Rank III

Enthusiast III

Texas 77845, United States
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Horton
Member #

Me and my Wife are planing our first trip for the South Beach area of Padre Island National Seashore. I dont have any experience driving on sand. My rig at this time will be a 2019 Rav4 XLE AWD with some Open Country AT 3s. I would greatly appriciate any advice for driving on sand or on beaches.
Hear are the things I already know.
Air down to help grip and traction.
Be aware of High Tide and set up out side of the high tide line.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Here's a bunch of info and images for you on PINS.

I drove on the beach at PINS with my heavy-assed van and trailer without problem.

It was parking that got me, up high near the brush and dunes. It can be a bit softer up there, with old hidden firepits that have been covered over. The sand is then a lot looser over the old pits.

In moving forward after setting the trailer one night, my right rear was over one of those pits and dug in so deep and fast my differential was in the sand; back bumper resting at grade. Rocking it back and forth a bit to try and climb out I heard a sudden, loud crack and snap. Holy shit, I thought, I snapped a spindle or something.

I got out both my Maxtrax and Traction Jacks, dug a big escape ramp for that side, beveled it out towards the other side, and managed to extract myself, by myself, in the dark with no winch or tow. I was pretty tickled and was super pleased I'd come prepared. My long handled shovel proved to be a life saver. Turns out I'd parked the right rear right over an old firepit, and the loud crack was me breaking a partially burned piece of firewood. Big relief.

If the beach is busy, you can't always camp outside the highest tide line along the whole beach. It's pretty narrow in spots. You'll get surge tides, too, bigger around full moon, and bigger with Gulf storms. There are places you can look up the tide charts, which are really helpful.

"Spring" tides are generally the ones you want to watch for most. They happen just after both new and full moons. The difference between high and low tides then is the greatest.

I had the tide come up within about 5-6 feet of my van. Some days the Rangers will come through and alert folks they need to move because of unusually high tides coming.

padre180100-1075panocrop-2056-2056-flip.jpg
Nothing quite like camping on the beach right next to such an expanse of salt water.

pins-extraction_1391-900.jpeg
Dug myself in pretty deep, pretty easily.

pins-extraction_1432-900.jpeg
The next morning I realized how much of a mountain of sand I'd moved.
That long-handled shovel proved invaluable in reaching way under the van to move sand. You can see I had to dig sort of a shelf to the right of the traction boards that was 10-12" lower than the surface, to be able to work it all right.

padresns_1779-1000.JPG
There is an ever-present and steady wind that comes in off the Gulf. It's billowing up my awning in the image above.

There can also be extreme humidity; so much so that my awning would drip from the condensation (not rain). A lot of the folks I met over the week I camped on the beach said they never stay longer, because the constant salt spray can be so disastrous on gear. It rusted the chain on my bike in that short of time.

padrens_1592-1000.jpg
Packed up the awning because of high winds. This shot gives you an idea of the travel lane, how hard-packed it is, and shows how narrow the strip you can camp on is in most areas.

pins-windspeed22-900.jpg
My Kestrel recording 22mph wind. Didn't blow that hard every day, but it sure can get pretty gusty; sandblasting my glasses, etc. Was 100% humidity.

pins-hardpack-dunes-900.jpg
Another shot showing travel lane and camping strip.

padre-roadhouse_1915-900.jpg
One of my collapsible traffic cones out to mark my guy line for the SlumberJack Roadhouse tarp. I parked my van on that side to block the wind from my kitchen area.

padrens_1145-1000.jpg

Hope you have a blast down there!

Anazlu

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Texas 77845, United States
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Horton
Member #

@Road Thank you very much for the information and the photos. I am going to be using a ground tent, so hopefully i wont need to drive my Rav4 off the drive path to far, to be out of the way. and I wont get stuck *knock on wood*. I will definitely have some recovery boards though.

Reactions: Sparksalot and Road