Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

I'm planning to go to the Pikes Peak hill climb June 2022 and am looking for some on mountain camping suggestions. I was thinking about Glen Cove or 9 Mile. Has anyone stayed at either of these or other places that can offer up any advice? It'll most likely just be me (small site, no trailer) so I'm not limited to most restrictions.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm planning to go to the Pikes Peak hill climb June 2022 and am looking for some on mountain camping suggestions. I was thinking about Glen Cove or 9 Mile. Has anyone stayed at either of these or other places that can offer up any advice? It'll most likely just be me (small site, no trailer) so I'm not limited to most restrictions.
There are places to camp right off the Pikes Peak Road… I usually would camp on “Devil’s Corner” (but I also had my wrecker there to pull people back up onto the road).
Are you staying for the whole week (the race is a week long counting the time trials). Also the Pikes Peak Race is one of several Peak climbs that take place from June into July.

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

Thanks for the info! Watching the race is more of a bonus, the trip itself is the destination for me and I hope to spend my time exploring the back country around Durango, Telluride and maybe Ouray more than the race. This is the main reason for my rig build. Looks like at this time it's going to be cost prohibitive for just me alone so I may skip it or just take my chances on the race and skip camping up there for a better seat. I'm mainly looking for information of the Saturday night camping spots on mountain just before the race.