DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Starting a thread for the coming year to consolidate my thoughts, adventures and projects.

Immediate goals are to hit Elk Sproul and Susquehannock state forest to check campsites and confirm routes.d_000731.jpg

This past year was the worst year for camping for us. We usually camp every weekend. We missed quite a few because of the popularity and a lack of interest due it.

So, we are hoping to do a lot more...moving even further away from established campgrounds.

As far as projects...the wife said our 2003 RAM is giving itself to be our dedicated forest camping rig. Gonna build out the bed for us and a new tent for the kids. Probably going to be a slow process...but it is a start. 20170524_192636.jpg2018-03-02 09.52.18.jpg

We also have the ongoing pop up camper conversion to an off grid/road camper/recreational toy transporter. It is tore down ready for rebuild.Message_1586904850626.jpg20210402_130736.jpg

The rest will just be a continuation of my Central PA overlanding trip scouting and as much time in nature that we can muster.
Screenshot_20211229-080512.png

Abreu93

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Erickson
Last Name
Abreu
Starting a thread for the coming year to consolidate my thoughts, adventures and projects.

Immediate goals are to hit Elk Sproul and Susquehannock state forest to check campsites and confirm routes.View attachment 218998

This past year was the worst year for camping for us. We usually camp every weekend. We missed quite a few because of the popularity and a lack of interest due it.

So, we are hoping to do a lot more...moving even further away from established campgrounds.

As far as projects...the wife said our 2003 RAM is giving itself to be our dedicated forest camping rig. Gonna build out the bed for us and a new tent for the kids. Probably going to be a slow process...but it is a start. View attachment 218999View attachment 219000

We also have the ongoing pop up camper conversion to an off grid/road camper/recreational toy transporter. It is tore down ready for rebuild.View attachment 219001View attachment 219002

The rest will just be a continuation of my Central PA overlanding trip scouting and as much time in nature that we can muster.
View attachment 219003
Thats going to be awesome man! I live in Columbia County and i am definitely interested on seeing your progress with these new trails and and Parks/Forest. Iam preparing an 03 Nissan pathfinder to take my 1 year old outdoors more often.

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
Thanks again for your exploration and sharing. We were hoping to get out more in 21 and also found the continued increased popularity of folks getting away from the cities to be challenging. But on to 2022!

Commish1999

Rank VII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Thanks for all the on going info.

I live in NE Ohio, but have lived in both Pittsburgh and Wilkes-Barre (Forty-Fort) and have explored the area many times.

I'm hoping to get out to the AF a lot more this year and hopefully follow your route through Central PA.

Perhaps we can meet up.

Cheers to 2022...!

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

Update us when you’re going to go. We had to Allegheny quite often and I’m planning a group trip mid summer to somewhere in central Pennsylvania I don’t know if we’re going to go to Rothrock or anthracite. Let me know we might tagalong!!

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Update us when you’re going to go. We had to Allegheny quite often and I’m planning a group trip mid summer to somewhere in central Pennsylvania I don’t know if we’re going to go to Rothrock or anthracite. Let me know we might tagalong!!
My exploration is completely spur of the moment. But, I try to give a heads up when I got something planned.

Rothrock is my favorite forest. It has great motorized campsites and is 30 mins from home.

The scenery and natural attractions are awesome also. It is mostly your typical forest roads...but does have 3 4x4 HC trails...emphasis on clearance...4x4 will not be needed...unless...snow.

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

My exploration is completely spur of the moment. But, I try to give a heads up when I got something planned.

Rothrock is my favorite forest. It has great motorized campsites and is 30 mins from home.

The scenery and natural attractions are awesome also. It is mostly your typical forest roads...but does have 3 4x4 HC trails...emphasis on clearance...4x4 will not be needed...unless...snow.
Sounds perfect!! I’ve lead many groups and am a 25+yr seasoned veteran of off-roading and rock crawling and really enjoy the travel part of overlanding.. I love spur of the moment and I’m lucky here in Ohio I can hit some nasty washouts and ledges within 20min from my driveway.

Keep us posted if you plan a trip a few days in advance.. your only a few hour drive for me.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
My original plan for my next area to explore was Tuscarora SF and Buchanan. Purple Lizards Tuscarora map is running a bit behind...and Buchanan is just in the opposite direction of most of my favorite places.

I do plan to get there for some camping and mapping...but it is not a priority.

Bald Eagle...well...i have seen enough of it...and except for site 47...probably not gonna spend my time there. With the exception of the area north of RT 192 connecting with Tiadaghton for my trips through the pine creek area.

My focus is going to be on getting campsites scouted and mapping done using Moshannon as the set in for getting to Elk and Sproul. I hate traveling on the highway...so I can get to them on the back roads...mostly dirt...just takes a while.

I already have google maps set to get me in a direct route through Moshannon to Elk...you know....to try to keep me on track.

I am hoping to get of to a great start with the New Year Saturday.

Reactions: TSO_NJ

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
My other threads...that I update frequently with specific info.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I highly recommend checking out Tri State Overland and Central PA overland on Facebook.

I am not a fan of Facebook...but am glad I broke down and got it to join these 2 great groups.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I like the way your wife thinks...:smile:

Do all the PA state park dispersed camping require permits/ reservations?
Pennsylvania State Parks require a paid reservation. www.reserveamerica.com

Pennsylvania State Forests are 90% permit required at designated campsite only. It is free. 7 days maximum stay.

I believe Sproul requires the free permit...but camping is pretty much anywhere meeting the guidelines for distance from water, etc.

Allegheny National Forest offers dispersed camping for free on a first come first serve basis.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Some links for seasonal road openings during Hunting seasons, etc.

Some are closed already...but some are still open. Supposed to get 3 to 6 inches of snow this weekend. Could be fun to get out and enjoy a fresh painting by mother nature.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Started plotting routes in Tuscarora State Forest.

Found Wolf Road...which is listed as a full length drivable trail on an old map and the east end still being on the current download map. And they both show no gates.Screenshot_20220106-122439.png20220106_122516.jpg

And I found these other onesScreenshot_20220106-121914.png

But...apparently they are gated...or long closed.

Back to the drawing board.

The lizard map should be coming soon.

It will overlay with the Rothrock and Raystown map...so gonna be easy to make a route to them all.Screenshot_20220104-171017.png

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
This may or may not be useful. But it should give a decent indication of what to expect when traveling.
Remember, forest roads are not maintained and a fresh snow can become an ice slide when the sun comes out melting it and then night comes and it freezes.

Reactions: JeepingMike

Explorador

Rank IV

Traveler III

Aliquippa, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Elvin
Last Name
Ocasio
Member #

Service Branch
US SRMY

Immediate goals are to hit Elk Sproul and Susquehannock state forest to check campsites and confirm routes.View attachment 218998

As far as projects...the wife said our 2003 RAM is giving itself to be our dedicated forest camping rig. Gonna build out the bed for us and a new tent for the kids. Probably going to be a slow process...but it is a start. View attachment 218999View attachment 219000

We also have the ongoing pop up camper conversion to an off grid/road camper/recreational toy transporter. It is tore down ready for rebuild.View attachment 219001View attachment 219002

View attachment 219003
.....I'm interested in your progress, I'm following this thread and looking forward to see the routes.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So. Have been fighting an inner battle with sharing information about my research. Facebook disappoints me often with the public, and I get discouraged sharing info. I guess going forward...if I can find something in a Google search I will report my knowledge. If not, gonna keep it for myself(or members I have built a "trust" in)

All that said...with the new Tuscarora map from Purple Lizard... I purchased the remainder of their Maps for Pennsylvania.

I now also have Ohiopyle/Forbes SF and Michaux.

Going to expand my dirt road therapy into those areas, but am looking to focus on Tuscarora and Elk SF. Moshannon and Rothrock are a whim away...so will be spending time there too.

We have had a few State Park Campground trips in already. Anxious to get back to forest adventures very soon. Hiking and wild life watching will be a much bigger part of the puzzle this year.

Hope everyone is well and already or soon to be adventuring in the great forests of Pennsylvania.

Explorador

Rank IV

Traveler III

Aliquippa, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Elvin
Last Name
Ocasio
Member #

Service Branch
US SRMY

Sounds perfect!! I’ve lead many groups and am a 25+yr seasoned veteran of off-roading and rock crawling and really enjoy the travel part of overlanding.. I love spur of the moment and I’m lucky here in Ohio I can hit some nasty washouts and ledges within 20min from my driveway.

Keep us posted if you plan a trip a few days in advance.. your only a few hour drive for me.
Sign me up, I can join too.....

Reactions: DevilDodge