First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Just FYI on another DIY

Forgive my ignorance but I posted my build thread in the general discussion area. I found a lot of inspiration looking at other solutions and here’s mine.
Overland Drawer Build TACOMA- Pic Heavy

Basically I started with this plan-
0DA5BD8D-30D1-40E7-9510-C442A60135D9.jpeg
And ended with this-
A9F41A7B-6E2F-4938-8A51-ED615A4EB3C6.jpeg

The build thread link details the process :)

Last edited:

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hows the weight hold up?
Looks awesome! Very well done!
It did really well with the weight. The slides are more than enough to hold the weight
Nice! Really like what you've done
Thanks! It works really well. Last weekend I was in tahoe at a (dreaded) campground and my site was clean and organized. I was amazed how people camp, it looks like a yard sale with stuff piled up everywhere. Any flat space is littered with coolers, stoves and bins. In the morning I had a group near me that I saw starting to pack up as I went out for a short 45 minute ride. I came back, loaded up my bike, closed my RTT and drawer, and drove by them as they put in the last of their gear. Ease of use is really nice and it’s time savingBAB65739-DFE7-4A7C-8ECD-B1E074617873.jpegB0BFDEF1-3B72-4687-875D-A9F0E93B33AD.jpeg

Joe Baker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yelm, Washington
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Baker
Member #

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
How do you like that cooler? The price is right but a real world use opinion would be very welcome!
The price is much more reasonable than Yeti’s or similar “super coolers”. For the price of a Yeti one might as well just get a fridge. I have found that it works really well when you follow their advice of precooling it. It has a lot of space and to help I freeze a mostly full 1 gallon jug of drinking water. This helps the ice last longer AND you can drink some as it melts :)
My only issue with it is that the rubber gasket to the lid isn’t air tight or water sealing. So if you were to knock it over while locked melted ice water would leak out (I never have). Not sure why it’s not air tight, but it performed just about as well on the Mojave Road as my friends Yeti, but at 1/4 the price.

Last edited:

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I’m thinking about adding a DIY bed slide. Imagine a bed slide under the cooler in the first photo below. I went back to my trusty yellow binder paper for blue prints. The sliders are vertical but would be resting right on the truck bed connected only by the base between the sliders and a rear board to anchor it and keep the sliders vertical. The rough plans might help visualize my idea. Usually sliders are screwed to a cabinet wall, these would be free standing. They are HEAVY and strong, think it would work? This would save me from shimming and wiggling my dad bod under the tonneau to grab gear tucked all the way in the back as the entire 5 feet of storage room would slide out. With the height of the cooler I need the slide as close to the bed of the truck as possible.

Photo showing the cooler orientation, imagine a slide under it
50FED156-2ABB-469D-9835-3CFC806EAB39.jpeg

High Quality Blue Prints
F6174EA1-7377-4011-86BF-B6E6C8C7C2B9.jpeg
Photo of the sliders for reference and how beefy they are
66514F0F-DB13-4E9B-9D08-580D193D9D3D.jpeg

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Love them! Great work!
Might steal some of your ideas when I eventually do my 2017 Tacoma bed drawers...
Really like the "pop-up" surfaces, and how cutting board surface and/or the grill only comes out if you want it.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Love them! Great work!
Might steal some of your ideas when I eventually do my 2017 Tacoma bed drawers...
Really like the "pop-up" surfaces, and how cutting board surface and/or the grill only comes out if you want it.
Yeah take and use what you can!
Nice work @PapaDave , nice set-up, nice TRUCK!, nice bike. Looks very well sorted from here.
Dan
Thanks man!