Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

I’m gonna build my crosstrek as my overland vehicle. I’ve already got tires and skid plates and plan on a 2” lift to get it to 11” of clearance. My question is what else should be done to outfit it. What area should I focus on more. The kinda overlanding I’ll be doing is year round camping in areas far away from home. Getting out and exploring kinda stuff. I live in Washington so if I could be pointed in the right direction for this build vs a build on a truck. That would be awesome!!

Last edited:

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Welcome to the Subaru Family.
I have an Outback but use it very similar to your uses, I have a build thread you can view in my signature. I am building mine slowly as I find I need items. I have mine lifted with an ADF 2" lift and King Springs. Full size spare on a Wilco tire carrier and roof rack are the major items at this time. I use boxes to handle all the camping gear and they go inside or on the roof rack. No skid plates yet but I am getting close to thinking I need them. There are several build threads from people here and a lot of good ideas. Any questions just ask, I can not give specifics for the CT as I have an Outback but sharing ideas will help us all.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Welcome! The list of wants and needs is always ridiculously long haha. Like Terry I have an Outback but one thing I’d recommend that applies to all of us is weight. Save it wherever you can. Sometimes it’ll cost you a little more but it’ll be worth it because the pounds add up quick and none of us have a dual range transmission. Feel free to check in with other Subaru members here https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/subaru-owners-registry.3450/. There are a quite a few Subaru members and you’re far from the only Crosstrek. Plenty of us have build threads like Terry said so don’t be afraid to ask questions.

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
I cannot make a recommendation specific to your crosstrek, but tires are always the best bang for your buck. They have the biggest impact on how the vehicle starts, stops and steers on road and off. I good AT tire will go a long way. The BFG KO2 and Cooper AT3 are both great options.

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Thi
Welcome! The list of wants and needs is always ridiculously long haha. Like Terry I have an Outback but one thing I’d recommend that applies to all of us is weight. Save it wherever you can. Sometimes it’ll cost you a little more but it’ll be worth it because the pounds add up quick and none of us have a dual range transmission. Feel free to check in with other Subaru members here https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/subaru-owners-registry.3450/. There are a quite a few Subaru members and you’re far from the only Crosstrek. Plenty of us have build threads like Terry said so don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Thanks a ton. This gives me a lot of confidence making an overland rig out of a Subaru

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

I cannot make a recommendation specific to your crosstrek, but tires are always the best bang for your buck. They have the biggest impact on how the vehicle starts, stops and steers on road and off. I good AT tire will go a long way. The BFG KO2 and Cooper AT3 are both great options.
I picked up general grabbers a week or 2 after I Ickes up the car.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Jeremy M.

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

What I’m running into is I need to put camping gear in there as well. When I got rid of my truck I got rid of my tent. Truck bed tent. It’s so overwhelming with how many tents are on the market. I want a good quality one that’ll stand up to the rain if Washington but not one that’s so expensive that I can’t afford to go out and use it ya know?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
What I’m running into is I need to put camping gear in there as well. When I got rid of my truck I got rid of my tent. Truck bed tent. It’s so overwhelming with how many tents are on the market. I want a good quality one that’ll stand up to the rain if Washington but not one that’s so expensive that I can’t afford to go out and use it ya know
I considered a Crosstrek once so i know space is at a premium but gosh darn it.. don’t you just hate it when you have choices?! Haha.

Have you entertained the idea of a roof rack/basket to help alleviate space concerns?

Reactions: cody92595

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

I considered a Crosstrek once so i know space is at a premium but gosh darn it.. don’t you just hate it when you have choices?! Haha.

Have you entertained the idea of a roof rack/basket to help alleviate space concerns?
I hate choices lol. I want one for this condition or one for this condition. Not 200 for those conditions. And 500 for that condition lol. A roof rack is on the list and that another one I’m not sure about splurging I’m just going and getting a Cabela’s basket for $150 or save for a platform.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Just like WAWA I bought the Outback for it's inside storage and I can sleep inside if needed. I have BFG AT KO2's and I love them. Worked real good up here in TiIlammok NF on Monday on some Blue trails. Never got stuck once, lost traction a few times on roots but it pulled right up on the second attempt.
Just get your camping gear together and try it a few times and see what you need. My pocket book isn't that big to just buy what I want.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Just like WAWA I bought the Outback for it's inside storage and I can sleep inside if needed. I have BFG AT KO2's and I love them. Worked real good up here in TiIlammok NF on Monday on some Blue trails. Never got stuck once, lost traction a few times on roots but it pulled right up on the second attempt.
Just get your camping gear together and try it a few times and see what you need. My pocket book isn't that big to just buy what I want.
Same here. I had a bad spending problem with my truck and have limited my self to $150 a paycheck into an acct just for car and camping stuff. But I gotta figure out what tent I want first haha.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I hate choices lol. I want one for this condition or one for this condition. Not 200 for those conditions. And 500 for that condition lol. A roof rack is on the list and that another one I’m not sure about splurging I’m just going and getting a Cabela’s basket for $150 or save for a platform
Keep an eye on Craigslist for any number of things. There’s no reason to go broke over gear and there’s typically a lot of lightly used options available on there. Lots of ‘I think I like the outdoors’ types who got caught in the rain once haha. I found my Load Warrior for 1/2 price on there for example.

As far as tents go all we can do is make recommendations based on our own experiences just like Jeremy did. Like him I prefer ground tents for a few reasons. You already know that finding everything you want in 1 tent is impossible so it’s all about making small concessions. I don’t know how large of a tent you need but I really like my Browning (made by Alps Mountaineering) Glacier. It’s definitely a ‘car camping’ tent because it’s no featherweight and it doesn’t go up in 30 seconds like I wish it did but it’s been a great tent. It’s listed as 3 season tent but I’ve had it in all 4. The fly design works great in the cold, high wind, and rain. I’ve stayed dry in it during multi day downpour stints and conditions like that help you appreciate straighter walls.

http://www.browningcamping.com/products/tents/glacier-6-feet

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Keep an eye on Craigslist for any number of things. There’s no reason to go broke over gear and there’s typically a lot of lightly used options available on there. Lots of ‘I think I like the outdoors’ types who got caught in the rain once haha. I found my Load Warrior for 1/2 price on there for example.

As far as tents go all we can do is make recommendations based on our own experiences just like Jeremy did. Like him I prefer ground tents for a few reasons. You already know that finding everything you want in 1 tent is impossible so it’s all about making small concessions. I don’t know how large of a tent you need but I really like my Browning (made by Alps Mountaineering) Glacier. It’s definitely a ‘car camping’ tent because it’s no featherweight and it doesn’t go up in 30 seconds like I wish it did but it’s been a great tent. It’s listed as 3 season tent but I’ve had it in all 4. The fly design works great in the cold, high wind, and rain. I’ve stayed dry in it during multi day downpour stints and conditions like that help you appreciate straighter walls.

Awesome thank you.

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

What are the pros of a straight wall tent vs others?

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
What are the pros of a straight wall tent vs others?
First and foremost it’s living space. In dry conditions it’s just nice having additional room because the tent doesn’t pitch in immediately starting at the ground. Essentially it’s more room to stand/sit up. If it’s wet or you end up with condensation build up you’re also less likely to touch the sides because they go straight up. The benefit continues to exist if you’re out in the snow because as it piles up it doesn’t weigh against the sides as badly.

I’ve had a number of tents over the years and the Glacier is far and away the best tent I’ve owned. At $307 on Amazon it’s definitely not cheap but it’s still cheaper than some options.

014CC268-1BD5-4694-B889-1FA80F991855.jpeg 14C427AD-3046-440B-8E6D-A85CE09111E9.jpeg

Reactions: outwardbound