Photography on the trail

• HTML tutorial

Wanderinwill

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Flowery Branch, GA, USA
Member #

Photography for me has become a passion. It is a way for me to capture moments in time; adventures, emotions, life events, stories, things that tell a story without words.

Ive seen several posts, but most have some age on them so I thought I might post something new. Who likes to incorporate photography into their overloading adventures??

For myself, I love to shoot everywhere I get the chance. Backpacking, kayaking, camping, and overloading have all given me an awesome platform to attempt to broaden my skillset. In no sense of the word am I a professional, moderate amateur at best, but I LOVE it.

I grew from a Nikon D3300 kit camera to a Canon platform, mostly using a 1D Mark IV.

Anyone care to share their passion as well??

Rubicon_Flash

Rank I

Enthusiast I

North Texas
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ATB
I shoot Canon and Nikon (and GoPro). Getting too expensive to have both eco systems. Selling my Canon gear and keeping the Nikon D850 and D500. I like carrying the super wide Sigma 14=24 (but man is it heavy). In addition, I bring along the GoPro, not really into video that much, but beginning to like a little more. I still like the iPhone for the quickies where I don't have to worry about settings and such.

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

My camera gear goes on all my adventures. Started with Minolta in the film days, switched their digitals right before they sold off to Sony. Jumped to Canon and stayed their a while because it was easy for my buddy and I to share equipment. He jumped to Fuji, which I fell in love with and thought the images coming out their cameras beat Canon or Nikon plus it was smaller. So I sold off all my Canon gear and jumped ship.

Running a Fuji X-T1 with a 10-24/2.8, 50-140/2.8, 18-55 (kit lens) and a Samyang 12/2.

The problem is all these YouTube people are ruining photography for me..............and I mean that in the nicest way. Guys like Primal Outdoors, Lifestyle Overland, etc etc, then the photography guys I watch who live in Vancouver or Northern England. I watch their stuff and then get bored looking at Michigan stuff. SW Michigan is kinda boring to me. You can only shoot so many sunsets, lighthouses and fall colors. City/Street scapes do nothing for me. I hate doing people photography too. Would love to do more UP photography but for me even a two hour trip to the Manistee National Forest kills my lower back and I'm sore for the next week or so.

Now that my kids are long gone from their High School sports days, I've been in a horrible shooting rut and I'm not sure how to get past it. Just like camping, no one wants to shoot......well I have the one buddy, but he's very busy (legitamly, not just says he's busy).

The struggle is real!

Elco joe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ouray, CO, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Skalsky
Member #

I second the I overland because of photography.
I shoot the canon format. I also enjoy medium and 4x5. Looking to incorporate both film and digital again. Both are very fun and each give me a different thrill. Especially dark room printing. :grinning:

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

I am the same - I love my photography and enjoy getting out with the camera.

I also enjoy camping, touring and history so for me 4WDing is a means to an end, it helps me to get to places that I normally wouldn't be able to get to and to combine all my passions into one :grinning: :grinning:

Karl

Reactions: grubworm

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I bought my wife a sony a6000 last year. She's since gotten bored with it so i've been trying to learn how to shoot with it. When i get the shot decently right it makes me not wanna take pics with my pixel phone ever again lol