Overland Camping Trailers w/ Bathroom?????

• HTML tutorial

JimmyPresley

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Portsmouth, NH, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Presley
Member #

OK so my goal this year is to get my wife into Overland Camping. Not an easy task. She prefers hotels. So the kicker is a bathroom. I am determined to find a small off road capable camper with am indoor bathroom. Surely some of you have been through this and succeeded. Any help or advice? Other than convince her or give up. We are both far too stubborn for either of those answers.

I've seen the trailers from Australia but none seem to be made available in US. Bruder may be but is rather expensive.

Anyone seen a t@g Outlander version? Fits bathroom requirement. Its small and may can be made more off road capable.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Welllll... there are a couple out there, but they're not inexpensive. Google "Australian Off Road Camper Trailer"

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ManWithJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Aaa
Member #

I'll save you the cash - you're not going to convince her. Either she'll come around on her own, or she'll go to appease you a couple times and then stop anyway. If you buy a camper for her she'll only go out of guilt that you spent the money, which will make her even more miserable, and it'll end poorly in the end anyway. Ask me how I know :tearsofjoy:

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

The thing I could think of would be a converted cargo trailer as a base and build it yourself. I have never seen an overlanding type trailer that had a built-in bathroom that I can recall. Or at least one that wasn't Uber expensive.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

This would be soooo awesome!! Maybe you could build something similar to an awning with walls that would extend out from either the side of your rig or from the trailer?

Ganja_Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Monroe, Wa
Member #

I'm with Manwithajeep. If it takes that much convincing, it might not be worth it. Although all it took was one night in my roof top tent to change my better half's mind, but her only issue was being cold.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Dylan Cave

Rob GoVenture

Rank III

Advocate I

We had a Casita trailer. We lifted it 3 inches and put shocks and bigger tires on it. It fit in tent sites and we did hundreds of miles of dirt roads in it. We only got rid of it because we needed 4 season capability.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I've seen those Casitas. Nice little trailers

On a side note, my wife and I are in the market for a pop up. We saw a couple with toilet/shower combos that we are really interested in.
We want something that we can "hide" in the backyard (under the fence line) due to the yuppie hoa regulations.

This pop up had ....maybe.... 29" tires and a slight lift but so far it is our top contender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

JimmyPresley

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Portsmouth, NH, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Presley
Member #

I've seen those Casitas. Nice little trailers

On a side note, my wife and I are in the market for a pop up. We saw a couple with toilet/shower combos that we are really interested in.
We want something that we can "hide" in the backyard (under the fence line) due to the yuppie hoa regulations.

This pop up had ....maybe.... 29" tires and a slight lift but so far it is our top contender.

I will look for those. Didn't know any pop ups had a bathroom.

Rob GoVenture

Rank III

Advocate I

I'm away from home (where I have my notes)
And I can't remember the name for the life of me

But they are out there. Many ma manufacturers offer them

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

I agree with manwithjeep. Overlanding changed for me and my wife with one very cheap purchase.
I bought her a Luggable Loo by Reliance with double doodee bags that go in the bucket for #1 or #2's. next morning the bag ziplocks and you can chuck it out with no mess.
Now in our kakadu trailer or on the trail we have a s#!tter.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: mdoverl

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

This would be the ultimate but spendy!! I would have one in a minute just can't justify the price.

On another note, I have an Aussie style offroad camper with a Porta-pottie that works for us. Just need to incorporate a hot shower and heat. Still working on it.
Well we are still making do with the bucket in the tent.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I had a pop up cabover on the last truck with a porta pottie but it wasn’t worth the effort and smell. Fortunately it didn’t take my wife long to get used to taking care of business outdoors. We now have an rtt so she does her thing before bed and I bring a hospital type plastic urinal bottle along (I like beers around the campfire) it’s worked out good for us. There are those pop up tent bathroom things that might work for her, but you’ll still need a bucket type thing like a lug able loo. I don’t know how well a porta pottie would seal off-road, it could get funky? I’ve seen some interesting funnel female devices for number 1, I believe the name brand was shenise, so you can figure out the rest... that might make that part tolerable for her. She might not be too excited about taking a shovel and a roll of tp for the rest, but if she likes the rest of the experience maybe she’ll get used to it? Maybe take her to more remote Campgrounds that have toilets and have a good time wheeling etc and slowly work into the rougher stuff? That’s what I did.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I had a pop up cabover on the last truck with a porta pottie but it wasn’t worth the effort and smell. Fortunately it didn’t take my wife long to get used to taking care of business outdoors. We now have an rtt so she does her thing before bed and I bring a hospital type plastic urinal bottle along (I like beers around the campfire) it’s worked out good for us. There are those pop up tent bathroom things that might work for her, but you’ll still need a bucket type thing like a lug able loo. I don’t know how well a porta pottie would seal off-road, it could get funky? I’ve seen some interesting funnel female devices for number 1, I believe the name brand was shenise, so you can figure out the rest... that might make that part tolerable for her. She might not be too excited about taking a shovel and a roll of tp for the rest, but if she likes the rest of the experience maybe she’ll get used to it? Maybe take her to more remote Campgrounds that have toilets and have a good time wheeling etc and slowly work into the rougher stuff? That’s what I did.

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

The thing I could think of would be a converted cargo trailer as a base and build it yourself. I have never seen an overlanding type trailer that had a built-in bathroom that I can recall. Or at least one that wasn't Uber expensive.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app
I did just that 3 year ago. To do it right takes a lot of work, skill and planning. Here is a picture mine from the rear. Full kitchen, insulated walls/ceiling/floor, 12 volt/110 ac wired, fold down bed, Fridge, porta potti, etc. The only issue is low ground clearence. We haul our motorcycle, setup a base camp and ride from camp. Purchaaed the trailer new, and habe $8500 total into the build.20150411_123601.jpg 20170804_151257.jpg 20170804_151145.jpg 20170804_151512.jpg 20170804_151052.jpg 20150411_123601.jpg 20170804_151145.jpg 20170804_151512.jpg 20170804_151052.jpg

Traveler I

I faced a similar dilemma recently, I really wanted to get my wife to come out camping with me more often as she only enjoys camping in cooler weather and in Houston that is like one month out of the year so I was looking at getting a Taxa Outdoors Tiger Moth, which is similar to a teardrop and can be outfitted with air conditioning so that would sweeten the deal for her but after a lot of discussion we both agreed that there would end up being guilt involved and I would get annoyed that she still didn't want to go camping in Summer when I bought it for that reason. In the end I went with what I personally wanted, which was the Woolly Bear, an expedition style trailer with RTT, we've squeezed in a few trips in it and she loves it. So my advice would be to not try to convince her, plus do you really want a toilet taking up space inside a small camper not to mention the potential for odors?

As for the bathroom situation I have a Kelty privacy tent (have had a few others but the Kelty is by far the best out of the bunch) with a Cleanwaste foldable toilet and we use the Go Anywhere Toilet Kit bags, works a charm and coupled with a Nemo Helio Pressurized shower that we use for rinsing off (not showering as it isn't heated) my wife's needs are met.

Reactions: Voiceness

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Forgot to mention that when I bought a roof top tent for our new Smitybuilt, I bought an XL tent, and the porta-potti sits off the edge of the queen mattress to one side. Climbing down a ladder in the middle of the night was not going to end well for my wife, so we have an indoor bathroom when we use the RTT. Since we've had a the porta-potti for years, we are used to dealing with the task of emptying during and after the trip is over.