Overlanding in the uk?

• HTML tutorial

Nelspeth

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Hey folks, question for you lot.. what Overlanding trips have people done in the uk?
How long have you spent totally off grid, away from civilisation, just you and your truck?

I’m asking because I want to plan something for next year for a few days. As our tiny island doesn’t have the expanse and wilderness like in the US or OZ I’m struggling to find a route that I can easily wild camp each night and take in as many sights as possible. I want to stay away from big cities and towns and be totally self sufficient

Paul...

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
There are very few legal Tracks were you can truly stay off road for more than a couple of days but there are some , There are on / off tracks. join glass , But there are hundreds of. What i like to call. Truck camping routes. Coastal roads and tracks , get a uk map on a rainy night And study it you might just be suprised were you can go , i hate following. I like to find my own way. REBEL :fearscream: Robin hood bay to. Sunderland point.:wink:

Reactions: Nelspeth

Nelspeth

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

There are very few legal Tracks were you can truly stay off road for more than a couple of days but there are some , There are on / off tracks. join glass , But there are hundreds of. What i like to call. Truck camping routes. Coastal roads and tracks , get a uk map on a rainy night And study it you might just be suprised were you can go , i hate following. I like to find my own way. REBEL :fearscream: Robin hood bay to. Sunderland point.
Yeah I get what you mean exactly and that’s just what iv found.. you’ll not get a fully off grid experience for more than a day or so!
But then again after reading a few posts in a different thread the aspect of ‘wild camping’ can be altered a little by using CL campsites, more like the back of a farmers field but fully legal and normally for about £5 a night. This could then possibly open up a lot more areas and places to go just because you’re not ‘really’ wild camping :)

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Wild Camping in the UK is quite difficult to do and remain legal.
Virtually all land is owned by someone, be that privately or otherwise. Most land within a National Park is often privately owned.
Some NPs, Snowdonia and the Lake District, for example, allow wild camping, as does Dartmoor but it really is aimed at small back packing type camping. Rocking up in a 4x4, setting up base camp with a series of awnings and a fire will be frowned upon.
I've seen photos of groups of 3 or 4 4x4s camped out along Strata Florida (for those who don't know it, it's one of the longest Green Lanes in the UK), but they will be:
a: illegally driving off piste since they've parked up someway off the legal right of way and therefore
b: trespassing as they are on private land.
Scotland is probably the best area for wild camping, but again, be sure of your surroundings, again, privately owned estates cover hundreds of acres and make sure you follow the Scottish Wild Camping guidelines.

The best place to get info about what Green Lanes are still legal is GLASS.
Trailwise is only as good as the input from GLASS members (not sure now, but there used to be two versions - one was the original and is run by GLASS (and you need to be a GLASS member to be given log in rights), the other was an off shoot of the original and wasn't checked properly to be sure the tracks listed were still legal).

THE best way to 100% sure is to visit the Council offices for the area you are interested in and view the "Definitive Map". This is held by the Rights of Way officer for the Council and can only be viewed, not borrowed or copies bought. Just take the time to copy info from it into your own notebook, or onto your own maps.

Beware Treadlightly UK - doesn't really help anymore (last news etc... was uploaded in 2015). Although there is some good generalised guidance.
OS maps need to be bought/checked regularly as even BOATS can change status since the map was last updated/printed.

There are some good Council websites, for example, Cumbria's Hierarchy of Trails. and Derbyshire's Mapping Portal.
There's a few other Councils who are or have been getting websites organised and making it easier to get correct, up to date info about what can legally be driven.

Beware Wetroads. While it's a pretty good source of info about where fords and water crossings are, it isn't always up to date with legal ROWs to get to those fords. I remember trying a few a couple of years ago, and it was clear that driving to, or through the ford would require straying from the vehicular ROW.

Sorry if all the above seems to put a downer on UK ROWs, but we all need to do our research properly, or risk getting a Section 59 seizure, which I've seen 3 4x4s destroyed by the Authorities for "off roading" where they shouldn't be - and quite rightly so.

Reactions: Nelspeth

Nelspeth

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Thanks for the great reply Nick, some good and useful information in there.
I do quite a bit of green laning with a local club and I am well against ‘off piste’ driving. There are to many lanes being closed recently due to idiots disrespecting them in there scrap value 4x4’s :(
Lanes iv always wanted to do such as Happy Valley and the Machynlleth horseshoe (Bastard Lane) i May never get the chance as these keep being driven, even after a TRO has been implemented on them for repair work. As for Strata Florida I know exactly where you mean that people wild camp, iv done the lane quite a few times now and although iv never seen anyone with a tent pitched I agree people do go off piste to wild camp along there. I have seen cars parked at the half way spot where the owners are using the bothy for a night which is perfectly legal as far as I know.

I have kind of come to the conclusion though that it would be best to use small campsites that are as close as you’re going to get to wild camping. CL campsites as in the caravan and camping club directory are very basic and are usually just a farmers field so perfect for the wild camping feel, Would also give a much better scope of travel to your journey as you wouldn’t be limited to hidden away spots to set up camp.

Paul...

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Completely agree Paul, some of the CLs and farmers fields we've camped in are as good as wild camping. Always worth talking to the farmer or site owner about camp fires, quite often, if you explain about turf lifting and edging the fire, they'll let you do it, or use a raised Bushpig or similar so as not to burn the grass etc... (which is always the right thing to do, no matter where you're camped, unless a fire pit is already there).

Really winds me up when I see the results of off piste destruction of tracks and land. As you say, it's usually the result of some idiot in a scrap value 4x4 having his 10 mins of fun, which results in the rest of us getting a bad name. Unfortunately, it's one of the reasons I don't go out laning so much these days, it gets spoilt by the bad press and a lot of land owners either trying to stop you using a legal lane sensibly, or giving you a hard time about it or ramblers who don't think you should be there. It almost makes you feel embarrassed to be there.