Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Some of us were exploring before computers and drones and definitely before social media existed.
Back then only babies took selfies.

But we all felt exactly like you on the roof of yer Wrangler.

We never even plastic bottles, never mind bottled water. We just drank from a stream.
Starting a car was a process. Depress the clutch, pump the gas, pull the choke, turn the key, get a smooth idle by adjusting the choke, wait for the lifters to get oil pressure and quit clattering, pump the windshield washer with yer left foot, turn on the wipers to clear the frost, gas, clutch, go..... stall, repeat. Gas, clutch, accelerate and watch the wipers stop as the vacuum disappears. Slide in the choke. Adjust the radio tuning. Shoulder check for a lane change. Red light, stop and play with the throttle to keep it running.

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Unfortunately, no pics of the truly early days for me. We began with just washed out country roads and stuff near the town I grew up in. We "officially" started off-roading with lots of trips to Hollister Hills in my mid/late teens (born in '82). Usually we just did day trips, but occasionally we camped, so I guess that was kinda Overlanding? Then we got more into Pismo. Lots of great, crazy times. This is one of the few pics I have from the Pismo days, unfortunately:
flyingbronco.jpg
No, I'm not Erik, and I'm not the camera man either. I was the camera guy initially (well, initially I was in the Bronco then kindly offered to get out, lol), but this was the days when you hit the button the a digital camera and it took the picture approximately three and a half weeks later. I wasn't doing a good job of getting the shot, so another buddy offered to lay down in the sand closer to where it was landing, and obviously was better in-tune with the camera's timing. So, I was standing just to the left of the camera, and on of my buddies I still dune with is the guy in the background with his old GF (yes, the white hoodie is a girl... it could be very cold in Pismo and apparently giant jean legs were still a thing in '00?). It's hard to believe that was almost 20 years ago...

idahoRRS2.jpg
IdahoRRS.jpg
This was the first thing I would say I truly "Overlanded" in. Yes, going to Hollister or Pismo and camping sort of fits the description, but those were specific small parks and were 99% on-road until you get to the park itself. With the Range (it was a '06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, pretty well-optioned with the rear locker and I believe literally EVERY option available in '06) I think I actually did some "Overlanding" long before I was even aware of the term. I got it in '08 or '09 and these pics was from Sept '10 out in Idaho right before I sold it and got my '11 D'max in late Oct/early Nov '10. The only mods on the rig were HSE wheels (19" instead of factory Supercharged 20"s) with Goodyear MT/Rs. I kind of wish I still had it. It did amazingly offroad (not as good as the WJ, especially not having real armor) and ate up highway miles like nothing (as long as there were enough gas stations, lol). Anyway, it was the first rig that let just go explore off the beaten path and find spots to camp. And, believe it or not, it was SUPER reliable for me, and for my buddy that bought it from me when I got the D'max.

-TJ

Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
obverdun.JPG
1983 at the Gorge du Verdon in France, we were told that you could find gold in the riverbed. Fourteen people of 7 nationalities left the beach at St Tropez and headed for the hills in two VW Combies. We never found any gold but that might of had something to do with the 45 litres of red wine we bought at a local co-op winery.

AirbossWiley

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Holly, MI, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Wiley
Member #

No Pictures Of My First Time Off-Roading, But This Was My First Bog With My K5 & The First Time I Floated My Mower. Looking Forward To Getting Some Overland Pics This Year!
Bogger.pngFloater.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: softroad.406

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Pics of the first time I took my previous car offroad, I liked it, but if I take my current car offroad I would smash the sump.

41718427484_480812c765_o.jpg

28568457198_69d0fa972e_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dilldog

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Crappy film camera of the 70's, 1 roll was all red tinged.

1976 bed set up for my 1973 88 Land Rover

bed 88.jpg

With the family, needed a bigger car, 1967 109 Land Rover in the Black Rock Desert, it was called car camping then, 1987;

PD_0001.JPG

On the same playa that the Burning Man is now held

PD_0004-001.JPG

Fun times!

PD_0025.JPG

PD_0060.JPG

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Imports - 1 of 1.jpeg
Eastern Kalahari Desert in 1973: Peugeot 404 Estate, with extra potable water tank, strengthened rear frame, and lots of enthusiasm. Drove it for a year and half in the Kalahari, Limpopo, and Matabeleland. The nearest tarred highway to this photo location was about 500 Km southwest (or only a couple of hundred Km if you drove into the next country.