Overland trip in May, CA -> NV -> UT -> CO -> NM -> CA. Trail and camping ideas needed!

• HTML tutorial

Henrik Martin

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Greetings folks. I'm planning a little overlanding trip in May, starting and ending in the Bay Area. I have 3-4 weeks depending on a couple of factors. I've already seen quite a bit of CA, so I'm just going to cross the Sierras with maybe one night of camping, then head over through Northern NV and into UT. My main goal is to explore UT/CO and bits and pieces of NM. I want to do dispersed camping as much as possible, and drive scenic backroads rather than freeways. My rig is capable (5th gen 4Runner with skid plates, rock sliders, and soon to be installed suspension upgrade, etc) and I don't mind a few ruts and reasonable obstacles, but it's just me and my girlfriend, so I'm not looking for serious adventures with potential vehicle damage/breakdowns, etc. I will be towing a home made camper trailer (also off-road capable) and will be carrying tools and some spare parts, but it's more of a scenic trip than tackling serious challenges. I am set up with a roof top tent on the trailer, and have gear for serious winter camping. We will also be bringing two mountain bikes, and hope to do some cool but easy trails (girlfriend is an inexperienced MTBer). The only firm stop on the itinerary is visiting Hefty Fabworks in Colorado Springs at some point during the trip. I'm looking for ideas for routes/logistics, backroads, scenic stuff, great places to camp, trail recommendations, etc. I have a few ideas that I've jotted down. Here's what I'm thinking so far, in no particular order:

• Rimrocker trail (Montrose CO to Moab, UT). Preferably in reverse if possible since we'll be traveling from UT to CO.
  • Moab. Someone in another forum recommended Lockhart basin trail. Definitely not looking to do Hell's Revenge or anything like that!
  • Bryce Canyon and Arches.
  • Telluride.
  • Ouray.
  • Gila, Enchanted Rockies, and White Pine in NM.
The emphasis of the trip is seeing/visiting scenic places, beautiful views, and finding great camping spots. I love being near lakes/rivers and in the mountains/forests. Not sure how much of that UT and NM have to offer. If there are any "must see/visit" locations Any and all advise will be much appreciated. Also, is my allotted time for this realistic without rushing? I do prefer to camp at least 2 nights in one spot if it's a nice place. Thanks!

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
May is too early in the season for the bulk of the trails around Ouray and Telluride. I'm not sure if Rimrocker is likely to be open by then.

Reactions: Henrik Martin

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
It's a challenge balancing a trip between UT and CO. If you come when CO trails are open, it's likely to be very hot in UT. Likewise, come when UT is cooler and you're likely to find much of CO closed due to snow.

July, August and maybe Sept is best for the high elevation Colorado trails.

I hope you can still make it work somehow.

Henrik Martin

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

It's a challenge balancing a trip between UT and CO. If you come when CO trails are open, it's likely to be very hot in UT. Likewise, come when UT is cooler and you're likely to find much of CO closed due to snow.

July, August and maybe Sept is best for the high elevation Colorado trails.

I hope you can still make it work somehow.
Thanks, that's good to know! I'll have to check the average weather for May. I had a feeling it might be a bit too early for CO. Still hoping some scenic roads will be open. I don't mind driving or camping in snow, but of course if doesn't matter if the roads are closed.