Launch Member

Influencer I

Mobile, Alabama
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Hello guys and gals. I am looking to purchase a roof top tent for camping and overland trips. I have an LR3 with a Voyager rack. I was wondering what tents everyone was using. I am looking at the Tepui Kukenam Sky Roof Tent. Any thoughts are appreciated.

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

I'm running a CVT Mt. Shasta model. Couldn't be happier with it. The price point came with the zip on side room but I did option for the added skylights because I like to look up at the stars when camping.

Reactions: Brutus

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@Brutus My neighbor has that same Tepui on top of a Hyundai touring wagon. (traveling triathlon guy) and I have to say, super easy to set up, super easy to get in and out, super easy to put away. He did mention he had to add a little more padding, and the foam provided wasn't too think. He put in "egg crate" foam and with his sleeping bags, it's ridiculously comfy. He did have one very bad rain/wing night and said it responded "like any tent would, but without the wet ground." I've also been told the condensation pads underneath are a MUST.

Influencer II

Riverside,CA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Cochran
Member #

Tuff stuff roof top tents are same quality and $950 for the tent and Amex room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lipek

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

+1 for Tuff stuff RTT, I've owned mine for two years and it's been through every weather imaginable and its holding up great. I visually compared it to other brands and honestly it looks and feels the same if not better in some cases.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451439930.219298.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451439985.595618.jpg

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I'm interested in how you end up mounting it. I've got an LR4 with the low profile voyager rack. I don't think I am immediately in the market for a rtt due to kids/space and whatnot.. But still interested.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Influencer II

Riverside,CA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Cochran
Member #

Mine is currently on top of my Jeep. I just got a M101 trailer that I am rebuilding and it will be mounted similar to Lipeks build

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Recently purchased a CVT Mt Bayley for my vehicle, primarily for solo trips .
I'm set up to sleep in the back, but it does take a awhile to relocate all the gear inside and then have to put it all back the next day.
The RTT is much faster setup/teardown. Quite happy with it!

Reactions: Brutus and Lipek

Brutus

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mobile, Alabama
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Bell
Member #

I'm interested in how you end up mounting it. I've got an LR4 with the low profile voyager rack. I don't think I am immediately in the market for a rtt due to kids/space and whatnot.. But still interested.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I have the standard Voyager with the removable side bars. I think the mounting will be pretty easy. It will likely be a couple of months before I pull the trigger on one but as soon as I do there will be pictures and video.