Peters Mill Run Questions

• HTML tutorial

BrockSamsonZR2

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I live in North Virginia and was going to make the trip out to Peters Mill Run Saturday morning.

About me:
- First time attempting to find an OHV trail and travel it.
- Looking for a good beginner trail.
- Vehicle - 2018 Colorado ZR2 (front and rear lockers)
- I have done some googling on this area and know that it is in fact still open, I need to buy a pass and the area is shared with hikers and ATVs.

Questions:
- Looking at GAIA GPS, Google Maps and some websites maps to include this one:
https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/virginia_03336/ride_d822.htm
Is there a difference between the ATV, OHV and hiking trails? I see paths marked as "Peters Mill Run Trail", "Peters Mill Run ATV Trail", "Trail 433", and specifically labeled hiking trails. I am assuming this is all the same thing, right? Also, obviously, Peter's Mill Run is body of water that runs along the trail. I am sure this will all be obvious once I get there but want to be prepared.

-I plan on going very early Saturday morning, right when the sun comes up. Can I get a pass at a 24hr convenient store nearby?

- I was going to enter the trail head near Little Fort Campground. Any reason to not do that?

-Really basic beginner question, I did google and read https://www.drivingline.com/articles/off-road-basics-trail-etiquette/... there are two trail heads so there is a chance that I could encounter someone on the trail going the opposite way and want to make sure I handle that as safely as possible. Is there any special considerations or etiquette I should know for this area? Don't want to do anything unsafe or run anyone off the trail.

-I read recently someone did this trail in 2WD so I am not too worried but any trail condition I should be aware of for this area? It might rain and there might still be some snow on the ground.

Thanks for your help!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm not familiar with PMR but I will just say that proper trail etiquette is the smaller group pulls over to let the larger pass when you meet head on.

Wish I could ride out and meet you, I'd love to check it out myself.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

To keep this short an sweet.

PMR is a two way traffic trail. Easy to run, but can have other vehicles coming at you. Mainly motorcycles, ATV’s and so on. There are a few places to pull over and let them pass. Other places can be kinda tight.

For the most part... everyone plays nice (I’ve never had an issue).

That said.. the main vehicle trail is all uses. Then you have he bottom section which has a main trail in, then side trails for smaller stuff being the atv’s/bikes.

Hopefully the map works.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_000235.pdf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/passes-permits/?cid=fsbdev3_000477

Oh yeah.... Welcome to he madness.

Pith Dude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Lueker
Member #

I'm late, but from experience I'd have suggested going South to North; I came in from the North and we had the sun in our eyes most of the way. Otherwise a fun, easy trail.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Would anyone want to do some exploring of this area in the spring? Iv never been to the area. I’d love someone to show me around. And ofcrouse complete peters mill run because I’m a Jeep fan boy and want the jeep badge of
Honor

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hunt Valley, Cockeysville, MD, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
Would anyone want to do some exploring of this area in the spring? Iv never been to the area. I’d love someone to show me around. And ofcrouse complete peters mill run because I’m a Jeep fan boy and want the jeep badge of
Honor

Looks like we have some time the last weekend in May. I would love the Badge of Honor for it too! DM me if you want to talk directly, and of course, the more the merrier if anybody else wants to join in.

Reactions: tacoclifford

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign