Overland Bound One Feature Upvote | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Overland Bound One Feature Upvote

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

Dublin, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all,

Overland Bound is community-first. Built by the community, for the community.

This has led to the development of social features, rally point, map features, the OB1 app, the list goes on. To help continue this effort, we are trying out an "upvote" feature, which will allow you to upvote features, or add your own request. Every software platform is a list of trade-offs, and Overland Bound One is no different - so let us know what you need!

We created the app because the needs of our community were not addressed. You have social apps. You have mapping apps. You have planning apps. Our community requires all three with community integrated seamlessly. By doing so you bring the power, support, and knowledge of the community to bear on any situation, and to every feature.

We intend Overland Bound One to be the global standard for our overland community and with your help we will make it so.

Here is the link to the feature upvote page! :Please let me know if you have any questions!

Overland Bound One Feature Upvote

UPDATED LINK: Overland Bound Prodcamp Upvote
Improvements:
  • Added Roadmap
  • Improved Upvote
  • Released Feature List
  • Release notes

Last edited:

cgranier

Rank III
Adventure

Pathfinder II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Voted.

It'd be cool if voting was limited to signed in OB users and limiting the number of votes available to each user. (For example 5 vote points available to regular users and 8 or 10 to members). You can assign as many points as you want (from your total) to any particular feature. This way you get users voting for the things they really want in the app, and not just padding the list of most-popular features.

Reactions: Michael

Laurits

Rank IV
Supporter +

Enthusiast I

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham Callsign
HamHead
So when is OverlandBound going to create a navigation app that runs on a Win10/11 desktop? Android /IOS screens are too small for many people to read and we need larger screens as well as familiar protocols in order to navigate the back country. You might find there are more people out there who would really appreciate a Windows app. I for one amd sick and tired of Android this and IOS that which never really live up to the promise of easy back country navigation. None of them come in 13 inch, or larger, screens.

cgranier

Rank III
Adventure

Pathfinder II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Win11 will allow you to run Android apps (from Amazon's app store), so that may be a short term solution.

So when is OverlandBound going to create a navigation app that runs on a Win10/11 desktop? Android /IOS screens are too small for many people to read and we need larger screens as well as familiar protocols in order to navigate the back country. You might find there are more people out there who would really appreciate a Windows app. I for one amd sick and tired of Android this and IOS that which never really live up to the promise of easy back country navigation. None of them come in 13 inch, or larger, screens.

outside.perception

Rank IV
Adventure

Member III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
OK, we'll see if that works and/or provides the detailed navigation needed to follow a track file. Thanks
That feature has been delayed, but should come at some point for Win11. You can do phone app mirroring with the "Your Phone" app on Windows 10/11 with Android phones which is likely to be similar to the future experience of installing/running the apps in Win11.

It would be interesting to see a web version of the OB1 features similar to how Gaia GPS does it (which is what I use on Windows). Making it into a Progressive Web App may provide some offline capabilities as well (but I'm not familiar enough to be certain).

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Benefactor

Explorer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That feature has been delayed, but should come at some point for Win11. You can do phone app mirroring with the "Your Phone" app on Windows 10/11 with Android phones which is likely to be similar to the future experience of installing/running the apps in Win11.

It would be interesting to see a web version of the OB1 features similar to how Gaia GPS does it (which is what I use on Windows). Making it into a Progressive Web App may provide some offline capabilities as well (but I'm not familiar enough to be certain).
The web base will be updated eventually to mirror the app with extra features to help plan trips.

El-Dracho

Mid Europe Member Rep Germany
Supporter

Pioneer I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
Just went through, upvoted and added suggestions.

This is a great opportunity for members to get involved and express their ideas. So folks, please use this opportunity and participate. Thank you!

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

Dublin, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Developers can’t afford to. The audience is not large enough. You’d never pay for the cost of development. So I guess the answer is, when that market becomes much larger.

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

Dublin, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
OK, we'll see if that works and/or provides the detailed navigation needed to follow a track file. Thanks

We will have web versions

Laurits

Rank IV
Supporter +

Enthusiast I

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham Callsign
HamHead
Hey Michael,
I just signed up to invest in OB. I have some questions however. I understand that SaaS is software running in the cloud and that it will provide OB software for a fee. Will it supplant what OB already has? I'm not sure I understand what it is you're trying to build and how it will work for current members. I read that it will support those members who intend to go environs without any connectivity and that the cloud software will support their travels in the wilds with communications, maps, GPS tracks, etc. The new expedition level is somewhat confusing to me as it seems current members will lose ground to the new class of high spending members. Is there any place I can go read about it?

On another subject, Overlanding/4wheeling which includes a lot of avocations and activities out in the bush. Seems like outdoor recreating is booming and I'm wondering, what with the attention from the auto industry and the overland vehicle equipment industry the outdoors may be in danger of being overrun by millions of people who could literally destroy our outdoor resources. Our national parks may well, like California, have to restrict visitors to parks and federal lands, charge enormous entrance fees, take visitor vacation reservations years out in the future all of which may sour the people jumping into this pastime because there will be no privacy, peace or quiet anywhere to be found. Further, with that kind of recreational volume comes crime and mayhem.

It is inevitable near as I can tell. What impact do you think that will have on Overland Bound?

Last edited:

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

Dublin, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all,

We have updated (improved) our feature upvote page (new link), which now also has a public roadmap and release tracking:

UPDATED LINK: Overland Bound Prodcamp Upvote

Improvements:
  • Added Roadmap
  • Improved Upvote
  • Released Feature List
  • Release notes

Reactions: El-Dracho

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

Dublin, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey Michael,
I just signed up to invest in OB. I have some questions however. I understand that SaaS is software running in the cloud and that it will provide OB software for a fee. Will it supplant what OB already has? I'm not sure I understand what it is you're trying to build and how it will work for current members. I read that it will support those members who intend to go environs without any connectivity and that the cloud software will support their travels in the wilds with communications, maps, GPS tracks, etc. The new expedition level is somewhat confusing to me as it seems current members will lose ground to the new class of high spending members. Is there any place I can go read about it?

On another subject, Overlanding/4wheeling which includes a lot of avocations and activities out in the bush. Seems like outdoor recreating is booming and I'm wondering, what with the attention from the auto industry and the overland vehicle equipment industry the outdoors may be in danger of being overrun by millions of people who could literally destroy our outdoor resources. Our national parks may well, like California, have to restrict visitors to parks and federal lands, charge enormous entrance fees, take visitor vacation reservations years out in the future all of which may sour the people jumping into this pastime because there will be no privacy, peace or quiet anywhere to be found. Further, with that kind of recreational volume comes crime and mayhem.

It is inevitable near as I can tell. What impact do you think that will have on Overland Bound?
First of all - thank you so much! It is very much appreciated!

Existing members will not lose anything - everything being build is additional functionality to what already have, and does not currently exist. Also - there is no good solution out there currently combining Community, Planning, Mapping and Navigation.

Second - our goal is to educate and disperse the population, which requires back country exploration. The one of the problems with Popular National Parks is that everyone goes there. We have partnered with the US Forest Service and work with them closely - that is the problem. There is plenty of land to explore. Everyone goes to a few places - yes, if you go Friday-Sunday, at popular destinations, you will run into this - we need to disburse. You cannot, and should not think you can discourage or hide epic destinations. 1. Is their land (public lands), not your land. 2. It's impossible. Population increasing and technology. They key is to educate and disperse - and our vehicle for doing that is our software platform. he more people wee can reach - the more we can educate.

Thank you Laurits !

M