Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
This order is for developed sites. The order is included as a PDF doc.
OLB will continue to monitor to see if this order is expanded to dispersed areas and roadways within the PNW region.
The key point with this order is that it goes through September 30, unlike others in the other forest regions that are shut down till April 30.

• To provide for the protection of public health and safety and prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Region is implementing a public safety closure for all developed recreation sites within the administrative boundaries of the following National Forests: Rogue River-Siskiyou, Fremont-Winema, Umpqua, Willamette, Olympic, Mt Baker-Snoqualmie, Okanogao- Wenatchee, Colville, Deschutes, Ochoco & Crooked River Grassland, Umatilla, Siuslaw, Wallowa-Whitman and the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area . Forest Order No. 06-00-00-20-01 prohibits public use of developed recreation sites on the specific forests.

Last edited:

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Thanks for looking into this & providing the info, Kent. Wow... I’m bummed.

Reactions: M Rose

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks for looking into this & providing the info, Kent. Wow... I’m bummed.
This has all the makings of being worse due to fire hazards, been lots of talk about fire crews not being as available. We could see total shut downs.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

This really sucks, I hope they don't shut down the dispersed camping and FS roads. We are planning on doing the WABCDR this June and I don't mind staying away from campgrounds, we want to disperse camp anyway.

Reactions: Ubiety

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

This really sucks, I hope they don't shut down the dispersed camping and FS roads. We are planning on doing the WABCDR this June and I don't mind staying away from campgrounds, we want to disperse camp anyway.
There has been a ban on disbursed camping here in OR, but I can’t remember where, and I think it might have already been lifted. But that’s just me thinking... dangerous. Bottom line is, we need to check with land managers before going and adhere.

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Just an FYI... @Kent R original post, lists every NAtional Forest in Oregon and looks like most of the Northwest...

@oldmopars we will look into the WABDR and see if this can still be a go... but I highly doubt it.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Just an FYI... @Kent R original post, lists every NAtional Forest in Oregon and looks like most of the Northwest...

@oldmopars we will look into the WABDR and see if this can still be a go... but I highly doubt it.
We had a saying in the Air Force, I was a aircraft mechanic, and it was to "lean forward in the seats". Meaning that no matter what was happening to the plane, we were anticipating take-off.
I feel the same way about the BDR, I am pressing on, full steam ahead until that day of departure still planning to go until I am given official word that it has to be canceled by order of the Forest Service/BLM.
I am going stir crazy working from home. I look out my windows at the mountains in my back yard and dream of hitting the trails. If they close the trails you may see a grown man cry. I have been spending every spare dime on getting my truck set up to go and squirling away some money to pay for the trip.
I WILL NOT GIVE UP! I will however obey the orders if they come.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

This is the most important area of the order for me. It is saying all developed campgrounds and recreation ares are off limits, but any dispersed areas are still OK. As such and to keep within the social distancing rules, we may need to break up into smaller groups and limit total number of people in each camp site to under 10.
Also, currently the only forest area listed that the BDR goes through is the Okanogan-Wenatchee, and the city of Plain sits in the middle of that. So, not looking good for NWOR.
1585858757439.png

Last edited:
  • Sad

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
This is the most important area of the order for me. It is saying all developed campgrounds and recreation ares are off limits, but any dispersed areas are still OK. As such and to keep within the social distancing rules, we may need to break up into smaller groups and limit total number of people in each camp site to under 10.
Also, currently the only forest area listed that the BDR goes through is the Okanogan-Wenatchee, and the city of Plain sits in the middle of that. So, not looking good for NWOR.
View attachment 147282
You are 100% correct but please keep an eye on the forests you will go through as your trip gets closer to make sure they havent gone one step further with a closure. You will have no problems as long as you disperse camp. I will also keep watching for you.

I cant see how NWOR can happen but I bet they are waiting to be told that it cant go on so they get refunds on the event permit.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I really hope we can do the WABDR... it is a trip @KRose and I have been looking forward to doing. I too am watching NFS closures closely and staying in contact with my local FS Rangers as to be ready when the snow lifts and I am able to adventure again.

Reactions: Ubiety

PlaidShirtFamily

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Bend, Oregon
First Name
William
Last Name
Robison
Member #

Along these same lines, if traveling central Oregon, pay attention to fire bans that are county wide. Typically these are seen in the dry summer months, but Deschutes County Oregon currently has a total fire ban so the department can better serve COVID needs and limit the need for hospital services. As I understand from a quick search, Crook Co and Jefferson Co are still ok. This applies to dispersed camping and its still chilly here. Deschutes is home to Bend, Sisters, Redmond, etc.
Be Safe, Healthy and have Fun.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
We had a saying in the Air Force, I was a aircraft mechanic, and it was to "lean forward in the seats". Meaning that no matter what was happening to the plane, we were anticipating take-off.
I feel the same way about the BDR, I am pressing on, full steam ahead until that day of departure still planning to go until I am given official word that it has to be canceled by order of the Forest Service/BLM.
I am going stir crazy working from home. I look out my windows at the mountains in my back yard and dream of hitting the trails. If they close the trails you may see a grown man cry. I have been spending every spare dime on getting my truck set up to go and squirling away some money to pay for the trip.
I WILL NOT GIVE UP! I will however obey the orders if they come.
Leaning forward in the seats with you buddy. I am hoping the WABDR happens, but waiting to see. At least we can yammer and plan it now.

A work colleague took a hike last weekend and was approached by a ranger or sheriff who told them they should not be there but would not tell them to leave... The LEO’s concern with people being on the trail centered around a SAR what if.

@Heidi tells me that locally our urban parks have been closed down in anticipation of nicer weather, has been nice here in Seattle area. This is messing with our normal exit from hibernation.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I really hope we can do the WABDR... it is a trip @KRose and I have been looking forward to doing. I too am watching NFS closures closely and staying in contact with my local FS Rangers as to be ready when the snow lifts and I am able to adventure again.
Glad you are on the roster! I hope this trip happens, would be good to meet you all and shake hands - then purell our entire bodies, wash our hands to the bone and run off to the disinfection tent. :)

Reactions: M Rose