Overland Dog Equipment

• HTML tutorial

Pick Teej

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Smethport, Pennsylvania
Member #

For those of you that bring dogs on your journeys what kind of equipment do you bring/ need. we bring a few toys, frisbee, tennis ball, etc. collapsible bowl set and Bear's food is kept in baggies for each meal. also considering the Seresto collar for flea and tick control. anyone with experience on that would help greatly. we use Fontline topical stuff now but wondering if theirs a better alternative.

By the way, this is Bear. about 6 months old now at over 50lbs
20170813_184341.jpg output.jpg

Maxsterblaster

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Ozark, Dale County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Max
Last Name
Rode
Member #

we use Frontline on our three BooBooHeads. we also pack extra long and short leashes and extra collars. we also have first aid kits that are dog specific. and bring a brush and a "shedding blade" for stickers and grooming.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Complete first aid kit including vet wrap, skin stapler, suture kit, benedryl, e.m.t. Gel and a muzzle. She hunts, so she gets banged up sometimes. Usually we're pretty remote so I make sure I'm prepared for injuries. Bravecto has worked great for fleas and ticks. Orally given every three months. It's not cheap, but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: LandPirate

Pick Teej

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Smethport, Pennsylvania
Member #

Also I forgot to mention! at night time we will put a head lamp on him like a collar and it has a red light so if he wanders off further than the eye can see at night he has a bring red light showing us where he is. excellent tool.

Reactions: LandPirate

Maxsterblaster

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Ozark, Dale County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Max
Last Name
Rode
Member #

Stickers?
anything that gets stuck in fur. we have 3 Furbabies and each one has different type of fur. the boarder collie has really fine long fur, the Rotty has short fur, and the husky has long coarse fur. if it can get stuck we catch it. the shedding blade is usually for horses but works outstanding on dog and does not tangle or pull.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
I have a service dog that goes with me everywhere. There are some great ideas on here I need to add to his kit. Instead of repeating I'll just mention what I don't see on the list yet. He has a jacket for cold weather, his own pack to carry a collapsible bowl for his food, snacks, and water on a hike. I also take him a dog bed/pad type thing and if it's cold will bring him an old sleeping bag to throw over him. Everything else is already on this thread I think.

Sent from my LGLS991 using OB Talk mobile app

Pick Teej

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Smethport, Pennsylvania
Member #

I have a service dog that goes with me everywhere. There are some great ideas on here I need to add to his kit. Instead of repeating I'll just mention what I don't see on the list yet. He has a jacket for cold weather, his own pack to carry a collapsible bowl for his food, snacks, and water on a hike. I also take him a dog bed/pad type thing and if it's cold will bring him an old sleeping bag to throw over him. Everything else is already on this thread I think.

your service dog is a larger dog i assume? what kind of pack do you have for him? was it difficult getting him used to carrying a bag?

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
He's on the big side, about 95lbs. I will get you a brand name when I get the chance, within a couple hours. I had no problem with him putting it on. I called him over, let him sniff it. Put it over his and started hooking it up. It wasn't till I loaded it and started walking with it that I made some final adjustments. Be sure weight is even, harness is tightened properly, try to pull weight out evenly, adjust things as you go if needed. Oh, haha, when getting the dog used to it and walking through places like your house or stores be aware that they will bump into things due to the extra width till they get used to it. I just put it on him to hike now. He carries his own water, food, collapsible bowl, snacks, etc.

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Frontline does not seem to work over here in the uk had to go to the vet and pick up some expensive flea treatment. But yes bowls, food, toys, bed, towels, dog first aid kit and treats.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
Dog bed, how big is your dog?
You fit all that in it's back pack?

Last edited:

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

With the dog packs put it on them whenever you go for walks or to the dog park Etc. this way they associate it with fun and will try to climb into it whenever you pull it out. also start it out with balled up newspaper or something that fills it up to capacity but doe not weigh to much.
To build up weight, another option is to use a pair of milk jugs or 2-liter soda bottles. Start with them empty and gradually add water for weight. Just make sure you balance out the weight so it is equal on both sides.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I've avoided a dog pack, I don't see how it could be necessary and only opens the door for hot spots, unnecessary Joint damage etc... they are pretty much cute hiking accessories with no benefit to the dog. maybe on a big dog on a long backpack trip, but even then, dehydrated dog food weighs next to nothing and they can drink from wherever you're filtering your water from and just carry a little more for in between. When I hunt all day with my dog I plan on packing her water for her and bring a couple packets of foodsaved real honey if she needs a boost which is rare. Dogs don't need snacks etc for a day hike and for a lot of them, it's not a good idea to feed them during exercise as it can cause bloat which will quickly kill them. My dog gets fed at night only if she is going to hunt and never the morning of a trip. I carry a collapsible bowl, but she's happy to drink from a camelbak and I can keep her head wet with it in hot weather too. For a service dog bred to pack something necessary, totally different, but otherwise I don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: canadianoverlanders

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

I have a black lab service dog. Aside from food, 2 bowls in the vehicle, she has her own Maxpedition Active shooter bag, which contains IFK, water bottle, 3 cups of food, collapsible bowl, 6', 3', and 18" leash, service vest and proof of ownership, shots, and service accreditation. As for toys she has a "Chuck it" thrower and the balls, a HD foam thing to throw in the water and her best toy....me. She has the entire back seat and sleeps with us. For flea and ticks we use food grade diatomaceous earth. We sprinkle a tea spoon into her food in the am also. With that said, because she is a service dog she requires all her shots including heart worm meds etc.
BTW love the look of your dog Pick Teej.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Pick Teej

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I have a 100 pound Alaskan Malamute.

He requires no bed or additional jacket. He sleeps tied to the front bumper regardless of weather.

He carries the largest MountainSmith dog pack available when hiking. Then I don't have to carry anything except what I want kept dry.

Rides in the cargo area of my FZJ80 on a custom platform, behind one of the dog barriers I build. www.speskioffroad.com

My General first aid kit contains everything already mentioned plus a dog first aid book. I just keep all that stuff with the human first aid stuff. The only thing to add is that I carry two of the "winter" dog booties. Not to keep his foot warm but to protect one in the event of injury. These I've had to use on occasion. Otherwise both my Mals have proven to be very durable in the field.

He is not much for toys so I just make sure I have treats, leash, and poop bags in the truck at all times.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have a 30ish lb mini aussie. I have collapsible bowls to carry on walks for water. I have a harness and a couple different leashes I take with me that serve different purposes. One is short and simple which is great for a lot of the off-leash areas, and the other is better suited for longer on-leash. I also made a tether out of 550 paracord and a carabiner if I am in my hammock or need to tether my pup with some room to roam. I use Intercepter for heartworm and NexGard for flea and tick. Aside from the usual (food, water, treats, toys, etc.), some seat covers are a good investment.