Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

We will be camping near Pagosa Springs for 3 days in mid June as part of a 3 week trip through AZ, NM, and CO. Anyone have trail suggestions for day trips?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

We will be camping near Pagosa Springs for 3 days in mid June as part of a 3 week trip through AZ, NM, and CO. Anyone have trail suggestions for day trips?
I'm not too familiar with the trails in that area other than that they are currently well buried in snow. Looping in @Neal A. Tew as he knows SoCo trails and has been getting some other trips together.

Boort

Reactions: monark192

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I'm not too familiar with the trails in that area other than that they are currently well buried in snow. Looping in @Neal A. Tew as he knows SoCo trails and has been getting some other trips together.

Boort
I looked for trails in my usual sources when @monark192 originally posted this and didn't immediately find anything. There used to be a regular gathering in Pagosa Springs, but now I can't find anything.

@Medictsl , @NMBruce, @Trailbound , @Mtn Man , @Kent Lord, @JustinHCC, can you help us out?

If I recall correctly, there are some decent forest service roads to the east of Pagosa. A few years ago I left Antonito and came out near Creede. I believe I got it out of one of the CO trail books.

Reactions: monark192 and Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@monark192
A few years ago I left Antonito and came out near Creede. I believe I got it out of one of the CO trail books.
I just pulled out my Funtreks Colorado book and checked their website (https://funtreks.com/off-road-trails/) they don't list much in the Pagosa area.

I can recommend that you stop in and grab some chow at the Pagosa Baking Company (238 Pagosa St) Damn fine Breakfast burritos, bread and PIES!

Boort

monark192

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Thanks everyone. Just the tip on the breakfast burritos made this a question well worth posting :yum:

Reactions: Boort

RusD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Choctaw, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
D
Member #

Let me know if you find anything. I will be there for about a week at the end of the month. A couple other food suggestions for you as well. There is a place call the Choke Cherry that makes their own jams, salsa, etc. If you like caramels, you have to pick some up they're delicious. There is also a really good Italian restaurant called Marconi's.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Let me know if you find anything. I will be there for about a week at the end of the month. A couple other food suggestions for you as well. There is a place call the Choke Cherry that makes their own jams, salsa, etc. If you like caramels, you have to pick some up they're delicious. There is also a really good Italian restaurant called Marconi's.
We picked up some goodies at Choke Cherry just a few weeks ago!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Stop by the Welcome/Information Center as they have some free caramel samples.

Trailbound

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Thanks everyone. Just the tip on the breakfast burritos made this a question well worth posting :yum:
Ha! their burritos are good UNTIL you try Sage Breakfast burritos. His biscuits and gravy is made with pork belly chunks and green chili, mmmm mmmm good. They are just down the street (east) from the Pagosa Baking Co. . Their lunch menu is also of the charts good!
there are some beautiful trails northeast of Pagosa towards Creed/ Antonito that I frequent to go camping and get away. Nothing difficult, just high altitude so its cold most nights and hard to breath/sleep for some. Would love to meet up and show some of you around!! Let me know!

Last edited: