Overland Bound Geocache General Discussion

• HTML tutorial

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

I just got the Challange Coins, with my member number, and I have this idea to create a Geocache with location clues in the Overland Bound Forums. This would enable other OB members to go on a little treasure hunt. I will include a Challenge Coin and instructions on how to contact me via the Overland Bound Forum. It will also have a suggestion to move the cache to a new location and switch my Challenge Coin with one of your own, or maybe a custom Overland Bound sticker. I think it would be cool to watch the cache get moved around via the forums and to go look for someone else's cache.

OVERLAND BOUND ADMIN REQUEST: @Michael
It would be great if the Store had a custom geocache container with the logo and forum web information so when it is found people will know how to make contact with the group. It would be even better if each cache had an identification number (maybe a member number) so it could be tracked.

I should be dropping my first cache sometime this week on the NMBDR (New Mexico BDR). I'll start the treasure hunt in one of the forum pages, so if you are interested in hunting for it, keep a watch out for details.

Matt L.

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

I dropped my Overland Bound geocache last weekend outside Ruidoso on the NMBDR. I’ll upload information on its location soon.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
We ought to make it more interesting....roughly 17,000+ members on here, each member chips in $1 and a designated person geocaches a cashiers check in a mason jar somewhere in the US and gives one clue a day until its found.
Rather than CASH, which could create it's own set of problems, I think some CUSTOM SWAG, or tee shirts, or sweatshirts, or camp gear would be better. Maybe a special redeemable coupon to the OB store. This would also keep it in house and more manageable in cost.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

We ought to make it more interesting....roughly 17,000+ members on here, each member chips in $1 and a designated person geocaches a cashiers check in a mason jar somewhere in the US and gives one clue a day until its found.
I asume that you only want the US members to donate as you suggest it should be hidden in the US

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I would totally get on board with this. We used to hunt for caches when out boys were young. Was a bunch of fun.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I asume that you only want the US members to donate as you suggest it should be hidden in the US
Well yeah, that's only fair and logical. The premise is that with a lot of people, we could have a good size "prize", be it money, or gear, etc and nobody would be out more than a few bucks. It would be like a raffle, say only 1000 people are interested, they can each put in $5 and that would be a $5000 prize minus some of that to compensate whoever is spending time and gas hiding it. Something along that line...I just thought it would be motivational for people and a fun way to get out and explore and better our knowledge by figuring out clues and honing navigational skills. Plus a little friendly competition is always fun. I'd certainly try it at least once. It would be nice to have it international, but probably not practical for most.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt L.

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

Well yeah, that's only fair and logical. The premise is that with a lot of people, we could have a good size "prize", be it money, or gear, etc and nobody would be out more than a few bucks. It would be like a raffle, say only 1000 people are interested, they can each put in $5 and that would be a $5000 prize minus some of that to compensate whoever is spending time and gas hiding it. Something along that line...I just thought it would be motivational for people and a fun way to get out and explore and better our knowledge by figuring out clues and honing navigational skills. Plus a little friendly competition is always fun. I'd certainly try it at least once. It would be nice to have it international, but probably not practical for most.
I like where this is going. Might be cool to use a portion to benefit a charity. Something for our veterans maybe. (Yes, I know that could leave some of our members out.) That could get more people involved. Maybe a once a year fundraiser? Just brainstorming a little.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I like where this is going. Might be cool to use a portion to benefit a charity. Something for our veterans maybe. (Yes, I know that could leave some of our members out.) That could get more people involved. Maybe a once a year fundraiser? Just brainstorming a little.
As a family, we found a few dozen geocaches. Much of the fun was seeing the little treasures that others left. So many times the find was a cool waterfall or a spectacular view. Honestly, I think that is more valuable then any monetary treasure. Just my .02 cents.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Yeah, this could be a fun thing and you just stepped it up a notch by making it beneficial to more people than just the one who finds it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeliSniper

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

As a family, we found a few dozen geocaches. Much of the fun was seeing the little treasures that others left. So many times the find was a cool waterfall or a spectacular view. Honestly, I think that is more valuable then any monetary treasure. Just my .02 cents.
That's the purpose of Geocaching. To take people out to see places of interest is what it's about. I'm not sure Geocaching encourages financial gain as part of their ethics. My belief is that if word got out that money was being hidden in caches, then more and more would be "muggled" (Geocaching term)

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Being offroad orientated, the Pirates...smirk, wink wink, would be left to ,easy places, easily accessed. By keeping it SWAG directed, the interest would be limited to OB forum members for the most part. The cash idea while attention getting, would just bring in those who would likely abscond with a tax free bonus. Yes...I'm jaded......

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I mentioned a coupon for the OB store. That coupon could be a custom...NUMBERED patch or hat or shirt with your OB number. The cost would be less than the store price, so again it would be a managed expense.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Being offroad orientated, the Pirates...smirk, wink wink, would be left to ,easy places, easily accessed. By keeping it SWAG directed, the interest would be limited to OB forum members for the most part. The cash idea while attention getting, would just bring in those who would likely abscond with a tax free bonus. Yes...I'm jaded......
I agree completely. I still to this day have a Geocache coin that I traded for in a ammo can cache. If it were cash, it would have been gone and forgotten.