Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

That’s what I was hoping for. Trying to see if I can find one to demo or rent for a night so I can see if it is a fit for my family like you said. Not having much luck so I may just need to bite the bullet. My wife has bad knees so a rtt is not going to work but I love the staircase they have with an assist handle.
This is a little far from you, but here you go:

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Thanks for the detailed review of the Patriot Camper, I live in Boise as well and I am considering one. Tough decision to make without being able to see on in person. I am new to the forum and this would be my first trailer purchase.
I felt the same way. We were between the Turtleback or the Patriot. The Opus also was interesting, but just too big. So once we had it narrowed down to the Turtleback or the Patriot, our only resource was online photos and videos. They really seemed comperable but the Turtleback was significantly cheaper. We were heavily leaning towards the Turtleback for this reason. I figured the increased price of the Patriot was due to importation costs and converting it to USA specs. Otherwise, I figured they were equal.

Fortunately we got a chance to see both at the 4WD expo in Orange County last month. Seeing them in person made a huge difference. The Turtleback is a very nicely built, and solid trailer. But the Patriot is in a whole different league. After we saw them in person, the decision was a no-brainer. The Patriot is definitely worth the extra cost if you can afford it. If not, the Turtleback is a very nice option. I really don't think there are other reliable options in the USA. We just ordered the Patriot today and will pick up at the end of September. I can't possibly be more excited.

I don't see any possible way you will be disappointed.

Last edited:

Pek2001

Rank 0

Contributor I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Kendall
I felt the same way. We were between the Turtleback or the Patriot. The Opus also was interesting, but just too big. So once we had it narrowed down to the Turtleback or the Patriot, our only resource was online photos and videos. They really seemed comperable but the Turtleback was significantly cheaper. We were heavily leaning towards the Turtleback for this reason. I figured the increased price of the Patriot was due to importation costs and converting it to USA specs. Otherwise, I figured they were equal.

Fortunately we got a chance to see both at the 4WD expo in Orange County last month. Seeing them in person made a huge difference. The Turtleback is a very nicely built, and solid trailer. But the Patriot is in a whole different league. After we saw them in person, the decision was a no-brainer. The Patriot is definitely worth the extra cost if you can afford it. If not, the Turtleback is a very nice option. I really don't think there are other reliable options in the USA. We just ordered the Patriot today and will pick up at the end of September. I can't possibly be more excited.

I don't see any possible way you will be disappointed.
So glad you were able to compare the two. I took a leap of faith, because the Turtleback was on my radar as well. I had Exploration Outfitters, give me a couple of virtual tours of their floor model and this forum group helped as well. I was considering placing the same order for August/September as well, but I lucked out and someone that ordered a white X1 that was being delivered earlier this week forfeited the order. I was in the right place at the right time and it had all the options I was going to order. So I made a quick decision and pulled the trigger on the phone.

I know I will not be disappointed, nor will you. Who knows, maybe we can meet half way next year and enjoy them together. I will post pics in the next month or so when I am able to make the long haul down to Oklahoma.

Reactions: theMightyGoose

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

So glad you were able to compare the two. I took a leap of faith, because the Turtleback was on my radar as well. I had Exploration Outfitters, give me a couple of virtual tours of their floor model and this forum group helped as well. I was considering placing the same order for August/September as well, but I lucked out and someone that ordered a white X1 that was being delivered earlier this week forfeited the order. I was in the right place at the right time and it had all the options I was going to order. So I made a quick decision and pulled the trigger on the phone.

I know I will not be disappointed, nor will you. Who knows, maybe we can meet half way next year and enjoy them together. I will post pics in the next month or so when I am able to make the long haul down to Oklahoma.
For sure. Send me an update after you get it.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Did you option for the lithium battery upgrade? I thought the price sounded ridiculous. But now I'm thinking it might be worth it. Everyone keeps telling me it is.

Pek2001

Rank 0

Contributor I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Kendall
Did you option for the lithium battery upgrade? I thought the price sounded ridiculous. But now I'm thinking it might be worth it. Everyone keeps telling me it is.
I didn’t. I too thought it sounded a little ridiculous. My plan is operate as is with standard battery power and when it time to change, decide at that point.
Did you get the Webasto Heater upgrade? Mine is upgraded, that too was a big price tag.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I didn’t. I too thought it sounded a little ridiculous. My plan is operate as is with standard battery power and when it time to change, decide at that point.
Did you get the Webasto Heater upgrade? Mine is upgraded, that too was a big price tag.
No Webasto. I'll get a Little Buddy tent heater for when we're awake, and good down bags for when we're asleep. The Webasto looks interesting. But didn't seem like it was $5k kind of cool. I was thinking the same as you on the battery. But if I'm going to invest that kind of money down the road, I'd rather just do it now and save myself the trouble later. The Webasto + Lithium would be a significant cost increase.

Last edited:

Pek2001

Rank 0

Contributor I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Kendall
No Webasto. I'll get a Little Buddy tent heater for when we're awake, and good down bags for when we're asleep. The Webasto looks interesting. But didn't seem like it was $5k kind of cool. I was thinking the same as you on the battery. But if I'm going to invest that kind of money down the road, I'd rather just do it now and save myself the trouble later. The Webasto + Lithium would be a significant cost increase.
Agreed, the Webasto is a decent upgrade for the PNW area, but a bit overprice. Given the camper was already ordered I could not make a change but they worked out a compromised price. What was their lithium upgrade price?

Last edited:

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Agreed, the Webasto is a decent upgrade for the PNW area, but a bit overprice. Given the camper was already ordered I could not make a change but they worked with around a compromised price. What was their lithium upgrade price?
$3k

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Thought I'd share some posts of mine from another forum as they might have some useful info for anyone looking into a Patriot Camper.
---------
It’s been a while since I’ve posted—work, kids, life will do that. Thought I’d give an update on how things were going with the Patriot. We spent this past week living out of it in the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho. Bottom line—it’s an amazing trailer.

We were base camping with the whole family, wife, two kids (15 and 11), and two dogs. First, living quarters. The bed, main tent, and annex/kids room provided a really roomy and, most important, easy to live in space. Coming from a RTT with my Xventure the extra room, ability to have a standing/living room type area, was awesome and especially appreciated by my wife, who loved having the space, and dogs, who used to have to sleep in the back of the truck. Within that space you have access to the storage compartments on the right side of the trailer, which is super convenient to access clothes, toiletries, and whatever else you have stored there. There are also numerous charging points and the 1,000 watt inverter within that space. With the shower tent set up you are able to hop out of it and into the standing area of the tent to get dressed, etc. The annex room, while not difficult, is a bit time consuming to set up. On future trips when we are moving every day I will definitely leave it attached and fold it up with the rest of the tent under the cover. The king size bed and mattress are really comfortable. Kids enjoyed having their own space with two cots. It’s just a very livable space. Nights dipped to low 40’s and the Webasto heater, coupled with our Enlightened Equipment down quilts (awesome products that I highly recommend), kept us plenty warm.

The awning provides great coverage, which was very much appreciated when a few storms rolled through. I’d like to see them do a redesign to simplify it and make it more sturdy, along the lines of the Alu-Cab Shadow Awning, but it does the job and is made well.

The kitchen is simply awesome. Having the grill in addition to the stove is great. Burgers, pork loin—just pull the grill out, hit the igniter, and your on your way. The layout is really intuitive and just makes meal prep and cooking fun.

Speaking of intuitive, the Redarc TVMS, which controls all your electronics and manages the batteries is also awesome. The added ability to control all the lights and other electronics, as well as monitor your batteries via Bluetooth with your phone makes it even better. Seems silly, I know, but it’s one of those things that once you have and use it it’s really nice to have.

The trailer really is incredibly and impressively well engineered and built. The whole “it’s on another level” seems cliche, but it really is. Don’t just take my word. There was a couple where we were in a Black Series HQ19 (great folks) who we befriended and hung out with while there. They both commented that while they thought their trailer was well made the Patriot was just, here it is again, on another level. There was also a couple in a Mercedes/Airstream, the husband being an aerospace engineer, who commented multiple times on how impressed they were with the engineering and build quality.

Lastly, but important, it tows really well.
Have you had it out in much wind? We seem to camp a lot where high winds are a problem. Wondering how the awning holds up. I hear the tent is super solid, but noisy, in wind. Haven't heard much about the awning.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I'm a new owner of the Patriot Camper X2. Slightly smaller than the X1 but larger than the Adventure Trailer Horizon I'm moving up from. I live/work in Death Valley National Park for 3-4 months every year and the added space/fuel/water capacity will really be appreciated. I went with the X2 for the greater simplicity and lesser cost. The only change I have made to it so far is dumping the nice stove it came with and installing a Cook Partner. Agree that the service from the sole US dealer in OK is stellar.
What influenced your decision to dump the Patriot's stove and get the Cook Partner? It seems like the stove which comes with the Patriot is well made. And I like the little warming/toasting tray beneath the burners. But I haven't received my trailer yet. So I'm just curious about your decision.