Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Well here we are! I guess I never felt like the size of the job ever warranted a build thread, but when you blow up an engine and have to make decisions about what to do next - I feel it is at the build-thread worthy level. So, without a lot of words - this is what I decided to do:

So now the build begins. @Cam_Cam_Tech still needs to remove the head and see if it is rebuild-able - then we start the assembly. It was a thing of beauty this AM. Here are a few more pics:

I'll keep each new post media rich...a picture is worth 1000 words.

Cheers!

M

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Well here we are! I guess I never felt like the size of the job ever warranted a build thread, but when you blow up an engine and have to make decisions about what to do next - I feel it is at the build-thread worthy level. So, without a lot of words - this is what I decided to do:

So now the build begins. @Cam_Cam_Tech still needs to remove the head and see if it is rebuild-able - then we start the assembly. It was a thing of beauty this AM. Here are a few more pics:

View attachment 96187

View attachment 96186

View attachment 96188

Cheers!

M
It's so shiny and new.....very nice start.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA

View attachment 96187

View attachment 96186

View attachment 96188

Cheers!

M
So thankful for people like Jesse. They're heroes and all around good people. Can't wait for the rig to be fixed up and back on the road with the newer, stronger heart.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Thanks for posting this story, can't wait to see the results from checking out the condition of the head.

Reactions: Michael

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Michael hi,

I am curious how many miles the engine had when it failed, and did you ever find out the reason for it to fail?

I blew the head gasket after 230K miles on our 1993 80 series, and decided to transplant a diesel in it (1HDFT/H151). Cost was $9K for the drivetrain and another $10K in parts and engine/transfer labor to make it 'new'. I also converted it to part time with AISIN hub locks. It gets now 21-26 mpg and NO SMOG.

Cheers

--ofer

azngarage

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Garden Grove, CA, USA
First Name
TUAN
Last Name
PHI
Member #

Michael hi,

I am curious how many miles the engine had when it failed, and did you ever find out the reason for it to fail?

I blew the head gasket after 230K miles on our 1993 80 series, and decided to transplant a diesel in it (1HDFT/H151). Cost was $9K for the drivetrain and another $10K in parts and engine/transfer labor to make it 'new'. I also converted it to part time with AISIN hub locks. It gets now 21-26 mpg and NO SMOG.

Cheers

--ofer
Hi
Im thinking of going diesel. How did it bar from smog check.
Phi

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

Michael hi,

Cheers

--ofer
I’m thinking he said in one of the videos the engine had 240,000 on it.

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Hi
Im thinking of going diesel. How did it bar from smog check.
Phi
Registration was easy. I went to the DMV and they inspected it, told me to go to window #4 and they issues a temp pink slip. Two weeks later I got in the mail a new pink slip that said 'D' on it. I think it really depends what county you try to do this. Some are more strict then others and may send you to a referee station. At that point you hit a brick wall.
I wrote a blog on this forum, and have link to the pics of the build...

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
There is a shop in Stockton called Valley Hybrids. Georg is the owner and all he does is LC diesel conversions. They do wonderful work, but you may have to wait in line. They can give you tips on the conversion.

azngarage

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Garden Grove, CA, USA
First Name
TUAN
Last Name
PHI
Member #

There is a shop in Stockton called Valley Hybrids. Georg is the owner and all he does is LC diesel conversions. They do wonderful work, but you may have to wait in line. They can give you tips on the conversion.
Registration was easy. I went to the DMV and they inspected it, told me to go to window #4 and they issues a temp pink slip. Two weeks later I got in the mail a new pink slip that said 'D' on it. I think it really depends what county you try to do this. Some are more strict then others and may send you to a referee station. At that point you hit a brick wall.
I wrote a blog on this forum, and have link to the pics of the build...
That is a nice 80. How much does it cost for the whole built

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Cost is listed in the blog I wrote on this forum. More then 1/2 was the engine/drivetrain.