• HTML tutorial

SonOfNeptune

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Springfield MO
Member #

While I am in the middle of my rig build (Build Thread: Chevy 2500...) I am evaluating my kitchen set up. For the longest time I have been using the Jetboil (fell in love with that thing on my deployments) and while I will always have one I am looking to expand to a functioning kitchen. Show me your kitchen setups. What do you like about them, dislike??? Do you use a certain chuck box like a Campmate? What about Pelican box kitchen builds? While its on my list of things to build its towards the bottom since I already have a 'system' if you will but like I said its my intention to have a full working kitchen galley.

Kaioken

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

Surprised no one has chimed in on this. I am interested as well. I personally have a jetboil for my coffee and kitchen table/stove by coleman. Can't forget and ice cooler. I however need to extend this and have it set up for efficiency. Suggestions just like the OP?

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I'm using just the same ol camp setup right now. Cole man stove, French press for coffee. Have a 4 foot plastic table that folds in half that has been working great for us so far and was inexpensive but very sturdy. And doesn't take up alot of room. think we got it at costco.

We have been using my superduty so room Wasn't a problem, but switching to the wrangler for some jaunts out and about make selection a bit more tough. Even with the roof rack going on it comes down to how long do I want to set up and how long to pack up.

I've seen some elaborate setups that are very cool but seem way overkill. I too am looking for a nice setup as not to dig through bins to find the salt shaker but don't want something nicer then the kitchen in my house.

That tembo tusk shuttle looks like a viable option for cooking and space saving.

Sorry rambling on

Reactions: SonOfNeptune

Kaioken

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

I just need to figure out what's should prepare with. A fridge would be nice but do not have the funds at this moment. I prefer to use the funds for the restoration part of my Montero.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Coleman stove and the coleman kitchen setup with the table, rack, drying net, lantern post and stove holder. It folds up small and works well. For coffee I have a pour over system that works really well. What I love about the coleman stove is if it fails I can use my SOG tool and usually pull it apart and fix it in a few minutes (most of my problems stem from moisture in the burners). Uses the same generic white gas as my trusty/rusty Coleman 2-mantel lanterns so that simplifies fuel.

It isn't the trendy gear but it's similar to the stuff my parents had for decades...although I wish I had the old gear like that. For dry goods we use a sterlite container. The rest of the kitchen gear (cast iron, corkscrew, blue enamel fine china, etc) lives in a Plano 1919. As it stands we are nearly weekend camping Preppers, able to take a handful of pre-packed containers and leave on short notice. ;p

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

A dedicated kitchen setup for my overland rig is something I haven't given much thought to. I just use a Coleman camp stove and a Coleman cooler. I put the cooler on the ground and stove on top of it, or I use a rock if there is a good one available. This has me thinking that I need to address this a little better though.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I was just introduced to the Skottle. I really like it! In addition, in my Plano case I have:

1. Coleman Lantern
  2. Coleman Stove
  3. Trash Bags
  4. Propane (3)
  5. Insect Repellant
  6. Camp Bowls (4)
  7. Silverware Sets (4)
  8. Wet Ones
  9. GSI Pinnacle Camper Kit (pots,pans,plates,cups)
  10. Thin Plastic Cutting Board
  11. Coffee Filters
  12. Coffee strainer
  13. MSR Water Filter
  14. Fire Bag (lots of ways to start a fire)
  15. Cooking Utinsils
  16. Knife, another knife
  17. Paper Towels
  18. Foot Care Kit
  19. Bottle Opener
  20. Can Opener
  21. Aliminum Foil
  22. Empty Tupperware
  23. Napkins
  24. Kleenex
  25. Dish Washing Kit
  26. Paper Plates
  27. Toilet Paper (Mountain Money)

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

i just had the chance to test out my new kitchen/storage system this last weekend out in the ozarks. it worked fantastic!

i built a drawer system for my fridge and other gear, but instead of just having basic drawers, i added tops to 2 of them to double as tables when they are pulled out. In one, i keep my coleman stove and some misc. stuff, and the other has some cast iron skillets, a dutch oven, small backpacking stove, cooking utensils, plates, bowls, etc.

the left side is a double slide out so i have better access to the fridge, and has a table that come out underneath it. The right side is just a single slide out.

i also added some small LED bolts into the rear hatch panel to add some good lighting when cooking. As we learned over the weekend though, they function amazingly well when you have a group trying to look at a map to do some planning. There wasn't one shadow to been on the map with 4 people looking at it.

20151007_231217.jpg 20151007_231255.jpg 20151008_153856.jpg

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

thanks! i need to go back and change all the slides to locking ones, and also make the left drawer into a 6" tall instead of 4" tall. I also plan on replacing the tops with some cutting board material instead of the MDF

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nice Job!! Love your set up! Makes me want to start a winter project. I am going to be installing an overhead rack in my LC too. They are on sale for $19.99 for the black shelves.
Do you have a power source in the rear compartment? or do you run electrics from the front?

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

as of right now i have a single 12v power outlet in the rear from the factory that i rewired to my aux fuse box. I will eventually add a few more back there for different purposes. Also, currently i'm running a single battery setup, with plans to add a second battery and controller/isolator as soon as i can find room to put on.

im working on putting this build into my build thread at the moment. i will post the link here in a few mins.

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

In the xterra community it got dubbed the "lobo" rack. Its a cheap piece of shelving that i picked up at lowes, and used the clothes hangers to hang it up. I keep quite a bit of camping gear up there. My 2 hammocks, 2 sleeping pads, 2 nalgene bottles, water filter, 2 profly rain-flys, a bug net, first aid kit, machete, bag of tent stakes, and also hung a paper towel holder from it

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I just started working on a kitchen build myself. I think i will probably build a trailer and use it as the platform for a kitchen. Most my trips will be weekend trips where a full kitchen won't be needed. The longer trips i'll hook up trailer and go, plus i'll need more space anyways for the longer trips so the trailer serves double duty.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I just started working on a kitchen build myself. I think i will probably build a trailer and use it as the platform for a kitchen. Most my trips will be weekend trips where a full kitchen won't be needed. The longer trips i'll hook up trailer and go, plus i'll need more space anyways for the longer trips so the trailer serves double duty.
That's what we do too. We have a small box with the overnight kitchen, then a larger camp kitchen if we stay more than a day. Traveling any long distance, we don't want to fully unpack and reload the rig every night.

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

That's what we do too. We have a small box with the overnight kitchen, then a larger camp kitchen if we stay more than a day. Traveling any long distance, we don't want to fully unpack and reload the rig every night.
I keep a tote packed for up to a 3-night camp. But, we keep B.O.B. in all our cars that if we needed to could sustain us an additional 3 days. We have a 1yr old and a 3yr old, both boys and kids can add a lot of complication to trips haha, wouldn't trade them for the world though.