Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

So I'll be Summering in Finland next year, and I was thinking if it turned long long term I could ship my truck over. My Girl has a friend down in Indonesia and so thus the Challenge of Overlanding (driving) there was started. I was thinking of driving from Helsinki Finland to Surabaya Indonesia. Apparently I can't drive into China or India, or at least that is what Google maps says.
What do you guys know?
I am merely interested in the sheer possibility of driving across Asia.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

It's possible. Lots of people have done it but you'll likely learn more from the Europeans on this board since it's more common for them. I've traveled quite a bit in Asia - be prepared for a lot of headaches with vehicle paperwork, visas/import permits, and dealing with corrupt border guards. You'll also need to research the driving regulations - some Asian countries don't allow international driver's licenses and only allow domestic ones (effectively making it illegal for foreigners to drive in the country).

Fun side note: Check out The Mongol Rally (link: http://www.theadventurists.com/mongol-rally/). Maybe this would be a better way to do it. :grinning:

Reactions: Buzzard13