Planning a trip to Uwharrie National Forest.

• HTML tutorial

RyanNC

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm relatively new to NC and I'm looking to make my first trip out to Uwharrie National Forest. From what I gathered through researching there are plenty of areas that allow dispersed camping. I was looking at something close to Badin lake, Art Lilley caught my eye. My only concern is I want to be in a more secluded area. I don't want to be camping right on top of other people like a developed campground. This will also be my first time dispersed camping. We will be using a RTT and awning attached to my truck. From my understand as long as I'm in one of the dispersed camping areas I can just pull off into a nice secluded spot and set up camp correct? I also read that ground fires are ok but I'd like to double check on that with anyone else who has been to Uwharrie.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is a first for me but something that I have been wanting to do for quite a while.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

If you're going during the week this time of year, the campgrounds will be pretty secluded. Weekends, not so much. Stop at Eldorado Outpost to buy your pass and talk to them about what you'd like to do. They will have good recommendations.

Kdj

Rank 0

Contributor I

Naptown
Stayed in badin lake campground this time last year during the week. Only one other spot was occupied. Nice forest service campground. Also drove down to end of deep water trail. Looked really nice but guess it would get busy on a weekend. The outpost was also really helpfull.

Reactions: justjames