P vs. LT Tires

• HTML tutorial

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

If you are new to over-landing/off-roading and you may want to begin building your perfect rig. The first place I like to start is with tires, and this can lead to some confusion. Tires come in two basic classes, P-passenger tires and LT-light truck tires. Contrary to the names given the tires the vast majority of new trucks and SUV vehicles in the US are sold with P rate tires. I am hoping to write this article to help explain to you how to pick a better set of tires for you rig.

Going back to when we used Bias Ply tires the weight rating system for tire capacity is bases on a letter/number scale: A, B, C, D, E etc. Each letter is 2 ply, so a B tire is a 4 ply, C is 6 ply, E is 10 ply. As a tire goes up in ply rating it can hold more air pressure and carry more weight. P rated tires are considered B rated tires. LT tires begin at C and run up beyond E. Radial tires do not actually add more layers or ply as they did years ago, but construction of the tires can be critical. LT tires are usually made with a more robust sidewall and tread to handle the extra air and weight. This robust construction can be critical in a hauling / off-road rig.

If you look at a standard P class tire and compare it to a LT C rated tire you may notice that the weight carrying ability is close or the same. Tire Manufactures apply a 10% rule with P rate tires on a truck, van, or SUV, which means the P rated tire has to be reduced by 10% in weight carrying ability. So the actual numbers can be deceiving. The reason for this is that trucks tend to carry the majority of their weight in cargo over the rear axle, have a higher center of gravity, and tend to get overloaded more. Passenger cars tend to distribute their weight more evenly over the front and back. Be sure to take this into account if you are looking at tires.

What are the advantages of replacing your tires with a Light Truck grade tire for over-land travel? You will be taking a lot of gear and supplies with you, the weight of all this material will be easier on a LT tire on a long distance travel. It’s better to have an LT tire carrying 80% of its max capacity than a P tire working at 100%. The harder a tire has to work the hotter it will get, this can cause a tire to literally come apart. Another good reason for an LT tire is because of its more robust construction it will be better able to withstand punctures and tears while off-road, and will better handle being aired down for extended off-road trips.

To give an example of this off-road ability I was running a Cooper AT C rated Lt tire, my hunting partner was running a Mastercraft (Cooper made) AT P rated tire. Over a 3 month hunting and trapping season we ran the same logging, fire, and back roads. He had to plug his tires 3 times that season, while I experienced not one issue. He now runs LT tires.

But, there are drawbacks to changing to an LT tire. Robust means more weight. More weight means your engine and transmission will work harder to move the tire, brakes will work harder to stop, and your steering will work harder to move them back and forth. Things will wear out faster. Expect a drop, though slight, in fuel mileage. And, that robust tire will be rougher in ride on the road and off. It will not flex and cushion as much which can stress suspensions and passengers a bit more.

I recommend that if you are trying to choose get on a sites like this and talk to folk who have the same rig, or tire you want to run. Get their advice and opinions. Research your tire brand and look at customer reviews. Also, you will need to deal with a tire shop that will try to tell you that you don’t need a- this grade or that rating. Find a tire shop that deals more in 4x4 off-road vehicles. Do your research and choose wisely for yourself. Good luck, see you on the trail.

Helmut Kobler

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Very helpful, thanks. I have a 4Runner with a fair amount of weight added (RTT, rear bumper, stove and fridge, sliders, etc.) and am definitely planning to go with an LT tire, but am hoping to keep it at Load C, rather than D or E.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

Very helpful, thanks. I have a 4Runner with a fair amount of weight added (RTT, rear bumper, stove and fridge, sliders, etc.) and am definitely planning to go with an LT tire, but am hoping to keep it at Load C, rather than D or E.
C range are a bit rare in 16 inch size, but they are out there. I run c rated on mine and find them good so far.

Darthbaggins

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Acworth, GA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Cromartie
Member #

There are plenty of C range 16" LT's out there, So far I'm happy w/ the E range that I switched to 5 years ago (from C) as there are no worries when I deflate to 20-12psi on the beach/conservation lands here on island with the family and all our stuff loaded for the long day.

Reactions: Big E

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Good info. :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

I would also like to add.... a higher rated tire will have a higher MAXIMUM cold tire pressure... some upwards of 65. This does NOT mean you should run your tires at 65. Keep in mind you have a tire rated for a heavier vehicle.

I see sooo many people having traction problems and comfort issues because they have too many psi in their tires.

Run the psi where the road quality and comfort quality dictates.

I have E rated tires and am currently sitting at 36 psi... when towing I increase the rear accordingly. With the quality of our roads here, if I have it closer to 40 psi (or more) I have less control and less comfort.... even with my high-end shocks.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

Good info. :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

I would also like to add.... a higher rated tire will have a higher MAXIMUM cold tire pressure... some upwards of 65. This does NOT mean you should run your tires at 65. Keep in mind you have a tire rated for a heavier vehicle.

I see sooo many people having traction problems and comfort issues because they have too many psi in their tires.

Run the psi where the road quality and comfort quality dictates.

I have E rated tires and am currently sitting at 36 psi... when towing I increase the rear accordingly. With the quality of our roads here, if I have it closer to 40 psi (or more) I have less control and less comfort.... even with my high-end shocks.
I also found with my 10 ply I knew when the pressure was low because the truck had to push them on the road and the mileage went down a noticeable bit. I get that less with the c rated 6 ply.

Last edited:

Miguel Hernandez

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

SANTA CLARA
Member #

Great information. also folks there are some P-metric tires that are XL extra load that will withstand more weight carrying capacity compared to an LT tire in certain sizes. Feel fre to ask any question I got 14 years in the tire industry.

Reactions: Ian McCarthy

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

I had P rated Toyo Open Country ATiis on mine 265/75R16

Upgraded to Dynapro MT LT285/75R16... and BEFORE making the % conversion, I am getting better MPGs.... Oddly enough...

They're only C-rated tires, but STILL..... had no problems with cuts or tears on the granite/shale trails @ the Rubicon last Sunday. These tires have some ribbed protection on their shoulders......(Not doing anything too crazy yet - no sliders on the rig)