Overland Shops - Chicagoland Area

• HTML tutorial

Jscher5

Rank 0

Traveler I

Does anyone know of a good shop that has a culture of overlanding with a knowledgeable staff. I have had trouble getting any kind of service and help from the 4x4 shops and I am not a DIY person. I am a professional who travels a lot for work and I'm new to this. I'm really looking for a shop that can help me organize and prioritize my build. Someone I can develop a relationship with. I am in the Chicagoland area.

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Do you have a mechanic you currently use? That person plus a little education on your end can lead to a great relationship.

The key is for you to decide what you want out of your rig. Many are quite capable right off the showroom floor. Use it for a while for your desired purpose and see where you think you can make improvements.

I've had mine since 2008 and it is still pretty stock. I've replaced the bumpers because I play with it at the Cliffs (or used to more often) and there are plenty of little dips and hills that destroyed my stock ones. I also added a winch for solo-extraction when exploring up north (a friend was stranded overnight in deep snow on a grouse hunting trip because he didn't have one) and to help out with fellow club members in the mud at the Cliffs. ;)

I'm at a point where I am going to need new shocks and tires soon, so I need to decide if I want to keep the Jeep at stock height (handy when parking in garages downtown) or if I want to raise it a few inches (handy to avoid getting high-centered on hills due to the Unlimited's slightly longer wheelbase). Once I make up my mind, I'll have to decide on if I want to do the work myself or if I want to work with my mechanic. If I work with my mechanic, I'll still want to have a say in the parts, height, etc. Sure, I value his opinion and will talk to him to formulate a plan. But it will definitely be a team effort and I'll do my part... other than pay, of course!