Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Thanks for all the insight. I’ve been camping quite a few times but usually I’m very easy to get to places. With my new truck I’d like to push a little farther into some cooler places off the beaten trail. You talked about knowing your trucks limits. What’s a good way to find that out? I’ve never owned a truck before but my dad had a four wheeler and a Polaris ranger so I’ve done off roading with those but they were made for the sole purpose of off roading. I want to go and practice but I don’t really know where I can do that or what specifically to watch for or what things to practice. Any recommendations on that front?
Start with what you are comfortable with. Easy trails small spurs off of forrest roads and progress as you feel comfortable. Look into OHv parks near you that you may be able to test stuff and push your limits in a more controlled environment and likely people will be there that can help you out. Look for Rally Points on in the site here that may be in your area with easy routes or ones that you feel comfortable with so you can go out with people and gain experiences and learn from them. Many great people here that know a lot and are happy to share what they know.

Reactions: Ubiety

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
First of all, welcome to the rabbit hole.

I'm a big proponent of starting simple. You've got experience camping, so start with what you have. You've got the sleeping situation covered. Great!

Grab a cooler, some water, and and get out there.

The only things I would say are necessary is good tires, and a way to inflate and deflate them. Inflation and deflation tools can be had for relatively cheap. Grab something like the viair 88p and a tire deflator off Amazon, and you're set.

Also, make sure you have a full size spare.

I would highly recommend finding a group near you and getting to know people. Go out with them. My first trip I ever did was 4 days with a group of complete strangers. I threw everything in the back of the truck, and was totally hooked.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Thanks for all the insight. I’ve been camping quite a few times but usually I’m very easy to get to places. With my new truck I’d like to push a little farther into some cooler places off the beaten trail. You talked about knowing your trucks limits. What’s a good way to find that out? I’ve never owned a truck before but my dad had a four wheeler and a Polaris ranger so I’ve done off roading with those but they were made for the sole purpose of off roading. I want to go and practice but I don’t really know where I can do that or what specifically to watch for or what things to practice. Any recommendations on that front?
The capability will depend on what you end up buying. Clearly a Raptor will be more capable than a Ridgeline, even though the Ridgeline can probably still handle things like a decent forest road. Do some of the following:
  • Online research about what others have done with the stock version of whatever you are considering, keeping in mind where you are planning on going. (i.e. don't watch YT videos of rock crawling if you plan to mostly go to the beach) I say stock, because every truck started out that way and at it's core will be the basis for what it was designed to handle.
  • Go to a meet up and talk with others, ask questions, see what they have learned. There are a few DFW area meetups you can check out here: DFW OB meet and greet & DFW - Meet & Greet & Ft Worth West Meetup
  • Visit an off-road park nearby with varying levels of difficulty. Always best to go with someone else, just in case there's a problem. Northwest OHV Park in Bridgeport might be a good place for you to start. (Northwest OHV Park | Bridgeport, TX - Official Website)
  • Have fun!

Reactions: thebenmobile

thebenmobile

Rank I

Contributor III

Prosper, Denton County, Texas, United States
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Helm
Start with what you are comfortable with. Easy trails small spurs off of forrest roads and progress as you feel comfortable. Look into OHv parks near you that you may be able to test stuff and push your limits in a more controlled environment and likely people will be there that can help you out. Look for Rally Points on in the site here that may be in your area with easy routes or ones that you feel comfortable with so you can go out with people and gain experiences and learn from them. Many great people here that know a lot and are happy to share what they know.
What does OHv mean?

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
OHV is short for off highway vehicle. Typically, these are designated areas where things like dirt bikes, side by sides, and rock buggies are allowed.
True, but this park does allow regular vehicles as well. Since it's govt owned property and not private, a state OHV license is required.

Dave Snyder

Rank VI
Investor

Trail Blazer II

Greenfield Township, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

Find some public land you can access and start driving. Start with the forest roads and get more adventurous as your skills and kit grow. If you have doubts about a certain obstacle or trail, turn around. Especially if you're by yourself. Beyond that, you could look for a 4x4 driving school where they will teach you how to drive off road. They will teach you everything from driving skills to recovery.