Overlanding as a Way of Life

• HTML tutorial

WesAdvance

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North America
Member #

Awesome highlight of how overlanding manifests itself differently for different people! Most people we meet on the road tell us "do it while your young and dont have kids", so I love hearing of full-time overlanders who do it with a family. They don't understand how this can be a lifestyle, not just a temporary 'roadtrip'. Thanks for sharing!

4X3Lander

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

California, United States
First Name
Don
Last Name
4X3Lander
Member #

Really enjoyed the article. Thank you for sharing this. I totally agree with what was said. It’s the drive, literally and figuratively, that is the motivation. I’m motivated every day.

mark n carter

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lake Forest CA
First Name
mark
Last Name
guithues
Member #

thank you for your site. I am humbled by the amount of information and have already applied information from two of your articles to prepare the Tacoma for a six month trip to Colorado for my son who will be a ski instructor in very cold conditions.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
06C5F8D1-81E8-4D42-9DA1-26F2FCAB14D6.jpeg We have known Graeme and Luisa online for a few years now however during our Mongolia Trip we met up with them in person in Turkey.
They were visiting our friends Overland Anatolia in Turkey to get some work done in their Landy. They had heard about Overland Anatolia from a friend of ours on our Morocco Trip the previous year who we had sent to Overland Anatolia when they needed help in Turkey and they in turn had passed on the details to Graeme and Luisahen they were headed east.The long distance overland community is very small in comparison to the likes of Overland Bound community but we are all connected by a shared experience.
So it was great to actually meet-up with A2A. We spent the first night camped outside the garage on an industrial estate (this is quite common for long distance overlanders) as we helped out with their repairs. The next night we all camped and bbq’d in the car park at the home of Overland Anatolia and the third night we headed to a remote beach and pitched up for a great A2A braai.
Great people with great children living a life many of us can only dream about, overcoming many obstacles as they go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Overland Anatolia

Tuan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, TX, USA
Member #

I loved the article. Well articulated, relevant and relatable analogies. I was saddened when I reached the end because I wanted more. LoL.

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

I loved the article. Well articulated, relevant and relatable analogies. I was saddened when I reached the end because I wanted more. LoL.
Some of his books are absolutely fascinating. I suggest reading a couple if you ever get a chance.

Reactions: Tuan

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
a very good read. how wonderful would that be to explore the world, experience different cultures, and share that with your family. that's pretty neat.

8yearsglobal

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

?
First Name
Bronson
Last Name
Mills
Member #

Our family has been taking 2 one month trips for over a decade. We always spent one month on a road trip through other states and another visiting a foreign country of two. Even though we were living in an amazing place with endless recreational activities (Tahoe), the highlights of the year have always been on our road trips. Whenever we returned "home", we felt something was always missing.

One day, a friend introduced me to overlanding. After dong some research, I came across the Bell family's stories. I read all of Grahams's books and found a ton of inspiration in their pages. It was literally the Bell family's story that gave us the final push to get rid of everything and hit the road full time. My wife and I always planned to travel the world full time when we retired, but the Bell family was the first to show us that it was possible to do it with the whole family. There are many others doing the same thing, but if it hadn't been for them, I'm not sure how long it would have taken us to muster up the courage to leave it all behind. If you are on the fence about doing something similar, I highly recommend their books.

Reactions: 4X3Lander