Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

Good Afternoon,
Looking to head to Flagstaff next year for the first time. Need suggestions for trails to hit before and after. We will be driving down from BC, Canada. Hoping to complete a 2 week trip hitting some trails before and after the event.

I thought about Mojave but read the water crossings may be too high in Spring. Also, considering around Colorado. Imogene Pass may have same problems as Mojave in spring. Would it be better to hit the parks and trails around Utah?

We will be driving a stock (suspension) 2019 Toyota TRD PRO. Looking for moderate trails that we can do solo and some awesome camping spots.

Trailjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Whetstone, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Cashman
Member #

Look into some of the state BDRs (Backcountry Discovery routes). Most of them should be pretty doable by 4x4.

Colorado,Utah and Arizona have them, as do quite a few other states. I think most of them are broken into sections so you can do as much or little of them as your time permits.
Just Google search back country discovery routes. The websites have good info and interactive maps of the routes.
Hope this helps.

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

Look into some of the state BDRs (Backcountry Discovery routes). Most of them should be pretty doable by 4x4.

Colorado,Utah and Arizona have them, as do quite a few other states. I think most of them are broken into sections so you can do as much or little of them as your time permits.
Just Google search back country discovery routes. The websites have good info and interactive maps of the routes.
Hope this helps.
We planned the Washington BDR this year but our plans changed. I’m looking at some MOAB trails as potential. But will check the Utah BDR for sure. Thanks.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Around Las Vegas you have the Bittersprings Byway which is by Valley of Fire, that is a day or 2,
I would plan a north rim of the Grand Canyon adventure if it was me....start by Mesquite and come out around Kanab then cruise around to Page and into Flagstaff..
That would give you a great southwest US experience.

Norcalocal

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky
I was in the same situation as you last spring/early-summer (massive snow year so it was like early spring). Wanted to do San Juans in CO, but snow load was too big. To further complicate matters, the other rig in my group (totaling two) decided to retreat home on the third day of trip. Regardless, it turned out to be an awesome adventure while adapting to changing plans. My trip (wife and two young kids along 2yr & 4) went like this:
1. Day 1&2- Drove from California to Moab.
2. Day 3-5- Drove the White rim trail - This was awesome and one of hilights of trip. First day of this trail my friend ducked out.
3. Day 6-7- Explored some of the 4x4 trails around moab (camped in primitive backcountry found on google earth).
4. Day 8- Drove to Capital Reef NP- went up to temple of sun, moon, and earth.
5. Day 9- Drove the Burr Trail Rd south from Capital Reef NP through Grand Escalente NP. The stretch of pavement between Burr Trail switchbacks and Escalante is very diverse (multiple different colors of canyons, etc).
6. Day 10- Camped (way) above Bryce Canyon at top of some random farm road; very cool spot.
7. Day 11-12- explored Zion NP; stayed at a hotel just outside the south entrance.
8. Day 14- Stayed at friends house in Vegas (had a repair to do on my truck).
9. Day 15- Camped at Alabama Hills in Eastern Sierra.

Utah is awesome that time of year. Attached are a few photos from areas described (probably not in order).

Attachments

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

I was in the same situation as you last spring/early-summer (massive snow year so it was like early spring). Wanted to do San Juans in CO, but snow load was too big. To further complicate matters, the other rig in my group (totaling two) decided to retreat home on the third day of trip. Regardless, it turned out to be an awesome adventure while adapting to changing plans. My trip (wife and two young kids along 2yr & 4) went like this:
2. Day 3-5- Drove the White rim trail - This was awesome and one of hilights of trip. First day of this trail my friend ducked out.
3. Day 6-7- Explored some of the 4x4 trails around moab (camped in primitive backcountry found on google earth).
5. Day 9- Drove the Burr Trail Rd south from Capital Reef NP through Grand Escalente NP. The stretch of pavement between Burr Trail switchbacks and Escalante is very diverse (multiple different colors of canyons, etc).
6. Day 10- Camped (way) above Bryce Canyon at top of some random farm road; very cool spot.
7. Day 11-12- explored Zion NP; stayed at a hotel just outside the south entrance.

Utah is awesome that time of year. Attached are a few photos from areas described (probably not in order).
Awesome thank you for the pictures. I love the remoteness of it.

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mechanicsville Iowa
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ke0uvb
Service Branch
USAF
We are going to hit the Arizona Piece Trail at least a good portion of it. Also if you like remote camping try Toroweep/Toweep . Its 60 miles in and you nearly camp on the edge of the Grand Canyon. You do need a permit for camping and no trailers allowed the last 5 miles in. Well worth it !!!.
Joe
Nomad Overlanding

fireyota30

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

RedBluff CA
First Name
wacy
Last Name
barbour
Member #

Looks like fun right on safe journeys and many travels

Ratthew

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I would absolutely recommend Schnebly Hill Road, take it from Hwy 17 down into Sedona. Then hit up the broken arrow trail once you get into Sedona. You will it.