Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

I dropped my Overland Bound geocache last weekend outside Ruidoso on the NMBDR. I’ll upload information on its location soon.
I've been caching since 2009 and just want to know if this is a Traditional geocache or if not, what kind is it? We've just joined OB and I geocache all over the world.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

I've been caching since 2009 and just want to know if this is a Traditional geocache or if not, what kind is it? We've just joined OB and I geocache all over the world.
I would say it is traditional but I am not completely sure what that means. I don't do this a lot. In fact, this is the first one I have ever created. In the past, I only located them and signed the log. Also, it appears the link to the description of the one I created is not working. I will have to recreate it I think.

Reactions: Shamu

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

I would say it is traditional but I am not completely sure what that means. I don't do this a lot. In fact, this is the first one I have ever created. In the past, I only located them and signed the log. Also, it appears the link to the description of the one I created is not working. I will have to recreate it I think.
Sorry but being a newbie here, I couldn't find Overlanding Related Activities to see the info you posted.

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

@Michael ,The clear container pictured here by Trail Runner Bowser is what I was thinking. - Matt L.
You guys are all have the right ideas. They need to be weather proof and animal proof and not just the cheap plastic food containers. Are these "geocaches" just for Overland Bound members or geocachers in whole? Are they registered geocaches on geocaching.com or just coordinates that get put on Overland Bound? I've been caching world wide since 2009 and have found over 8700 true geocaches. Just a lot of questions but that's because we're new to OB and just trying to get caught up to date.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
I would totally be up for something like this in the South East. I've never GeoCached but I think it would be pretty fun and adventurous to do with my kids. Are there actual current GeoCaches out there and what does one do to find out these sites or geocaches to participate in the hunts

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

I would totally be up for something like this in the South East. I've never GeoCached but I think it would be pretty fun and adventurous to do with my kids. Are there actual current GeoCaches out there and what does one do to find out these sites or geocaches to participate in the hunts
Check out geocaching.com. It tells you everything you need to know about caching. Once you find a few, you'll be hooked. I started back in 2009 and haven't looked back. BTW I'm Matt's wife. He doesn't cache.

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

You guys are all have the right ideas. They need to be weather proof and animal proof and not just the cheap plastic food containers. Are these "geocaches" just for Overland Bound members or geocachers in whole? Are they registered geocaches on geocaching.com or just coordinates that get put on Overland Bound? I've been caching world wide since 2009 and have found over 8700 true geocaches. Just a lot of questions but that's because we're new to OB and just trying to get caught up to date.
We are currently thinking the Overland Bound Goecache idea through. I am not an admin so the final "rules" are not up to me.

The cache I dropped in New Mexico is not registered and has an Overland Bound Adventure Coin in it as a treasure, along with the info about Overland Bound and my member # so I can be located when it is found. I had a thread with a full description but the link is not working, so I may have to redo it so it can be found.

Reactions: Corrie and Shamu

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

The link to the cache I dropped on the New Mexico BDR is not working. I'll have to redo the link so it can be found. Others on Overland Bound do geocacheing but the posts are a little scattered in the forum. There is some info in the "Overland Related Recreation" forums.

Overlanding Related Recreation Link

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

We are currently thinking the Overland Bound Goecache idea through. I am not an admin so the final "rules" are not up to me.

The cache I dropped in New Mexico is not registered and has an Overland Bound Adventure Coin in it as a treasure, along with the info about Overland Bound and my member # so I can be located when it is found. I had a thread with a full description but the link is not working, so I may have to redo it so it can be found.
Yes, recreate your thread

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Check out geocaching.com. It tells you everything you need to know about caching. Once you find a few, you'll be hooked. I started back in 2009 and haven't looked back. BTW I'm Matt's wife. He doesn't cache.
Ahhhhhhh! Gayle I downloaded it and there's one literally within hiking distance of our house!!!! This calls for an early evening expedition I believe.....Pics to follow if I find it! (Feeling like a little kid about to go hunting for Willie Wonka's Factory)

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

Ahhhhhhh! Gayle I downloaded it and there's one literally within hiking distance of our house!!!! This calls for an early evening expedition I believe.....Pics to follow if I find it! (Feeling like a little kid about to go hunting for Willie Wonka's Factory)
There's two within 100 yards within our house! So funny!

Reactions: Corrie

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I just made a new forum for GEOs and will edit this thread as I can, I will move post listing locations of OB Geocaches (not regulare ones, and I will do the same for found GEOs (OB only.

There are forums for OB Geocaches, those are for OB only, if non OB, can post away here all you want ot start new thread, all good.

Jim

Reactions: Trail Runner Bowser

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I just made a new forum for GEOs and will edit this thread as I can, I will move post listing locations of OB Geocaches (not regulare ones, and I will do the same for found GEOs (OB only.

There are forums for OB Geocaches, those are for OB only, if non OB, can post away here all you want ot start new thread, all good.

Jim
I noticed that when the post was moved. Sorry didn’t know it was a OB cache only thread til after you mentioned it. You start reading the thread and forget exactly where it’s at and just go with the convo you know what I mean.....where do we find OB cache searches or cords to locate them on the trails?

Reactions: Nanuka

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I noticed that when the post was moved. Sorry didn’t know it was a OB cache only thread til after you mentioned it. You start reading the thread and forget exactly where it’s at and just go with the convo you know what I mean.....where do we find OB cache searches or cords to locate them on the trails?
The thing is called OB Geocache but there is a thread for non-OB geocaches and there is a couple for OB specific caches. For looking for the caches, they will be listed in the "Hidden" thread, and that is where once one is hidden, we post announcing it, there is a sample posting to go by. Right now I think there is only 1 OB specific cache and it is not listed yet but will be shortly. We need more for sure.
This is a baby, just starting out, I made the section due to so many saying they are going to start doing geocaching.

Jim