Rank V

Enthusiast I

Keller, Texas, United States
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Stowe
Member #

As I am still relatively new to the overland community, much of my time has been spent researching locations and trails. While my family and I have adventured across parts of TX and CO in recent years, we are now planning for our summer trip from Texas to NM, AZ, UT, and CO. The goal is to hit a number of National Parks by way of highways and National Forrest roads / trails. Then, next year, we’re planning an extended trip through CO, WY, and MT. My grandfather took me on a similar trip when I was a kid. And my wife and I want to adventure with our daughter before she is done with college.

So I was curious what’s on your “Overland Bucket List?”
What’s your favorite place or a place you’d love to go again?
Where are you planning to go in the near future?
What’s the place you’d love to explore?

Thanks, in advance, for the feedback. It might add some items to my list or enhance one of our upcoming trips.

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

White Rim Road in Canyonlands NP is a must see. It's best to do over 2 or 3 days, which means booking well in advance for the limited camp sites. The hassle of booking is well worth it though as the scenery is spectacular and the terrain easy with the occasional moderate spots. Every overlander should have this one ticked off.
On my ”to do” list is the Mojave Road, another iconic overlanding route.

Reactions: JStowe2

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I loved Death Valley and Bryce Canyon when I went up that way. lots of hiking trails ( if you are into hiking) and way different terrain than I am used to ( I don't live anywhere near deserts).
I would love to take a trip to Alaska, BC, Alberta, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador.
Unfortunately I don't often get the time off of work to make extended trips.

Reactions: freedomomelet

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

One thing on my bucket list is to just load up my rig kidnap my wife and take us on a month long journey just about anywhere we point our vehicle. Mostly camping and boondocking wherever we go. Not planning any part of our journey. She doesn't enjoy the sketchy,, scary trails. I would have to make all the off road travel quit tame, it is the kind of trip that we have talked a lot about doing for some time.
I guess that would be my ultimate bucket list trip.

Note; we live in Colorado and have been exploring our state and have been to some places in Utah and Arizona (Grand Canyon).

Last edited:

JStowe2

Rank V

Enthusiast I

First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Stowe
Member #

I loved Death Valley and Bryce Canyon when I went up that way. lots of hiking trails ( if you are into hiking) and way different terrain than I am used to ( I don't live anywhere near deserts).
I would love to take a trip to Alaska, BC, Alberta, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador.
Unfortunately I don't often get the time off of work to make extended trips.
Canada and Alaska would be amazing. Some of the things I’ve seen, researched, and watched make me want to venture north across the boarder. From what little I have seen, it looks vast and stunning.

JStowe2

Rank V

Enthusiast I

First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Stowe
Member #

One thing on my bucket list is to just load up my rig kidnap my wife and take us on a month long journey just about anywhere we point our vehicle. Mostly camping and boondocking wherever we go. Not planning any part of our journey. She doesn't enjoy the sketchy,, scary trails. I would have to make all the off road travel quit tame, it is the kind of trip that we have talked a lot about doing for some time.
I guess that would be my ultimate bucket list trip.

Note; we live in Colorado and have been exploring our state and have been to some places in Utah and Arizona (Grand Canyon).
Love the idea of just venturing forth, taking the wife and seeing where the roads take you. That’s the spirit of overlanding that draws me in. To explore. To experience. To share it with another.

Most of our time in CO has been in the southwest part of the state. We love the Durango, Silverton, Ouray areas. Beautiful country. This year we thought we’d go a little further into some areas not yet previously experienced by us. We’re really laying the groundwork over the next couple years, seeing places we want to revisit for more focused time exploring the area. I’m really excited, and the family is also excited about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trail_pilot

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I would love to see Canada and Alaska, but before we venture out of the country, there is so much to see here in the states. Watch a lot of great videos, but going in person to places like Niagara Falls, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and San Juan's. There isn't a video out that does them like being there in person. I think there is plenty to do before leaving our country. But I wouldn't be as involved in Overlanding if it wasn't for all those videos though.