Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Enjoying the positive responses! This is in questions, would it get more traffic if I start a thread in a different location?
If everyone is ok with the date, you could make a Rally Point for it. Set the meet-up location, ect.

Reactions: KAC

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Enjoying the positive responses! This is in questions, would it get more traffic if I start a thread in a different location?
If you want to get real serious you can make it a rally point in the map section. Hopefully we can find someone who knows where they’re going. Other wise we can just wonder.

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hunt Valley, Cockeysville, MD, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
Hope you meant wander.

I have done it before so it won't be the blind leading the blind. I will set up a rally point and will let you know here when I've done so. Obviously, I want to solicit any ideas you guys have about times, locations, etc., so I'm happy to change things if somebody has a better idea.

Reactions: TerryD

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Hope you meant wander.

I have done it before so it won't be the blind leading the blind. I will set up a rally point and will let you know here when I've done so. Obviously, I want to solicit any ideas you guys have about times, locations, etc., so I'm happy to change things if somebody has a better idea.
Oh perfect. Yes I did mean wander. I’m sure the rally point will gain some interest with others as well.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

PRM is an easy run. The most you have to worry about is the motorcycles an ATV’s coming around the blind turns. Every one plays nice for the most part.

I have run it several times with no issues. Although, I prefer to run it north to south, because it puts me in the closest direction home.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

If you want to make a weekend out of it you can camp right next to PMR's North entrance at Little Fort Campground, or any of the dispersed campsites about 3 miles north of the entrance on FR66, right near Mudhole Gap. And there's always Elizabeth Furnace Campground down on Fort Valley Rd and Camp Roosevelt Campground at the south end of Fort Valley. That whole area is one of my favorite playgrounds for camping, hiking, mountain biking, etc. Lots of fun!

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
If you want to make a weekend out of it you can camp right next to PMR's North entrance at Little Fort Campground, or any of the dispersed campsites about 3 miles north of the entrance on FR66, right near Mudhole Gap. And there's always Elizabeth Furnace Campground down on Fort Valley Rd and Camp Roosevelt Campground at the south end of Fort Valley. That whole area is one of my favorite playgrounds for camping, hiking, mountain biking, etc. Lots of fun!
Great info. I’ll be staying two nights somewhere. Thanks

Reactions: sabjku

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
I looked it up because it sounds interesting. How hard is this trail, I saw some pictures with what looked like big mud bogs/water holes? I also saw that a permit is required to run it.
Thanks
From my experience, given normal weather conditions, it's a Green-some Blue, or maybe 2-4-ish?

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Trail is pretty easy. It's lots of rocks, but no big obstacles. All of the water/mud holes are off to the side of the main trail. Totally doable in stock 4wd's.

Day passes are only $5 and can be purchased at the Fort Valley convenience store, right where Woodstock Tower Rd. t's into Fort Valley Rd, about 10 minutes from the north entrance of PMR. Great beer selection there as well!

Just an FYI....PMR is closed for the winter.

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
Trail is pretty easy. It's lots of rocks, but no big obstacles. All of the water/mud holes are off to the side of the main trail. Totally doable in stock 4wd's.

Day passes are only $5 and can be purchased at the Fort Valley convenience store, right where Woodstock Tower Rd. t's into Fort Valley Rd, about 10 minutes from the north entrance of PMR. Great beer selection there as well!

Just an FYI....PMR is closed for the winter.

Thanks very much for the additional info in this thread. Also appreciate the FYI, pretty sure we'll be fine for our 4/13 outing.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

For the new people going to PMR.

As said, this is an easy trail to run, but fun for the first timer.

While out there check into the “Woodstock observation tower” on the north end. It’s not a drive to deal. Park and small hike, climb the tower and look down in to town.

I some how keep forgetting to do this.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/cs/recarea?ss=110808&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003738&navid=110240000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&position=generalinfo&recid=74047&ttype=recarea&pname=Woodstock Tower Observation Site

https://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/WoodstockTower/

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS

While out there check into the “Woodstock observation tower” on the north end. It’s not a drive to deal. Park and small hike, climb the tower and look down in to town.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/cs/recarea?ss=110808&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003738&navid=110240000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&position=generalinfo&recid=74047&ttype=recarea&pname=Woodstock Tower Observation Site

That sounds like a pretty cool thing to see. Thank you

Reactions: Hafaday

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Oh yea, can’t forget about the Tower! It’s only about 1/2 mile past the entrance to PMR and the hike is about 5 minutes out from where you park. Great views and if you look just below the tower you can see where people launch for hang gliding.

A couple of other points of interest locally....Woodstock Cafe for some fantastic food, coffee, beer and then Woodstock Brewery right around the corner from there for more beer and food!

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

I did this trail for first time last year and no issues whatsoever for stock truck. Actually a stock FWD RAV4 one truck in front of me did it with a few scrapes. So You can do the trail in 2wd actually. Some minor mud holes but nothing big at all and can drive around them as needed. Look at my avatar as that was taken along with other Toyota’s half way through the trail in a large field where most take a photo opp. Here is pic of some trucks including the rav4 in that same fieldIMG_7980.JPG

Last edited: