Endurance II

CHARLOTTE
First Name
Barry
Last Name
OReilly
Member #

Questions for the group:
  • Do you haul kayaks, SUPs (Stand Up Paddle Boards), or canoes when Overlanding?

• What is your setup?

• What are the pros and cons of hauling gear on weekend or longer trips?

We have camped for years and are avid kayakers. However, we are new to vehicle-based Overlanding and looking at combining our passions in all outdoor adventure.

Looking forward to your feedback.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I haul my kayaks and surfboards everywhere I go. My kayak is a 15.5 ft sit on top, sometimes I bring 2 kayaks. surfboards are up 10.0 depending on what we expect. My old system was 3 Yakima cross members mounted to my snug top using gutter rack added on to the shell. I was not comfortable hauling 2 kayaks and surfboards as it failed more than once. 60 miles of washboard is like a monkey and a wrench, never know what will come lose.

4 years ago I swapped trucks and had a custom overhead rack built around the shell. Think of it as a 12ft lumber rack with light tabs and steps to climb on top. I I were going to do it again I would add a rails to support a folding table under the cross members. I works great! 5 crossmembers to secure anything on it will support hundreds of pounds. I don’t
think twice about 2yaks and half a dozen surf boards. 400 lbs? I lift the kayaks up onto the tailgate than up to the rack. A pull gets them past the tipping point and forward to where they get secured. I prefer cam straps over the ratchet straps.

Truck is a Ram 2500 with a 8 ft bed. I am more interested in playing when I get there with the right toys, than wheeling for the sake of wheeling. The primary playground is Baja, then the Serra lakes. I am thinking about doing the Pan American for a few years, all the toys will go. What’s the point if your not going play. The pop top will be purchased based on getting the kayaks and boards on top.

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Questions for the group:
  • Do you haul kayaks, SUPs (Stand Up Paddle Boards), or canoes when Overlanding?

• What is your setup?

• What are the pros and cons of hauling gear on weekend or longer trips?

We have camped for years and are avid kayakers. However, we are new to vehicle-based Overlanding and looking at combining our passions in all outdoor adventure.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Hey there -

My 14' Hornbeck Canoe goes with me on every adventure, whether weekend or longer. I tend to stay out for several months at a time, so like having it with me for whatever opportunities may arise to get out on the water.

I keep it on the trailer's tonneau cover, under the rack, though can put it on my van's roof racks, too. It's only 28lbs and can be lifted and carried in one hand, and portaged quite easily. I absolutely adore this boat.

Here's how I haul mine:

leveledup-loaded_2270-900wm.jpg
It's usually strapped at the front, too. This was a short move around the same lake.

canoeloaded-900.jpeg
I often pack other stuff around it, in it, or under it, too, strapped down with Stratchits, usually.

My canoe is so light it is never a hindrance to just remove when camping so I have access to the trailer's cargo area. Though I have just suspended it, like so:
pins-190115_1778-1000.jpg
...it's not really the best way, as it does not allow for a lot of clearance getting in and out of the almost 8' long cargo area.

I most always end up with it like this, in camp:

gph-1901_6290-1000.jpg

.. where it is still out of the way, easy to lock to my trailer wheel with a Bolt Cable Lock (great locks, keyed same as my ignition; have one for my bike and hitch receiver, too; same key for all), and helps keep wind from blowing under the trailer to the awning side where I cook and relax. That can be a big deal in some environments.

All in all, having my canoe with me full-time when adventuring has proven to be easy and even helpful.

I started a thread three years ago searching for just the right watercraft for solo adventuring that you may find helpful: Kayaks - Inflatable, Rigid, Folding...whaddya have and how do you like it? Some of the replies talk about weights, stowing, adventure use, etc.

On a tip from @Rocksylvania in another thread (Wisdom From the River, started by @Plisken about things we can use in land adventures usually used by river-rafters and boaters), I ended up with the perfect watercraft for my style of wandering.

I've been out more on the water since I've had it than I have in all the rest of my years combined.

I think a lot of it--when considering whether to take watercraft along or not--comes down to weight and ease of stowing when not using, and how much it will be in the way, or not, of getting to other gear.

I'm thrilled with the solution I found for the way I do things, and hope you find as great a solution for yourselves.

Widgeonmangh

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Most of my destinations have fishing involved. :) So I always have one or two kayaks onboard. My kayaks are Wavewalks so I designed my roof rack sytem so I can haul two kayaks and am not bothered by the awnings. Usually I am just taking one kayak when I am camping. But duck hunting I haul two.

56644953_326236014707021_4549575285179154432_n.jpg56915101_326236101373679_2074451122155683840_n.jpg57038281_326235964707026_7453351563893932032_n-2.jpg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Somewhere I have pictures of two kayaks in J hooks on top of my old Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ, with a dusting of snow on them. That was the signal it was time to take them off, but I had driven around half the year with them up there so we could take advantage of any paddling opportunity that arose

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
The primary playground is Baja, then the Serra lakes.
The sierra lakes? As in Mammoth Lakes area? I fish there annually (in fact I'm heading there the end of next week) and lately have been wanting a kayak to fish from. Which kayak do you use, and which lakes do you like the most for kayak fishing?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

The sierra lakes? As in Mammoth Lakes area? I fish there annually (in fact I'm heading there the end of next week) and lately have been wanting a kayak to fish from. Which kayak do you use, and which lakes do you like the most for kayak fishing?
I have a wilderness systems 15 1/2' sit on top Tiburon. I go east and west sides. I do have a Lowrance fish finder too. It is a bit big for many of the lakes. It's for Ocean fishing more the lake fishing. I stay away from the June lakes because of the crowds. getting on and off Crowley can be kinda a pain, but often worth it.

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Up in BC we have hundreds of Rec Sites, usually on small lakes, and usually stocked with trout. So yes, we usually have our canoe with us when travelling in ”our own backyard”.
Our trailer has sturdy roof racks and I have kept other attachments below the racks so I can easily slide the canoe up there. I just ratchet strap it down and also have a locked cable for redundant attachment and security.
It's out of the way, streamlined while traveling and gives us many hours of enjoyment while in camp. .... and even the occasional dinner :-)
Bonus.... it keeps my wife happy, which is always recommended

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
2 Kayaks. Sits ontop of my 55g totes. Clears the tailgate fine.

if I get a slide in camper, I'll switch to a foldable kayak. $$$

Apoclapedia

Rank IV

Advocate I

Moha, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I have a canoe, river kayak and ocean kayak. But ive never brought them along on an overland trip. But ive been thinking about bringing the canoe or ocean kayak. I live in BC and we have a ton of lakes along the back roads and trails. I just didnt want to beat up the canoe bushwhacking and if i take the kayak theres no room for the dog in it. The plastic kayak could easily handle the punishment of the trail tho. Im still on the fence...

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a canoe, river kayak and ocean kayak. But ive never brought them along on an overland trip. But ive been thinking about bringing the canoe or ocean kayak. I live in BC and we have a ton of lakes along the back roads and trails. I just didnt want to beat up the canoe bushwhacking and if i take the kayak theres no room for the dog in it. The plastic kayak could easily handle the punishment of the trail tho. Im still on the fence...
Tupperware is your friend! The plastic navy is a great time.