Overland Bound Geocache

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI

Advocate II

Plymstock, Plymouth. UK
Member #

I treated myself to another cache on the way into work this morning. Unfortunately it was too small to drop off some of the Trackables we have in our possession. We picked up 13 Trackables on our Iceland trip last month and I still need to find a home for 8 remainders.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI

Traveler I

Chelan, WA.
Member #

Well yeah, that's only fair and logical. The premise is that with a lot of people, we could have a good size "prize", be it money, or gear, etc and nobody would be out more than a few bucks. It would be like a raffle, say only 1000 people are interested, they can each put in $5 and that would be a $5000 prize minus some of that to compensate whoever is spending time and gas hiding it. Something along that line...I just thought it would be motivational for people and a fun way to get out and explore and better our knowledge by figuring out clues and honing navigational skills. Plus a little friendly competition is always fun. I'd certainly try it at least once. It would be nice to have it international, but probably not practical for most.
grubworm,
Don’t you think this would work with our Members overseas also? Have each OB regional moderator or ambassador, receive the Geocaching prize, and handle the the details for their areas or country? In the end, we would have Member Geocaching winners all over this Planet! Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI

Traveler I

Chelan, WA.
Member #

I have not tried any of the the Geocaching searches yet. Any links for a noob like me to learn how to start and do Geocaching? Sounds like a fun adventure while out on my travels. Vance.

grubworm

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Louisiana, USA
Member #

grubworm,
Don’t you think this would work with our Members overseas also? Have each OB regional moderator or ambassador, receive the Geocaching prize, and handle the the details for their areas or country? In the end, we would have Member Geocaching winners all over this Planet! Vance.
Yes, I definitely think that would work, especially with regional moderators handling it. The moderators can all get together on the forum and post the results for their region. That would certainly help bring us all closer together.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI

Advocate II

Plymstock, Plymouth. UK
Member #

I have not tried any of the the Geocaching searches yet. Any links for a noob like me to learn how to start and do Geocaching? Sounds like a fun adventure while out on my travels. Vance.
I, as probably quite a few others use Geocaching.com. There is an option of usingtheir website or their app. Geocaching.com told methemselves that their website is designed for the planning aspect of Geocaching and their app is designed for "out in the field" purposes. there are pros and cons for both methods. you don't need a specific GPS (however in my opinion it helps for accuracy). A mobile or cellphone with GPS capability does the job.

We tend to bias our travels to areas where there are more geocaches to find. ,Our last trip to Iceland allowed us to find quite a number to add to our list of finds.

We found that the info posted on the website for each geocache often teaches of the history of the location you're at or other interesting fact, so all in all it is educational too.

I hope this helps

Reactions: 4wheelspulling