Nikko

Nikko

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Los Angeles, CA
Member #

From what I researched there are a couple back roads you can take that are part of the NF that you can post up. Now it's just a matter of exploring and see what we find. Also the construction is more down south towards the middle of the 198. Not planning on driving down there for this trip so I hope it will be fine! I'll be entering from the 180.
Try a state beach ground and stay cool by the ocean!

When I come back from this trip I'll be sure to post my feedback!

Happy Trails!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

We ended up in Big Bear for the weekend instead. Trying to squeeze all the Sequoia and King's Canyon sights into a single weekend was a bit more hectic than we'd like. Hope you made it out there, and I'd love to here how it all went.

Reactions: Nikko and Raul B

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

Awesome! I was just about to post about going to on a short trip to the Sequoias as well. We were supposed to go to Baja July 4th weekend, but that got cancelled. Trying to find some good trails close to the giants and do some dispersed camping.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using OB Talk mobile app

PS144ONE

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whittier, California
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
Silva
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6DMP
I've backpacked up in that area. Its one of my favorite places. I would like to plan a wheel'n trip myself. Would you mind sharing your research in the thread?

Jroettele

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Anaheim, CA
Member #

I was also thinking about doing a trip like this over July 4th weekend. I'm having a hard time finding dispersed camping information.

Nikko

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Los Angeles, CA
Member #

Hey Guys!

Thanks for your comments!

So I was finally able to take the time off to go. Heading up Friday morning, July 7th, and heading back down on the 9th.

I bought Nat Geo Topo Map and have Gaia Maps on my iPhone.
Coming from the 180 onto the Generals Highway 198, going to take Big Meadows Road (Trail 14s11) up to Trail 14s30 (or 13s04) toward Buck Rock. Once you get up there is pretty much high clearance/4x4 terrain. Should be able to find nice, elevated, flat area to post up.

My game plan is to get there and stop by the visitor center to grab some info, check out some Giants, then head up the trails. Next day going to pack it in and head to Buck Rock Lookout to get some prime pics and learn the landscape. Hoping to see if they can recommend another spot for me to post up. If not, time to explore! It's a short trip and my first time to Sequoia NF/ Kings Canoyon NP. So I'm in the exploring mindset and just going with the flow once I get there. Also, since it's the weekend, especially after the 4th, it could be packed at known monuments/watering holes. Trying to stay low-pro and away from the crowds.

I'll be sure to post another comment when I come back from the trip with detail from morning 1st day to leaving back in LA.
Super stoked about this quick turn around trip!

Nikko

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Los Angeles, CA
Member #

Awesome! I was just about to post about going to on a short trip to the Sequoias as well. We were supposed to go to Baja July 4th weekend, but that got cancelled. Trying to find some good trails close to the giants and do some dispersed camping.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using OB Talk mobile app
Funny, I was actually planning on a Baja Trip before this too. Thinking of Algodones Dunes. Don't have the time for the trip so decided to head up to Sequoia. Hopefully, we can reconnect and plan a trip down south in the future!

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

Nikko

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Los Angeles, CA
Member #

We ended up in Big Bear for the weekend instead. Trying to squeeze all the Sequoia and King's Canyon sights into a single weekend was a bit more hectic than we'd like. Hope you made it out there, and I'd love to here how it all went.
Going up weekend of 4th of July. Will definitely fill you in!

How was the Bear trip? Would like to hear about the trip in detail. Really want to head out there one of these days; Yellow Posts and what not.

Reactions: LostInSocal

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Big Bear was ....... crowded! Haha.
We ended up at Holcomb Campground and was able to nab one of the last spot available. Come to find out from the camp host that just up the road are disperse sites available and since we brought our own "facilities", the only thing we'd be giving up is a campfire. There was a Jeep event going on that weekend, and the Mormons in the area were doing something where they had to pull carts for 7 miles(?). Still, despite the crowd, it was a good time.

As for the yellow post sites, on the way up to Big Bear, we took a detour to Keller Peak where there are 9 yellow post sites. All were taken of course, but they were very nice, and a couple of them had some amazing views. We'll definitely be heading up that way once the temperature drops a bit. Then on the way back home, we took the 38 down to Yucaipa, and along the way we checked out the yellow post sites in Coon Creek. Not as nice as Keller Peak but doable once it cools down a bit.

Hope your trip goes well. Safe travels!

Mike Zehner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Costa Mesa
Member #

I would love to get going on a Kings/ Sequoia trip sometime. Took my van and Triumph up there once, but I want to do it in the 4Runner next time. I highly recommend Kennedy Meadows and Troy Meadows off of the 395. I was up a couple weeks ago, absolutely beautiful. The best part about these areas is you are able to shoot guns and hunt, albeit certain things at certain times. Kings/Sequoia has a strict no gun policy I'm told, not even allowed to carry bear mace. Which I assure you my 30-30 rifle was needed to scare off a couple of nosy bears a couple weeks ago. The drive up and back is easy, maybe shorter than kings too, and there are some awesome trails. good fishing too. Later in the summer would be best since the water runoff and downed trees still are causing some trail closure via the gates.IMG_6513.JPG IMG_6594.JPG

Last edited:

Rattlesnake44

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hawthorne, CA
Member #

I would love to get going on a Kings/ Sequoia trip sometime. Took my van and Triumph up there once, but I want to do it in the 4Runner next time. I highly recommend Kennedy Meadows and Troy Meadows off of the 395. I was up a couple weeks ago, absolutely beautiful. The best part about these areas is you are able to shoot guns and hunt, albeit certain things at certain times. Kings/Sequoia has a strict no gun policy I'm told, not even allowed to carry bear mace. Which I assure you my 30-30 rifle was needed to scare off a couple of nosy bears a couple weeks ago. The drive up and back is easy, maybe shorter than kings too, and there are some awesome trails. good fishing too. Later in the summer would be best since the water runoff and downed trees still are causing some trail closure via the gates.View attachment 27434 View attachment 27435
Hey bud, would you mind sharing the Lat/Long on this spot to a fellow 4Runner guy? Always looking for good spots off the 395.

Reactions: Isaac Garibay

Mike Zehner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Costa Mesa
Member #

Favorite Spot : 36°01'45.88" N 118°13'11.56" W Elevation - 7,495 this spot offer big rocks for shade and firepit, small waterfall at the right time, streams, meadows and some fun trails to drive, really muddy when I went from water runoff

Better spot for people with kids : 36°03'02.47" N 118°07'54.69" W Elev-6,087 this spot has a nearby main campground and general store, great big creek for fishing

Jackass Meadow : 36°05'47.72" N 118°13'43.60" W Elev-7,795 : I didn't camp here since the trail was closed, but this area offers some good riding (motorcycles) and there's jeep trails nearby.

the local camp host at Fish Creek Campground near these is great, hooks you up with a great map, fire permit and tells you the best spots he knows of.

Rattlesnake44

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hawthorne, CA
Member #

Favorite Spot : 36°01'45.88" N 118°13'11.56" W Elevation - 7,495 this spot offer big rocks for shade and firepit, small waterfall at the right time, streams, meadows and some fun trails to drive, really muddy when I went from water runoff

Better spot for people with kids : 36°03'02.47" N 118°07'54.69" W Elev-6,087 this spot has a nearby main campground and general store, great big creek for fishing

Jackass Meadow : 36°05'47.72" N 118°13'43.60" W Elev-7,795 : I didn't camp here since the trail was closed, but this area offers some good riding (motorcycles) and there's jeep trails nearby.

the local camp host at Fish Creek Campground near these is great, hooks you up with a great map, fire permit and tells you the best spots he knows of.
That's awesome, thanks for the info!

Nikko

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Los Angeles, CA
Member #

I would love to get going on a Kings/ Sequoia trip sometime. Took my van and Triumph up there once, but I want to do it in the 4Runner next time. I highly recommend Kennedy Meadows and Troy Meadows off of the 395. I was up a couple weeks ago, absolutely beautiful. The best part about these areas is you are able to shoot guns and hunt, albeit certain things at certain times. Kings/Sequoia has a strict no gun policy I'm told, not even allowed to carry bear mace. Which I assure you my 30-30 rifle was needed to scare off a couple of nosy bears a couple weeks ago. The drive up and back is easy, maybe shorter than kings too, and there are some awesome trails. good fishing too. Later in the summer would be best since the water runoff and downed trees still are causing some trail closure via the gates.View attachment 27434 View attachment 27435
Sweet! Thanks for the info! That spot looks nice and open w/ beautiful mountains to wake up to. I'll definitely try to work this into my itinerary!

Nikko

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Los Angeles, CA
Member #

Post-Trip Update:

Howdy Ya'll,

Got back from my 3-Day, 2-Night trip to Sequoia NF/Kings Canyon NP. Was an awesome experience and was definitely too short.

Day 1:
Got in through Kings Canyon entrance on the 180. Headed straight to the Visitors Center for more info, maps and recommendations. Jumped back on the road to get onto the 198 Generals Highway heading towards Big Meadows Road 14S11 on the left. Drove a couple miles down and made a left to go up 13S04 to go to Buck Rock Lookout. Definitely recommended visit for landscape views and chatting up with the Ranger up there. Lookout is open from 10:00am to 5:00pm. The Ranger recommended continuing the road 13S04 for a good vantage point overlooking the valley facing East. Found a prime spot there! (Pictured 1-4) Posted up at about 5:00 and opened a cold one and relaxed with the view.

Day 2:
Ate breakfast and packed it out in the morning. Headed back down to Big Meadows Road and made our way to the Weaver Lake Trailhead on 14S16. Weaver Lake trail is 6 miles round trip. Very easy trail with moderate incline going in. Swam there and watched some people fish. Stayed there for 2-3 hours then headed back to find another place to post up around that area. Continued east on Big Meadows Road and took 14S09 trail. Short trail with some overgrown vegetation. Got some pinstripes on my truck :(. We made it to our last spot (pictured 5 & 6). Had a nice forest vibe to it surrounded by trees.

Day 3:
Ate breakfast and packed it out in the morning. Before we left we made sure to visit the General Sherman Tree going south on Generals Highway. It was pretty packed since it was the weekend but just had to visit since it was my first time there. Then headed back home taking the 195 all the way to the 99. Pretty sweet scenic drive. A lot of tight turns though. Construction on the 198 was not in progress on the weekend. Clean and clear.

Well there ya have it! Feel free to ask me more about it. More than happy to explain in detail or post pics!

Happy trails!

Edit: a word

Edit 2: btw, Gaia GPS worked great! If you don't have it, I recommend downloading it and get the basic membership.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited: