Dave Alvord

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hagerstown, MD, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Alvord
I've scoured at least the first 8 pages of multiple sub forums and haven't found anything quite what I'm looking for.....many claim to have trails around Michaux St Park, which is a stones throw from me, but I know nothing about.....I also visit Ohiopyle regularly as well. Does anyone have any solid links or info that we could work on together or share for any trail systems...

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Purple Lizard maps are great and they do have one for Michaux. One thing to keep in mind with Pennsyltucky is that every fall they open up gates from September/October to mid January. Here’s a link to those roads and their respective open gate dates.

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Recreation/WhatToDo/Hunting/RoadsOpenForDeerSeason/Pages/default.aspx

There’s been plenty of discussion about trails in Pa but probably the easiest one to find is our section of the MABDR.

Shelby/Dakota

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Purple Lizard maps are great and they do have one for Michaux. One thing to keep in mind with Pennsyltucky is that every fall they open up gates from September/October to mid January. Here’s a link to those roads and their respective open gate dates.

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Recreation/WhatToDo/Hunting/RoadsOpenForDeerSeason/Pages/default.aspx

There’s been plenty of discussion about trails in Pa but probably the easiest one to find is our section of the MABDR.
MABDR?

Reactions: Schake

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I also JUST received a couple late Xmas presents..haha.. I now have maps from www.scmaps.com.. They are actually titled as "all outdoors Atlas & field guide".. I figure I can cross reference these with Purple Lizard maps.. I have 4 now, eastern and western PA and NY state maps..Camping areas in county,state and national parks, covered bridges and waterfall locations are just some of the info available, with which could be interesting 1-2 day backroad tours..

Razorrc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Everson, PA, USA
First Name
MICHAEL
Last Name
SULKOWSKI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTB684
I've scoured at least the first 8 pages of multiple sub forums and haven't found anything quite what I'm looking for.....many claim to have trails around Michaux St Park, which is a stones throw from me, but I know nothing about.....I also visit Ohiopyle regularly as well. Does anyone have any solid links or info that we could work on together or share for any trail systems...
Ohiopyle does have trails but most have been closed and blocked off anymore. It's been about 8 years since I've been on any of them. But I've asked some of the jeep club and they say most are closed.

vwauditech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCarley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFX362
I've driven almost all of Michaux State Forest. I was actually just there last weekend and drove 42mi South to North. I've been 45mi driving South from the Northern end too. It's really fun in the snow. We'll be in Bald Eagle State Forest this weekend. IMG_20190310_213251_810.jpeg

vwauditech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCarley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFX362
I've driven almost all of Michaux State Forest. I was actually just there last weekend and drove 42mi South to North. I've been 45mi driving South from the Northern end too. It's really fun in the snow. We'll be in Bald Eagle State Forest this weekend. View attachment 92731
I have a dirty GPX file if you want it. Forgot to pause/unpause a couple times. Still haven't figured out editing to clean them up. This was last weekend ~42miles. If you want to get together in a weekend and ride or camp at MSF let me know. We have several of us that go there and still miles of trail I haven't been on yet.
Your starting point in the South end is
39.740872,-77.487848Screenshot_20190408-223030.jpeg

Razorrc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Everson, PA, USA
First Name
MICHAEL
Last Name
SULKOWSKI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTB684
I have a dirty GPX file if you want it. Forgot to pause/unpause a couple times. Still haven't figured out editing to clean them up. This was last weekend ~42miles. If you want to get together in a weekend and ride or camp at MSF let me know. We have several of us that go there and still miles of trail I haven't been on yet.
39.740872,-77.487848View attachment 92735
Could you send me your .gpx file? I wouldn't mind making a trip out there

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

39.740872,-77.487848View attachment 92735
Is that the MABDR route?

vwauditech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCarley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFX362
What are your trail and MABDR like? Easy? Moderate? Hard?
Looking for moderate trails to take family on. Any suggestions?
Everything in Michaux is pretty simple dirt roads. There are a few spots on the Northern end that are a little rougher. It's a nice scenic drive, but it's a blast in the snow.

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

Everything in Michaux is pretty simple dirt roads. There are a few spots on the Northern end that are a little rougher. It's a nice scenic drive, but it's a blast in the snow.
Any trails in that general area of PA that present more interesting/ challenging experience?