Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I treated myself to another cache on the way into work this morning. Unfortunately it was too small to drop off some of the Trackables we have in our possession. We picked up 13 Trackables on our Iceland trip last month and I still need to find a home for 8 remainders.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Well yeah, that's only fair and logical. The premise is that with a lot of people, we could have a good size "prize", be it money, or gear, etc and nobody would be out more than a few bucks. It would be like a raffle, say only 1000 people are interested, they can each put in $5 and that would be a $5000 prize minus some of that to compensate whoever is spending time and gas hiding it. Something along that line...I just thought it would be motivational for people and a fun way to get out and explore and better our knowledge by figuring out clues and honing navigational skills. Plus a little friendly competition is always fun. I'd certainly try it at least once. It would be nice to have it international, but probably not practical for most.
grubworm,
Don’t you think this would work with our Members overseas also? Have each OB regional moderator or ambassador, receive the Geocaching prize, and handle the the details for their areas or country? In the end, we would have Member Geocaching winners all over this Planet! Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I have not tried any of the the Geocaching searches yet. Any links for a noob like me to learn how to start and do Geocaching? Sounds like a fun adventure while out on my travels. Vance.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
grubworm,
Don’t you think this would work with our Members overseas also? Have each OB regional moderator or ambassador, receive the Geocaching prize, and handle the the details for their areas or country? In the end, we would have Member Geocaching winners all over this Planet! Vance.
Yes, I definitely think that would work, especially with regional moderators handling it. The moderators can all get together on the forum and post the results for their region. That would certainly help bring us all closer together.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I have not tried any of the the Geocaching searches yet. Any links for a noob like me to learn how to start and do Geocaching? Sounds like a fun adventure while out on my travels. Vance.
I, as probably quite a few others use Geocaching.com. There is an option of usingtheir website or their app. Geocaching.com told methemselves that their website is designed for the planning aspect of Geocaching and their app is designed for "out in the field" purposes. there are pros and cons for both methods. you don't need a specific GPS (however in my opinion it helps for accuracy). A mobile or cellphone with GPS capability does the job.

We tend to bias our travels to areas where there are more geocaches to find. ,Our last trip to Iceland allowed us to find quite a number to add to our list of finds.

We found that the info posted on the website for each geocache often teaches of the history of the location you're at or other interesting fact, so all in all it is educational too.

I hope this helps

Trail Runner Bowser

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Jacksonville, NC, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Bowers
Member #

I just got the Challange Coins, with my member number, and I have this idea to create a Geocache with location clues in the Overland Bound Forums. This would enable other OB members to go on a little treasure hunt. I will include a Challenge Coin and instructions on how to contact me via the Overland Bound Forum. It will also have a suggestion to move the cache to a new location and switch my Challenge Coin with one of your own, or maybe a custom Overland Bound sticker. I think it would be cool to watch the cache get moved around via the forums and to go look for someone else's cache.

OVERLAND BOUND ADMIN REQUEST: @Michael
It would be great if the Store had a custom geocache container with the logo and forum web information so when it is found people will know how to make contact with the group. It would be even better if each cache had an identification number (maybe a member number) so it could be tracked.

I should be dropping my first cache sometime this week on the NMBDR (New Mexico BDR). I'll start the treasure hunt in one of the forum pages, so if you are interested in hunting for it, keep a watch out for details.

Matt L.
I love this idea.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I just got the Challange Coins, with my member number, and I have this idea to create a Geocache with location clues in the Overland Bound Forums. This would enable other OB members to go on a little treasure hunt. I will include a Challenge Coin and instructions on how to contact me via the Overland Bound Forum. It will also have a suggestion to move the cache to a new location and switch my Challenge Coin with one of your own, or maybe a custom Overland Bound sticker. I think it would be cool to watch the cache get moved around via the forums and to go look for someone else's cache.

OVERLAND BOUND ADMIN REQUEST: @Michael
It would be great if the Store had a custom geocache container with the logo and forum web information so when it is found people will know how to make contact with the group. It would be even better if each cache had an identification number (maybe a member number) so it could be tracked.

I should be dropping my first cache sometime this week on the NMBDR (New Mexico BDR). I'll start the treasure hunt in one of the forum pages, so if you are interested in hunting for it, keep a watch out for details.

Matt L.
Hi Matt, any links to the type of product you are thinking of? Cheers!

M

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

View attachment 113106View attachment 113107 Here are some ideas that could be used. Everything I find on it seems to just be a labeled sticker that can apply to any container.
I'm not sure if you are aware of other containers but some of them can be quite sneaky. Some of them include snail shells., artificial rocks, hollow pine cones, hollow nut and bolt combo.

I love finding the more Imaginitive caches.

Reactions: Trail Runner Bowser

Qaz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Qaz
Last Name
Mon
Member #

I would highly suggest finding a few before you look into placing a cache. Then you can see what kind of containers do not do well in the exposed world. I use my 3d printer to make some caches in ABS so I know they will hold up in the Colorado weather.

Reactions: Viking Justice

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Also keep in mind the reality that caches get found at random by observant folks who are just out hiking and such.

I have never gone looking for any geocaches but I have found a number of them. I just sign in with my ham call sign.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I would love to see a special regional one set up for a special trophy award, you find it, sign in and all and send a PM here with the code and you get a trophy award, not a huge thing but it makes it fun and for the regions (each region can set their own up, all over the world), it gives an incentive to find that one particular one and if traveling you cand find other regional ones and get their award......

Just a thought.

Also there is a thing I used to do in Europe called Stamping, same idea but you also have a custom stamp and ink pad that you would stamp an image in your "stamp passport", there was people with volumes of these things.....

Jim

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

Hi Matt, any links to the type of product you are thinking of? Cheers!

M
Michael,
Sorry I am just getting back to you on this but it looks like several members have jumped in to help. A simple box with a weather-resistant sticker or etched logo would be great, as long as it will stay closed. I will probably buy some Overland Bound stickers and put them on an Altoids Mints tin box. That is what I used in the past. I use a plastic sandwich bag inside and duct tape to close it.

I just thought it would be cool to have the Overland Bound logo so other members would recognize it and members would be encouraged to search during adventures.

Reactions: Aussie571