KM6YSL
Last edited:

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

Couldn't agree more. Tires are the most important. But I would add that you should know what size you want to run ahead of time, and what kind of terrain you would be driving through. Maybe stock height is fine for the trails you plan on running.

Reactions: Michael

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I've built more than a couple of rigs over the years. So, in my humble opinion a very mild lift is all you need in order to travel on 99% of all two track trails in North America. I've never lifted a vehicle any more than what would void any factory warranties, in other words, no more than 2.5"s Once you go higher than that, you may as well open up your wallet and understand it'll cost you upwards of a thousand dollars an inch, and that's just to get the geometry corrected. Then as a lot of folks would agree, TIRES.. What will you be doing? Hard core recreational off road, overlanding, or a little or a lot of both? The size of your tires should match your drivetrain. I'd love to run 315s but that would entail spending a pile of money re-gearing to at least 4:88s. So, to mate well with my 4:11s, I stick with 285s, Whatever tire you choose, don't cheap out and do your research.

xKennyx

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Great article. My rig came with a 3" lift, but honestly I'm thinking of re-doing it and going with an OME 2.5" or something of the sort. Front bumper is coming in soon though, so I'm pumped about that!

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Very good article, I agree with the tires, number one place to start. I'm a bit cautious with lights, early on I got sucked into that, having more lights was a priority; but then I realized, I stop and make camp before it ever gets dark. If we are running late breakdown on the trail or get stuck, I find making camp there till the morning to be a better course of action for myself. Other mods like suspension for one, if it's needed for where you go, by all means go for it. Back in 98-99 my dad and I took his stock 91 Jeep Cherokee into Death Valley with some friends who had some seriously built rigs. We went everywhere they went, only scrapped the skid plate a couple of times, and unlike several others in the party, didn't end up frame deep in the mud. Later that year he put a three inch lift on it.... and never took it off road again. It's hard to live, but remember that just because you can make the mod, doesn't mean you should.

Reactions: California Overland

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Very good article, I agree with the tires, number one place to start. I'm a bit cautious with lights, early on I got sucked into that, having more lights was a priority; but then I realized, I stop and make camp before it ever gets dark. If we are running late breakdown on the trail or get stuck, I find making camp there till the morning to be a better course of action for myself. Other mods like suspension for one, if it's needed for where you go, by all means go for it. Back in 98-99 my dad and I took his stock 91 Jeep Cherokee into Death Valley with some friends who had some seriously built rigs. We went everywhere they went, only scrapped the skid plate a couple of times, and unlike several others in the party, didn't end up frame deep in the mud. Later that year he put a three inch lift on it.... and never took it off road again. It's hard to live, but remember that just because you can make the mod, doesn't mean you should.
Yea, I agree 100%. I don't get the light thing either. We had some years ago and never, I repeat, never used them. Somehow it seemed sacrilege to light up the night sky out in the middle of nowhere, when simple fog and headlamps on the rig, and a headlamp on our foreheads is plenty.

chris90

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Townsville, Australia
Member #

Good article, I agree with pretty much all the comments, the best mod you can make to increase the performance of a vehicle off road is good tyres.
One thing I haven't seen posted however is recovery points. If your rig doesn't have any way of getting out if it is stuck it doesn't matter how capable it is you shouldn't take it off road unless you are happy to lose or damage it. Also one of the cheapest mods you can do.

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Good article, I agree with pretty much all the comments, the best mod you can make to increase the performance of a vehicle off road is good tyres.
One thing I haven't seen posted however is recovery points. If your rig doesn't have any way of getting out if it is stuck it doesn't matter how capable it is you shouldn't take it off road unless you are happy to lose or damage it. Also one of the cheapest mods you can do.
That's true, I forget that most of the new rigs don't really have a good place to tug and pull on or from. The older trucks and Jeeps, you could almost put a chain on anything to free them up.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Hey guys getting into the overland scene and just researching and reading up on all the info and advice you guys are giving out. Just got me a JKU-Rubicon and the first thing I did was add a front bumper and 10,000lb winch. I also was looking into getting me a 3.5-4" lift but I'm digging the 2.5" with some 33"s or maybe some 35"s. What would you recommend on this and if you all have had experience with either your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jose

Reactions: Darren01

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
As far as a lift, depends on what you want to do. The 2.5 with 33"s would take you almost anywhere you would want. From experience I personally wouldn't go that large on the tires, the strain on the drive train is significant and could cause severe damage.

chris90

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Townsville, Australia
Member #

Hey guys getting into the overland scene and just researching and reading up on all the info and advice you guys are giving out. Just got me a JKU-Rubicon and the first thing I did was add a front bumper and 10,000lb winch. I also was looking into getting me a 3.5-4" lift but I'm digging the 2.5" with some 33"s or maybe some 35"s. What would you recommend on this and if you all have had experience with either your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jose
What do you want to use it for? The requirements for a rig are different if you want to use it for touring, rock crawling, etc... Be careful with large lifts like you mentioned unless you need them. Rubicon stock are very capable and if you lift it 4 inches and put 35s on it it will be more capable however it will also increase the rolling resistance, cause greater strain on the vehicle, decrease ride quality, increase fuel consumption and throw out the gear ratio. I'm not saying don't do it, just be aware of the pros and cons and make sure it is what you want to do to make your vehicle do what you need it to so you don't have any regrets in the future

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

What do you want to use it for? The requirements for a rig are different if you want to use it for touring, rock crawling, etc... Be careful with large lifts like you mentioned unless you need them. Rubicon stock are very capable and if you lift it 4 inches and put 35s on it it will be more capable however it will also increase the rolling resistance, cause greater strain on the vehicle, decrease ride quality, increase fuel consumption and throw out the gear ratio. I'm not saying don't do it, just be aware of the pros and cons and make sure it is what you want to do to make your vehicle do what you need it to so you don't have any regrets in the future
Thanks for the info and advice! I've been leaning between 2.5 and a 3.5" lift, either from Rock Krawler or Tera flex suspension and sticking between 33s or 35s. I want the jeep to be capable of heading out in the trails of Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, for camping and exploring nature but would also like it to be able to hit the rubicon and Utah rock trails as well. I'm not looking to do extreme rock crawling or build a rock crawler but would like to have the clearance to tackle those places just incase.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

As far as a lift, depends on what you want to do. The 2.5 with 33"s would take you almost anywhere you would want. From experience I personally wouldn't go that large on the tires, the strain on the drive train is significant and could cause severe damage.
Thanks Kingazjay for the info. I have lot of researching and asking questions before I make my choice just don't want to make the wrong decision and have to pay more and do it twice if you know what I mean. Lol

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Rubicon is pretty setup stock but they are long and could use some ground clearance. My fuel tank skid plate is evidence of that
You can run 35s witha 2.5 inch lift. 35s will be no issue for the drive train. The stock ball joints wont like it but they are junk anyway so once they fail replace with some quality (not mopar). Do you have 3.73 gears or 4.10?
All suspension systems are not created equal. Different spring types are used. Some are set for lots of flex some made just to lift it up higher. Some are geared more towards overlanding. And what I've read is that ride quality is better then stock with some suspension systems. This what I've read so take it with a grain of salt.

I personally going to pick up the teraflex 1.5 budget boost kit. I have another set of new rubicon tires I'm going to use when the current ones wear out. So this simple lift kit will give the added clearance while I run the stockers.
Once they are done I'm looking at the Metalcloak suspension 2.5 system and 33's

Reactions: Michael and Jose

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Rubicon is pretty setup stock but they are long and could use some ground clearance. My fuel tank skid plate is evidence of that
You can run 35s witha 2.5 inch lift. 35s will be no issue for the drive train. The stock ball joints wont like it but they are junk anyway so once they fail replace with some quality (not mopar). Do you have 3.73 gears or 4.10?
All suspension systems are not created equal. Different spring types are used. Some are set for lots of flex some made just to lift it up higher. Some are geared more towards overlanding. And what I've read is that ride quality is better then stock with some suspension systems. This what I've read so take it with a grain of salt.

I personally going to pick up the teraflex 1.5 budget boost kit. I have another set of new rubicon tires I'm going to use when the current ones wear out. So this simple lift kit will give the added clearance while I run the stockers.
Once they are done I'm looking at the Metalcloak suspension 2.5 system and 33's
Thanks Stoney for the input. I have a automatic with 3.73 gears and stock 32" tires right. I'm pretty sure I will need to new gearing if I jump up to 35" but what if I stick to 33"s do you think I would need new gears as well?

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Thanks Stoney for the input. I have a automatic with 3.73 gears and stock 32" tires right. I'm pretty sure I will need to new gearing if I jump up to 35" but what if I stick to 33"s do you think I would need new gears as well?
No you won't. The difference in tire size doesnt really warrant it. To be honest ive seen 35s with 3.73 gears, not very beneficial when trying crawl around and would make your shift points a bit screwy .Like was posted before it really depends on what your getting into and how you want to build the rig. I'm very entry level to offroading so I'm building as needed and money allows.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
No you won't. The difference in tire size doesnt really warrant it. To be honest ive seen 35s with 3.73 gears, not very beneficial when trying crawl around and would make your shift points a bit screwy .Like was posted before it really depends on what your getting into and how you want to build the rig. I'm very entry level to offroading so I'm building as needed and money allows.
What @stoney126 said. I run my stock gears with 2.5" lift and 35s, no issue. Now, if you have a 4-banger that might be a different issue!

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I have the 3.6liter in mine and will be using it more for trail and exploring plus some occasional rock crawling if needed. Thanks again guys for you input and help.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I've got the 3.6 as well. 2014 rubicon jku. Stock gearing drive train and tires.
So far I've found I could a bit more ground clearance. Love to get a winch here soon though too