Overlanding / Off-Roading when required as part of your job.

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Paladin2020

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Crawfordville, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Over the next few months I will be posting comments, observations and my experiences on things I have to do or things I come across as part of my job as a Fire Lookout with the USFS in Salmon-Challis National Forest. Case in point. Our team went north to the Stein Lookout at the north part of the Forest (8555ft). A supervisor from another district accompanied us in their POV (pickup) and departed about an hour before our team. On our way back to Challis we came upon them ( I will not say him or her that’s not the point) alone they had a flat the vehicle war equipped with street tires and the front righ got cut on my he sidewalk. We got the tire changed and them on their way. 1.Situation: they were on an incline with the front downhill. 2. Using rock on rocky surface as chalk blocks. And using a bottle jack. All what I considered a bad situation. Also the Forest Service Vehicle we were in did not have proper recovery gear. (( I only I had driven my overland rig?)). I convinced them to move the vehicle down hill about 75th to a more level location and I found two split blocks of tree parts from a cutting operation as chalks. Safer then rock on rock. We still had to use the bottle jack but we were safer. My supervisor realized the error of not having recovery gear in the FS vehicle and will correct it. I did my best to share my knowledge without criticizing anyone and everyone was happy to get off the hill safely. I apologize for not taking photos. I welcome any comments or questions have a safe day and safe travels’s.

JoelIII

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

Look forward to seeing pictures of your adventures. Glad you helped the folks out and had them re position the vehicle, as you know it doesn't take much to make a small problem a big one!

Reactions: Paladin2020

Cuffs

Rank I

Member I

La Verkin, UT, USA
First Name
Wendi
Last Name
Merritt
Member #

Thanks for your work! (both in the tower and on the road!) I used to man the Miami Mtn lookout in the Sierra NF for a couple summers (volunteer, but I usually did 3-4 day stretches. It is an amazing job and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!)

Paladin2020

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Crawfordville, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
Member #

I've been trying to add this video for awhile. slow service. it took half an hour. This is a 60 second section of the road I use coming down. I have a few.

9Mike2

Rank VI

Advocate I

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Yes, I worked for So Cal Edison , and chased crews from the border with AZ. to the ocean and even Catalina Island, From San Onofre to San Joaquin Valley. And even in what seemed like peoples back yards in Brea. I drove a one ton service body 4x4 ,with everything I could come up with that I would need to take care of the vehicles and equipment. I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I have a lot of Polaroids of everything of poles sets in the middle of nowhere to accidents of major happenings ...
download.jpg

Paladin2020

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Crawfordville, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Yes, I worked for So Cal Edison , and chased crews from the border with AZ. to the ocean and even Catalina Island, From San Onofre to San Joaquin Valley. And even in what seemed like peoples back yards in Brea. I drove a one ton service body 4x4 ,with everything I could come up with that I would need to take care of the vehicles and equipment. I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I have a lot of Polaroids of everything of poles sets in the middle of nowhere to accidents of major happenings ...
View attachment 112920
Is the trucks tire on fire?

9Mike2

Rank VI

Advocate I

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Yes, the steel in the belts burn right through to the ground, that is known as a Third party contact to Phase to ground. We have even had one of our 100' Insulator Washers contact 18 KV line and it did the same thing and welded the boom in place as the operator didn't have the Insulated boom ext. out first...oh yeah, the outriggers were welded in the down position too just like the Fire truck was too.

Paladin2020

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Crawfordville, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Yes, the steel in the belts burn right through to the ground, that is known as a Third party contact to Phase to ground. We have even had one of our 100' Insulator Washers contact 18 KV line and it did the same thing and welded the boom in place as the operator didn't have the Insulated boom ext. out first...oh yeah, the outriggers were welded in the down position too just like the Fire truck was too.
Damn that's crazy.

Paladin2020

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Crawfordville, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Here are some more photos of my route to the top also some critters.

Attachments

Reactions: MazeVX and 9Mike2

TOMB

US West Region Member Rep
Supporter

Advocate I

Clovis Ca
Member #

I am pretty blessed with my job. I’m a Network Power Engineer. I cover Death Valley NP, Yosemite NP, Sequoia NF, Mojave Desert , and most of the Southern California mountain ranges. I was on old 66 near Amboy Ca, two days later I was in Puerto Rico for Hurricane Maria. Last week on Tuesday I was at the Buck Rock Lookout and on Thursday I was at a microwave site near Shoshone Ca. Next week I’ll be near May Lake on the Tioga Pass.IMG_2850.JPGIMG_0654.JPGIMG_0754.JPGIMG_0547.JPG

Cuffs

Rank I

Member I

La Verkin, UT, USA
First Name
Wendi
Last Name
Merritt
Member #

I am pretty blessed with my job. I’m a Network Power Engineer. I cover Death Valley NP, Yosemite NP, Sequoia NF, Mojave Desert , and most of the Southern California mountain ranges. I was on old 66 near Amboy Ca, two days later I was in Puerto Rico for Hurricane Maria. Last week on Tuesday I was at the Buck Rock Lookout and on Thursday I was at a microwave site near Shoshone Ca. Next week I’ll be near May Lake on the Tioga Pass.View attachment 114236View attachment 114237View attachment 114238View attachment 114239
Mostly, Im jealous of your trip to Buck Rock! I used to (volunteer) staff Miami Mtn near Oakhurst.

Yosemite, was that on Sentinel Dome? Did you ever get an opportunity to work on Turtle Back Dome? I know theres towers up there, dont know what kind... Thats one of my fave views of the valley, up and away from allllll the tourists!

Reactions: TOMB

TOMB

Supporter

Advocate I

Clovis Ca
Member #

Mostly, Im jealous of your trip to Buck Rock! I used to (volunteer) staff Miami Mtn near Oakhurst.

Yosemite, was that on Sentinel Dome? Did you ever get an opportunity to work on Turtle Back Dome? I know theres towers up there, dont know what kind... Thats one of my fave views of the valley, up and away from allllll the tourists!
Yup, been on Turtle Back many times. There. is a live cam there and a few years back someone put a toy dinosaur in front of it. Pretty funny, it looked so real if you viewed it online.

Reactions: Cuffs and 9Mike2

TOMB

Supporter

Advocate I

Clovis Ca
Member #

Yup, been on Turtle Back many times. There. is a live cam there and a few years back someone put a toy dinosaur in front of it. Pretty funny, it looked so real if you viewed it online.
Yes, that was from Sentinel.