South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
They are really attracted to small animals so if you have a dog running around your camp then be careful and keep them away from the water. I did a summer internship down in Okeefeenokee NWR back when I was in college (way back). They were everywhere. A five foot gator is hard to hold with two people. I see plenty around SC too. But, they are pretty shy of people because they are hunted some. Don't mess with their nests or they can be aggressive. There is a little grunting noise the babies make and it's easy to duplicate if you really want to attract them, they will come.

Reactions: Road

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

They are really attracted to small animals so if you have a dog running around your camp then be careful and keep them away from the water. I did a summer internship down in Okeefeenokee NWR back when I was in college (way back). They were everywhere. A five foot gator is hard to hold with two people. I see plenty around SC too. But, they are pretty shy of people because they are hunted some. Don't mess with their nests or they can be aggressive. There is a little grunting noise the babies make and it's easy to duplicate if you really want to attract them, they will come.
Thanks for the insight!

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Ha, did you say alligators? Hold my beer.

View attachment 189316
Them little ole gators wouldn't scare me. Those little guys are just sunning. They get a whole lot bigger than that. Small dogs and a stringer of fish is what they really like. Just watch that tail. That one in the middle could probably break your leg.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Gators are really shy and cool if you respect them. Sometimes people upset a warm one and pay for it. Gators are very welcome in my campsite.

The crocs are the ones you need to watch out for.

Before you think this is crazy, note the unusual clarity of the water:

Last edited: