Overlanding and Preppers

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Kilo Sierra

Rank IV

Advocate II

Rochester, NH, USA
Member #

The city is a death trap, waiting to be sprung. Get some supplies for your apartment, be prepared to hunker down until you can escape. Our idiotic congressional members only care for themselves, and the fact they haven't protected our grid shows they don't care for America. It's not IF the economy will experience a total Venezuelan collapse, but when.
I would think the key to living in the city is that while it will be good to have supplies in place, it might also be smart in terms of getting in place (whether bugging-in or bugging-out) prior to the mass freak-out. In terms of a grid shutdown, you might have a day or two before the city goes into chaos...although I would assume mass confusion would happen relatively fast. I just assume most people will just wait for the power to turn on...
The scarier aspect will in part be a economy crash...because it may not happen overnight if you will, but a slow drain across the board that will simply start swallowing everything it touches turning like quicksand. I assume most people won't know they are in over their heads until there is no where to go.

Wile_Coyote

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

I would think the key to living in the city is that while it will be good to have supplies in place, it might also be smart in terms of getting in place (whether bugging-in or bugging-out) prior to the mass freak-out. In terms of a grid shutdown, you might have a day or two before the city goes into chaos...although I would assume mass confusion would happen relatively fast. I just assume most people will just wait for the power to turn on...
The scarier aspect will in part be a economy crash...because it may not happen overnight if you will, but a slow drain across the board that will simply start swallowing everything it touches turning like quicksand. I assume most people won't know they are in over their heads until there is no where to go.
Currently we have a system of checks and balances, sort of. The police, and laws, sort of keep criminals in check, who really have no interest in following the law. I think we can all agree that there are career criminals that would rather steal what you have than work for it themselves. Worst case scenario, we have an EMP knock out the lights. This would in turn knock out; gas distribution, food distribution, meas of travel by vehicle, essentially eliminating any resources from being replenished. Over the last century our entire system has gone from having backyard gardens to punishing those who have backyard gardens, and forcing people to rely on the Just-in-time system, where we basically have three days worth of supplies on the shelves. When a disaster, any disaster, strikes people flock to the grocery stores to stock up on water, food and big-screen TVs. All systems will be down, so your credit card will not work, which means if you don't have any cash on hand (most of the U.S. population) you have to just take what you need, because, well you need it to survive. On top of that, it's not like the police are going to be around to stop you (not you specifically, but you get the idea) or the hundreds of others in the same scenario. After a week of no more food, more more calling the police for protection, there will be a power-vacuum. The gangs that were once sort-of kept in check will start rising up and taking over the streets, and will take what they want; anybody's food, water, women, guns, vehicles. Where there are more people with diverse backgrounds and diverse ideas on how society should operate, there will be chaos. Take for example, the hard-core Muslims may rise up and make a claim that Sharia Law is being implemented in their neighborhood, which means for any infidel who has not converted, they have three options; convert, pay a protection tax or be killed. Most likely, they will rape the infidel then kill them. As for the remaining gangs, you can bet they will be going house to house, apartment to apartment looking for supplies. I would not count on the military to attempt to restore order. They will be busy protecting the government idiots who lead this nation into chaos, as they follow orders. I think they will have a hard time firing on U.S. civilians, but that is why the U.N. will be here, to follow the orders that our soldiers will not execute. Don't think they are here yet? Better look around, they are, it's not just some conspiracy theory, they are here.

On our current coarse of politics, we are slowly sliding into oblivion with the ever-increasing national debt, which is debasing our dollar and eroding our buying power, making our money near worthless. Recall what happened in Germany, when their paper money was so worthless they used it as wallpaper and kites. If anybody looked at the value of the dollar over the last century, there has been a steady decline of the value. When FDR forced people to turn in their gold, the common folks were being screwed out of their wealth. Never trust what the gov't says. Never forget what Ronald Reagan stated, "The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help". When Nixon and Congress decoupled our dollar from the Gold Standard, our money became play-money, or fiat currency.

Indeed, I think we are heading towards a time where we will have a steep inflationary cycle, that will leave a great many Americans in distress, unlike what we currently have. Simple economics says that when you have a product that a thousand people are buying, then only a hundred are buying, that product will become extremely expensive. Why so expensive? Well, the product makes need to pay their bills, and staff, and their pensions, and provide their CEO with a platinum-parachute as they exit the company. At some point, when nobody is buying the product, it will fail completely, and it'll be worthless.

Since this is an Overland Bound board, and we are all about using our vehicles to get out to the back-country, we need to be especially aware of the potential disaster that can affect our mode of transportation. The worst case is the EMP, which begs the questions, is your vehicle hardened? Probably not, since most of us drive modern day vehicles with computers. Heck I have a '17 Silverado with too many computers to count. So, what can we do about that. Well, we can have spare parts. For example, if all you have is one vehicle, and don't plan on getting another, I would highly recommend in getting a second computer for your vehicle, and most likely, you'll need a transmission computer too if you have an automatic. These items will need to be programmed at the Stealership before they can be used in the vehicle, essentially marrying the computer to the system. Once you have a backup computer(s), those need to be protected in a Faraday cage. Even an old Microwave can be used as a Faraday cage within your rig. That will protect your computer(s).

However, we all know that an EMP is so unlikely, and that our military will catch that warhead launched from several container ships off the Gulf, Atlantic and Pacific. We have faith that our military will capture all of the incoming threats, just like they are doing at the southern border. sure.... (sarcasm)

If anybody believes that we are invulnerable to attack, just look at what the Democrats have done to the southern border. They want open borders so they can get more votes and retain their power and stranglehold on this country. They don't care about financial responsibility to the American people, because as members of congress, they are on a whole different level, and have more than enough money, power, and protection from the likes of the little people (us). If you, or any other readers are offended by these words, stop and look at the history of the border, and just what is coming across to populate CA, AZ, FL, NY. These are not high-earners, but they are voters, that will expect free healthcare, a place to stay, free education; at the cost of the American Taxpayer.

That is the reality.

We as a nation are sinking into oblivion and obscurity.

Last edited:

Wile_Coyote

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Yup. we can in no way rely on the government to help us, since they are the ones that have created this mess.
When it all comes down they will go to their safe rooms under ground and point the fingers at each other over nice dinners and easy chairs, while we all starve and deal with the aftermath of their mess.
We are repeating history; Romans Empire before the collapse, Germans (gun confiscation and extermination of those that the state finds undesirable)

RoarinRow

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Good topic. I'd like to think my rig is a prep vehicle first, then overlanding when needed. In regards to EMP, for the hell of it I do have an EMP Shield device hooked up to my batteries 'just in case'. With my family of 5, I want to be able to bug out when we need to. My camper shell is outfitted to basically live in if necessary, but hoping that would not be the case, cause 5 people will be cramped lol. Good thing my kids are still young and tiny.

Wile_Coyote

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

yeah, having a Faraday cage is critical to keeping the most important electronics safe. When I was out on excursions on my KTM 500, I always carried a spare computer and Fuel injector in a securely wrapped box, just in case that fateful day came. I wanted to be sure I was able to get home and defend my wife from the guaranteed chaos that would certainly come. When nice people don't have food or water, mob mentality kicks in, and those nice people are not so nice anymore. They will go to extreme measures to take what others have, if even to feed themselves for a day. It's a scorched earth mentality (if I can't have it, nobody will have it). And those are the nice people. The career criminals are already hell bent, and with no police to stop them, they are off the leash.

Lots of people have this mentality of a civil society, and how dare anybody take what they have worked for. The have not seen the ravages of war (Combat Vet), nor experienced the desperation of people doing that they perceive is right. Just look at Venezuela today, and what they came from. People are fleeing that state, if they have the resources to flee it.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Wilbah

Rank 0

Contributor II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
Great topic and so much here I agree with. If I could add a few comments-

1. A great book on societal breakdown is One Second After. It deals with an EMP but the best parts from my perspective was the chronological breakdown that occurred from beginning to end. Truly frightening read for anyone paying attention, but touches on much of what has been said here. One of the things that really caught my attention (that I hadn't considered) was the impact of psych meds running out and the behaviors that then emerge in the (then) untreated. Sobering to say the least. It also deals a lot with gangs, individual robbers etc. and provides lots of food for thought for anyone wishing to see what could occur and develop a plan to deal with it.

2. I think bugging out/bugging in is one of the biggest questions but I also think it is somewhat threat specific. If it's a natural disaster you might have a very different response plan than if it's an EMP or Viral outbreak.

3. For the "bug out" planning (and "bug in" if you have to get home from somewhere else), have you looked at your route selection. If the highways are gridlocked and you have to take back roads do you know all your options. I know many years ago when I had a job in Boston (I live about an hour west) I went through all the various roads that could get me from point A to point B. It was somewhat exhausting but one of the things I tried to do was plot a route that had no bridges (this was post 9/11 and terrorism was front and center- which it certainly still is but other threats have arisen as well). I wanted to have plans that could get me home without requiring going over any bridges. Not easy for sure, but doable with enough map work.

4. I do think some of the posters here hit the nail on the head with "be quiet about it". No one needs to know what is in my cellar or shed. My immediate family doesnt know exactly what I have or dont have. I dont want people to think I am their refuge if a true SHTF scenario occurred.

I could go on but I'll shut up now. Sorry for the long winded reply. :)

FishinCrzy

Rank I

Member I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Just read all your posts. Interesting topic for me. I have been involved in disaster planning for state health and environmental agency for past twenty years and table-topped and field played in many scenarios. Seems to me that the EMP scenario has the most far reaching consequences because it affects larger area and is the hardest to recover from. It doesn't have to come from a nuclear detonation. Could easily come from solar flare directly at earth. It has happen before. We are so dependent on electronic technology it will be devastating on many levels. Back to Stone Age in twenty seconds. Well, maybe not Stone Age but close. Even if it doesn't directly impact the U.S. it would likely send major repercussions through the rest of the world. Even if you had Faraday Cages for all your electronics one would be severely limited with everything else possibly off line, not much electricity for months, fuel/food distribution interrupted, no communications, banking, etc. Pretty bleak picture and no way for government to do much to aid the masses within a reasonable amount of time.

I don't know exactly what my plans would be. Even though I have backups to backups and some stores in different places, plenty of survival gear, I'm thinking some good country boys in rural places that can band together might have a chance. I could probably survive alone fairly comfortably except encounters with rogue bands would be problematic. One has to sleep sometimes. Well, guess I need to check the tires on my old mountain bike and clean the guns. EMP won't affect them. I'm gonna miss my Kindle Reader!

Kilo Sierra

Rank IV

Advocate II

Rochester, NH, USA
Member #

Just read all your posts. Interesting topic for me. I have been involved in disaster planning for state health and environmental agency for past twenty years and table-topped and field played in many scenarios. Seems to me that the EMP scenario has the most far reaching consequences because it affects larger area and is the hardest to recover from. It doesn't have to come from a nuclear detonation. Could easily come from solar flare directly at earth. It has happen before. We are so dependent on electronic technology it will be devastating on many levels. Back to Stone Age in twenty seconds. Well, maybe not Stone Age but close. Even if it doesn't directly impact the U.S. it would likely send major repercussions through the rest of the world. Even if you had Faraday Cages for all your electronics one would be severely limited with everything else possibly off line, not much electricity for months, fuel/food distribution interrupted, no communications, banking, etc. Pretty bleak picture and no way for government to do much to aid the masses within a reasonable amount of time.

I don't know exactly what my plans would be. Even though I have backups to backups and some stores in different places, plenty of survival gear, I'm thinking some good country boys in rural places that can band together might have a chance. I could probably survive alone fairly comfortably except encounters with rogue bands would be problematic. One has to sleep sometimes. Well, guess I need to check the tires on my old mountain bike and clean the guns. EMP won't affect them. I'm gonna miss my Kindle Reader!
If you're going to miss your Kindle that much, Faraday cage it with a solar backup to charge it. I throw electronic copies of everything (including my own personal notes) on my Paperwhite so I have a mobile library so that if it survives I can utilize it without having to carry books around. Put an Otterbox case on it for maximum protection. You could also find a USB storage device that can also plug into your phone to carry important documents if need be for non-EMP events.

In the spirit of Overland Bound vehicle prepping, I'd caution people from building solely a Bug-Out vehicle without first have the equivalent/better in their home. Because if your home preps are modular and moveable, any vehicle is sufficient (think totes in the back of a mini-van or truck). Also keep in mind that if you're jumping in your rig without a place to go to or plan, you're probably going to make things worse for yourself. Bugging-out is situational and/or last-resort. I'd also advise people to think about what happens if you have to ditch it. One of the eye-openers I had was people with trailers. Can you quickly turn around if the road is blocked? Can you do it under fire?

grubworm

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Thibodaux, LA, USA
First Name
mike
Last Name
c
Member #

One of the eye-openers I had was people with trailers. Can you quickly turn around if the road is blocked? Can you do it under fire?
yeah, VERY valid point. i have a tear-drop type camper and even being that small, it was a pain this week taking it into the ozarks on the small dirt roads. even being that small, it was impossible to turn around on a small single lane dirt road with deep ditches or trees right on the sides. if the road was blocked or i had to make a tight maneuver, i would be toast with the small trailer behind me.

not too sure about "bugging out". i moved to south louisiana as a commercial diver the year hurricane andrew hit. there was a mandatory evac in my area and it was crazy with grid lock and took MANY hours just to go a few miles. people were running out of gas along side the road, etc.
that was a natural disaster and after that experience, i decided it is better to just be prepared at home and stay put. if there was a nation wide event, i would DEFINITELY stay put. ever see the video clips of black friday shopping mobs trampling people to get a tv for 20% off?? imagine that x10.

Last edited:

Kilo Sierra

Rank IV

Advocate II

Rochester, NH, USA
Member #

yeah, VERY valid point. i have a tear-drop type camper and even being that small, it was a pain this week taking it into the ozarks on the small dirt roads. even being that small, it was impossible to turn around on a small single lane dirt road with deep ditches or trees right on the sides. if the road was blocked or i had to make a tight maneuver, i would be toast with the small trailer behind me.

not too sure about "bugging out". i moved to south louisiana as a commercial diver the year hurricane andrew hit. there was a mandatory evac in my area and it was crazy with grid lock and took MANY hours just to go a few miles. people were running out of gas along side the road, etc.
that was a natural disaster and after that experience, i decided it is better to just be prepared at home and stay put. if there was a nation wide event, i would DEFINITELY stay put. ever see the video clips of black friday shopping mobs trampling people to get a tv for 20% off?? imagine that x10.
I agree with you, I'd rather Bug-In and take my chances. As I said, Bugging-Out is situational and/or last resort. If I can see what is coming before the masses start to panic and can get out, I may. If I have no other choice, I may. But for the vast majority of situations, for me it is best the simply stay put. I have much more capability if things don't go completely off the rails than taking my chances on the road.

And honestly, if things get to that SHTF Mad Max style Apocalyptic conditions, I'm not prepared enough to realistically handle it. I might live a little bit longer than most people, but at that point it becomes a crap shoot.

Roots66

Rank V

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

I agree with you, I'd rather Bug-In and take my chances. As I said, Bugging-Out is situational and/or last resort. If I can see what is coming before the masses start to panic and can get out, I may. If I have no other choice, I may. But for the vast majority of situations, for me it is best the simply stay put. I have much more capability if things don't go completely off the rails than taking my chances on the road.

And honestly, if things get to that SHTF Mad Max style Apocalyptic conditions, I'm not prepared enough to realistically handle it. I might live a little bit longer than most people, but at that point it becomes a crap shoot.
Same here. We are much more prepared to stay put than leave. If something truly bad happens, it would most likely be near impossible to make it somewhere else. And, that's if you had a somewhere else to go. I know I don't have a second, secure location hidden away in the mountains. Plus, even if you did make it there, who's to say that place is actually any better off than where you left. You might have done nothing but just use up valuable resources.

FishinCrzy

Rank I

Member I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

If you're going to miss your Kindle that much, Faraday cage it with a solar backup to charge it. I throw electronic copies of everything (including my own personal notes) on my Paperwhite so I have a mobile library so that if it survives I can utilize it without having to carry books around. Put an Otterbox case on it for maximum protection. You could also find a USB storage device that can also plug into your phone to carry important documents if need be for non-EMP events.

In the spirit of Overland Bound vehicle prepping, I'd caution people from building solely a Bug-Out vehicle without first have the equivalent/better in their home. Because if your home preps are modular and moveable, any vehicle is sufficient (think totes in the back of a mini-van or truck). Also keep in mind that if you're jumping in your rig without a place to go to or plan, you're probably going to make things worse for yourself. Bugging-out is situational and/or last-resort. I'd also advise people to think about what happens if you have to ditch it. One of the eye-openers I had was people with trailers. Can you quickly turn around if the road is blocked? Can you do it under fire?
I was mostly kidding about the Kindle. Not really a high priority just something to read at night before sleep. I do have some solar capacity and good batteries. Interwebs may not be available anyways. Grid and power may be down and even if vehicle is still working you are limited to the gas you have available. I think I would sit tight for a while then make my move to link up with my reliable backup resources in more remote area depending on the severity of the situation. 50% chance I will already be in the country. Luckily I have good, steady neighbors on each side of me here in my little cul-de-sac in town. A few others may need to be marginalized (kidding...sort of). What I really need is some way to consolidate my hardware so it is a central place ready for transport if necessary. A cargo trailer would be the obvious choice. I have a few things like cooking hardware, sleeping bags, dried foods, etc. in multiple locations but not solar panels, generator, batteries, my binky:astonished:.

I need to research Faraday Cages more. It's too easy not to have some protection from electromagnetic pulse. Does it have to be protected on all sides? Would overhead protection work for vehicles? How does the military do it? Hmmm, things to ponder.

Reactions: Roots66

Wile_Coyote

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

I don't think the military protects the majority of their vehicles from the EMP Potential. Cost is most likely the biggest factor. Think about trying to harden all the electronics in the vehicle against a 30k-50k volt shock per meter. What is most shocking is that this information is old-hat, and yet our congressional idiots do nothing to harden our grid. Those in power will certainly remain in power via the COG (Continuity of Government) plan, and they will have plenty of power and food in their bunkers, trying to bring us all back online. Meanwhile, the rest of society will be left trying to get by with FEMA camps (detention facilities), raiders of the roads, and whatever else is out there for the taking. Talk about a black-Friday gone awry.

grubworm

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Thibodaux, LA, USA
First Name
mike
Last Name
c
Member #

Its fun stuff to think about and it makes good movies (Red Dawn, etc), but highly doubtful that there will be anything worse than a collapsed economy like the Great Depression. The Central Banks control the money and the money controls the people. If any of y'all have done any reading outside of the news on tv, you'll know that people are a HUGE commodity. The US is lent money from the world banks based on our population and projected future population where it is factored that every person will be paying so much every year in interest and taxes. The big banks lend to countries based on that, so to wipe everyone out is equivalent to a rancher wiping out his cattle just for the hell of it. If you look at all the interest you have paid on house loans, vehicle loans, student loans, credit card interest, property tax, etc, you will see that citizens that work are a commodity. People in the US that don't work and get government handouts are used to redistribute wealth. If I make $100K and save half of it, that remaining $50K will be taxed once...if it is taken from me via taxes, etc and given to those who aren't working, they will take that money and buy phones, big rims for cars, etc and now all that money can be taxed again and again with every purchase. Our demise as a country is slow and steady and has been in the works for a long time, nothing overtly noticeable or troubling, just a slow whittling away of our money and freedoms...nothing a bug-out bag or Faraday cage is going to help with.

But as long as there is SPAM in the cabinet and a sunrise to wake up to, there is hope....
just kidding...we're screwed! :grinning:

FishinCrzy

Rank I

Member I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Its fun stuff to think about and it makes good movies (Red Dawn, etc), but highly doubtful that there will be anything worse than a collapsed economy like the Great Depression. The Central Banks control the money and the money controls the people. If any of y'all have done any reading outside of the news on tv, you'll know that people are a HUGE commodity. The US is lent money from the world banks based on our population and projected future population where it is factored that every person will be paying so much every year in interest and taxes. The big banks lend to countries based on that, so to wipe everyone out is equivalent to a rancher wiping out his cattle just for the hell of it. If you look at all the interest you have paid on house loans, vehicle loans, student loans, credit card interest, property tax, etc, you will see that citizens that work are a commodity. People in the US that don't work and get government handouts are used to redistribute wealth. If I make $100K and save half of it, that remaining $50K will be taxed once...if it is taken from me via taxes, etc and given to those who aren't working, they will take that money and buy phones, big rims for cars, etc and now all that money can be taxed again and again with every purchase. Our demise as a country is slow and steady and has been in the works for a long time, nothing overtly noticeable or troubling, just a slow whittling away of our money and freedoms...nothing a bug-out bag or Faraday cage is going to help with.

But as long as there is SPAM in the cabinet and a sunrise to wake up to, there is hope....
just kidding...we're screwed! :grinning:
You're right. It's definitely going to be one of those meteors they don't see until about a week before it wipes us out. oh, well, it was fun...

Reactions: Roots66