Launch Member

Contributor III

Midlothian, VA, USA
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Pope
Member #

I’m planning a trip along the three day trip challenge format and I was looking to start out near Asheville N.C. My plan is to drive down that way on the first day From Richmond VA and then work my Way back over the next two or three days. I’ll be in a stock 4runner trail edition/TRD Off-road.
I don’t have to be 100% off road the whole trip but I would like to drive trails and forest roads as much as possible.

I’m looking for info on dispersed camping areas And trails to drive in the Pisgah National Forest. I’ve found and area called Victor rd that supposedly has some camp sites along it but I haven’t found much information outside of that. Any intel would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
Brown Mountain OHV in NC has several dispersed campsites. I also heard you can camp in a few places on Old Hwy 105 in the Lineville Falls Area. Once yet back up into VA the Mt Rogers Area (Whitetop comes to mind) has some camping. I think if you stay close to the TAT or the AT when you do your planning, you should be able to fulfill your objectives.

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

A little north of Asheville is Hurricane Creek which can have some pretty tough areas - if you don't have any recovery gear and are travelling alone go ahead and skip it unless you want to wait for someone that might be able to help. Depending on the weather a couple days before it could get messy and tricky. It's a lot of fun and has a couple of nice spots to set up camp. I'll be running it on the 18th or 19th and then off to some other off-road trail or FS road the next day for a second night of camping. Currently researching now and looking to stay in the mid to northern nc mountains.

Reactions: lilredtrailboss

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
We spent the day in Pisgah last weekend. There’s a trail called Yellow Gap Rd, but if I read the sign right, it’s closed till July 8th.
Just south of it, literally a few minutes, there’s Avery Creek Rd. I only saw camping spots on the southern end of it, but also signs were up saying no camping. I didn’t get out of the Jeep to see the small print so I’m not sure how long that is for.

Avery rd is just wore out gravel rd. It was still fun to drive with the kids though.There were small sedans and coupes on it. Even saw a a small Tesla. If that tells ya how easy it is.

I found these trails through this forum, one of the guys was awesome enough to put the Gaia points on here. If I wasn’t computer/tech illiterate I would upload them for ya.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

A little north of Asheville is Hurricane Creek which can have some pretty tough areas - if you don't have any recovery gear and are travelling alone go ahead and skip it unless you want to wait for someone that might be able to help. Depending on the weather a couple days before it could get messy and tricky. It's a lot of fun and has a couple of nice spots to set up camp. I'll be running it on the 18th or 19th and then off to some other off-road trail or FS road the next day for a second night of camping. Currently researching now and looking to stay in the mid to northern nc mountains.
It is my understanding that Hurricane Creek has been closed by the FS. You might want to check before driving there.........

Reactions: Pathkiller

Chipperrva

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Midlothian, VA, USA
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Pope
Member #

Thanks for the replies. I already had a route planned for this trip but honestly it was more of a road trip than overlanding. I was hoping to get more time off road than on. Either way it should be a good time. I’ll definitely look at some of the suggestions. Old NC 105 looks particularly interesting to me. I was able to download the Gaia route from the routes sub forum. Now let’s hope that things don’t get shut down again due to COVID-19 cases spiking again.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Old NC 105 is a county road and is traveled regularly by locals. I think it's doubtful it will be closed to traffic but the camping along it will get closed if the virus rebounds in the area. IMHO

Nbharris350

Rank 0

Contributor I

Cary, NC, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Harris
I'm planning to do some camping and trail riding around sliding rock next week. Do you guys know of any dispersed camping areas near brevard? also i'd like to know how the trip went, if you did it and any more info on Victor road. tia

Chipperrva

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Midlothian, VA, USA
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Pope
Member #

I'm planning to do some camping and trail riding around sliding rock next week. Do you guys know of any dispersed camping areas near brevard? also i'd like to know how the trip went, if you did it and any more info on Victor road. tia
The trip was great. We ended up on old nc 105 instead of Victor rd, we camped there Thursday night. From there we went north to the Mt Rogers recreation area in VA and camped at the Mt Comers overlook campground that we had all to our selves on Friday night. My wife woke up Saturday with a bad migraine so we decided to cut the trip short and head home. We were able to do the Scales trail on the way home and we had lunch at the top. As far as anymore info on trails and such around brevard I couldn’t tell you. I do know that that the area we were in around old nc 105 was beautiful and we will be exploring there again soon.

Reactions: justjames

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
The trip was great. We ended up on old nc 105 instead of Victor rd, we camped there Thursday night. From there we went north to the Mt Rogers recreation area in VA and camped at the Mt Comers overlook campground that we had all to our selves on Friday night. My wife woke up Saturday with a bad migraine so we decided to cut the trip short and head home. We were able to do the Scales trail on the way home and we had lunch at the top. As far as anymore info on trails and such around brevard I couldn’t tell you. I do know that that the area we were in around old nc 105 was beautiful and we will be exploring there again soon.
I bet the weather beat the hell out of the 94 degrees and humid here in Raleigh, lol!

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
It is my understanding that Hurricane Creek has been closed by the FS. You might want to check before driving there.........
I went up Hurricane Creek this weekend. Open all the way through to Max Patch Road. You can see several areas were some people have gone OFF the trail, I am sure I don't have to say this in this group but please "stay on the trail".

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
I’m planning a trip along the three day trip challenge format and I was looking to start out near Asheville N.C. My plan is to drive down that way on the first day From Richmond VA and then work my Way back over the next two or three days. I’ll be in a stock 4runner trail edition/TRD Off-road.
I don’t have to be 100% off road the whole trip but I would like to drive trails and forest roads as much as possible.

I’m looking for info on dispersed camping areas And trails to drive in the Pisgah National Forest. I’ve found and area called Victor rd that supposedly has some camp sites along it but I haven’t found much information outside of that. Any intel would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Did you ever get the info? What areas of Pisgah?

Commander09

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
SAMUEL
Last Name
GUTHRIE
Considering riding Hurricane Creek in the near future. I've read many things about this trail. Some say its really rough and others say stock vehicles even 2wd can do it. Is anyone aware of the current conditions? 09 Jeep Commander here with a 2'' rough country lift and 31'' tires.

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
Been twice in a month. It is rough in a couple of sections, so as always, go with a buddy especially if it is the first time on that trail (also if it has been a couple of months as trails can change quickly).

Member I

North Carolina
First Name
Nino
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Took an amazing forest road that's near hurricane Creek across i40. It's the road leading to buzzard roost no idea the name tho. Went in a 2020 Trailboss and had great time planning to head back again this month. Wanted to go on hurricane Creek but I my trailboss would have some problems with all the rain and no recovery gear

Attachments

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Hey guys i was looking into maybe doing Hurricane creek this weekend or any trails around there looking to do some dispersed camping in the area also. Does anyone know if Hurricane creek is open also I’m in a stock Tacoma TRD off road on 33’s will that be ok for the trail? Any recommendations for some nice trails they don’t need to be to technical and some good camping spots in the area would much appreciated. Thanks