Launch Member

Contributor I

Ireland
First Name
val
Last Name
lynam
Member #

Attached a new pintle toe hitch to my landy, we don't have these over here so it will go great with my sanky. IMG_20191207_165606.jpegIMG_20191207_165639.jpeg

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Looks good, you did a nice job!

I like pintle hitches and have used them a lot over the years. It's a strong, solid, easy to hook up hitch system and you don't have to worry much about your Buddys trying to borrow it. .

The drawbacks are only being about to use a limited amount of trailers (I know I have a pintle mounted on a 2" receiver so it slides in my bumper), you get a lot of banging when the tow vehicle and trailer are moving in different directions or speeds. Unless you have a revolving pintle getting the tow vehicle and trailer in different directions off-road could land you in trouble.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Pintle hitches are cool on old retro vehicles but trailers rarely have the ring. Retro and cool but only practical if you have a dedicated trailer. And then only practical if you never need to tow that trailer with a different vehicle.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Pintle hitches are the real deal for hard use. Used to have tons of them at work. Customers trailers though. We standardized our own to BS weaksauce ball hitches.

Pintles are easier to hitch up, more secure, obvious latches make them impossible to screw up. You can weld a shark fin to them for the lil overland trailers so that they don't get locked up weird when backing up off road, up hill.

Should be silent on the road for the most part. Tongue weight and trailer brakes are most likely set incorrectly when they're noisy. Or nonexistent on little trailers.

Reactions: mep1811