Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Not sure what you use, but this is what we use. Don't know that I'll ever find anything better. I did a full review of the chairs and tables here: Best Camping Chairs and Tables for Overlanding.

Super lightweight, compact and made of ridiculously strong material. We're on our 6th year of fulltime travel and these chairs have never let us down.

Have you tried Helinox? If not, what chairs and tables do you use?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Not sure what you use, but this is what we use. Don't know that I'll ever find anything better. I did a full review of the chairs and tables here: Best Camping Chairs and Tables for Overlanding.

Super lightweight, compact and made of ridiculously strong material. We're on our 6th year of fulltime travel and these chairs have never let us down.

Have you tried Helinox? If not, what chairs and tables do you use?

Those look cool; didn't know Helinox made some with a headrest sleeve.

I have some similarly constructed chairs, though not Helinox and with a shorter back, but don't like how low they are or that I have a hard time getting in and out of them. They pack up small, though, so keep two with me for unexpected company that don't bring their own chairs.

Over the years I've found that the Front Runner Outfitter Chairs work best for me. They are easy to use, easy to fold back up, and stow away the size and thickness of a pizza box. What I like most about them is that they are conventional seating height and I can use them at my galley counter, folding table, any card table, end of a picnic table, etc. Very comfortable, too, for sitting at a meal, lounging around reading, or at the campfire.

The table is a folding aluminum deal that used to be sold at Wal-Mart for around thirty bucks. I've had it for many years. They sell a similar one now but it is nowhere near as robust in construction. I'd like to get another one but won't buy that one. Someone said REI has them, but are wicked expensive.

basecamp_0335-full-900.jpg

chairs-n-fieldblnkts-2132-900.jpg

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Those look cool; didn't know Helinox made some with a headrest sleeve.

I have some similarly constructed chairs, though not Helinox and with a shorter back, but don't like how low they are or that I have a hard time getting in and out of them. They pack up small, though, so keep two with me for unexpected company that don't bring their own chairs.

Over the years I've found that the Front Runner Outfitter Chairs work best for me. They are easy to use, easy to fold back up, and stow away the size and thickness of a pizza box. What I like most about them is that they are conventional seating height and I can use them at my galley counter, folding table, any card table, end of a picnic table, etc. Very comfortable, too, for sitting at a meal, lounging around reading, or at the campfire.

The table is a folding aluminum deal that used to be sold at Wal-Mart for around thirty bucks. I've had it for many years. They sell a similar one now but it is nowhere near as robust in construction. I'd like to get another one but won't buy that one. Someone said REI has them, but are wicked expensive.
We use that same little (I think it is Magellan) folding table which we picked up at Academy Sports. We like it, but the foot print for those of us in the Jeep life that can carry absolutely nothing anywhere is pretty big. But we have to confess we use that cheap little aluminum table all the time and love it.

Yeah, we first saw the Helinox high back Savanna chairs at Expo East last year, and picked up two of them immediately. We're on our 6th year of fulltime travel, so for us these are our "only" chairs aka we don't have a house anywhere with chairs. So we don't mind ponying up for the expense. But these are great. If you get a chance to sit in one and check it out, I think you'll be convinced. They ain't cheap though!

Brittany-Caspian-Helinox.jpg

Helinox-Savanna.jpg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

We use that same little (I think it is Magellan) folding table which we picked up at Academy Sports. We like it, but the foot print for those of us in the Jeep life that can carry absolutely nothing anywhere is pretty big. But we have to confess we use that cheap little aluminum table all the time and love it.

Yeah, we first saw the Helinox high back Savanna chairs at Expo East last year, and picked up two of them immediately. We're on our 6th year of fulltime travel, so for us these are our "only" chairs aka we don't have a house anywhere with chairs. So we don't mind ponying up for the expense. But these are great. If you get a chance to sit in one and check it out, I think you'll be convinced. They ain't cheap though!
I know you're partnered with them so push their product, but I'm fine with what I have, seriously. I'm full-time too with my van and trailer and have no house or apartment, though if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to use my table and chairs in a house, they're that comfortable and easy to use. The table (mine is not marked Magellan and is a bit more stoutly constructed than those I've seen at Academy etc, whose plastic ends keep falling out) takes up no room at all folded, and along with the two chairs in their covers are like a three stack of pizza boxes. I often stow them all right in the rooftop tent while underway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I know you're partnered with them so push their product, but I'm fine with what I have, seriously. I'm full-time too with my van and trailer and have no house or apartment, though if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to use my table and chairs in a house, they're that comfortable and easy to use. The table takes up no room at all folded, and along with the two chairs in their covers are like a three stack of pizza boxes. I often stow them all right in the rooftop tent while underway.
Cool. I didn't know you were fulltime too. Glad you are good with what you have.

As far as "pushing their product," yes, they are our gear sponsor, but that's new to us. We were fans and buyers of their equipment before they knew we existed. (I put that in the article.) Legally we have to disclose that we're sponsored by them. So I also had to include that in the article. But even when we weren't sponsored by them, we told everyone who asked how much we really loved Helinox. So there's that.

At the end of the day I'm glad you like your setup. I'm good with whatever people like to use. We've camped with people that don't use any chairs and use a blanket on the ground, or a stump if they can find one. We're not that hardcore lol.

We just get asked a ton about our chairs wherever we go, and because we do, it is easier to just have somewhere to point them to. I have friends who swear by the Eno Lounger chair, and others who just like their little "throw away" chair they got at Target. The beauty of this lifestyle is that everyone can choose do it their own way.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

The Helinox Savanna chair looks very interesting. I will have to drop by REI and give it a go. I have tried the Helinox Chair One though. It wasn't for me. I found REI's Flexlite Macro fit me better. If I am tight on space it is the chair that goes with me. If not I throw a bigger folding chair in so I have arms.

I have been thinking about getting an ARB BP-51 Compact Director Chair. I haven't found anywhere that has them in stock to try first though. https://www.arbusa.com/site/wp-content/uploads/directorchair-1.pdf Anybody tried one of these yet?

F148352197.jpg

Reactions: Hourless Life

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This
Alps King Kong Chair. I would wear out and just generally break chairs. Don't like the hard bottomed director chairs and some of the loose, comfy ones had a short life span. Ive had this one for several years and it may be heavy but its comfy and I cant bend or break it.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

The Helinox Savanna chair looks very interesting. I will have to drop by REI and give it a go. I have tried the Helinox Chair One though. It wasn't for me. I found REI's Flexlite Macro fit me better. If I am tight on space it is the chair that goes with me. If not I throw a bigger folding chair in so I have arms.

I have been thinking about getting an ARB BP-51 Compact Director Chair. I haven't found anywhere that has them in stock to try first though. https://www.arbusa.com/site/wp-content/uploads/directorchair-1.pdf Anybody tried one of these yet?

View attachment 109060
That ARB chair looks pretty slick, and I'm a fan of ARB too. I'm also curious as to if anyone has tried it. Also the footprint when folded and weight. Nice find!

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

The mini chair is cute!
Haha. It is adorable. We had a little kids chair for our son from REI, but Helinox sent us this little one and not only is it super cute, but it is lightweight enough that Caspian (our son) can carry it on his own which he likes doing. It gives him a sense of ownership. Now I just need to teach him to set it up. LOL>

Reactions: Utahrootbeer

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Haha. It is adorable. We had a little kids chair for our son from REI, but Helinox sent us this little one and not only is it super cute, but it is lightweight enough that Caspian (our son) can carry it on his own which he likes doing. It gives him a sense of ownership. Now I just need to teach him to set it up. LOL>
Haha one step at a time lol. How do the chairs look like when folded and in their bags?

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Haha one step at a time lol. How do the chairs look like when folded and in their bags?
Had to run outside to take a quick photo. So excuse the sloppiness of it. But I put up a 1lb propane bottle next to it for size reference. The actual dimensions are in the article I linked on my original post on this thread. Hope this helps. The footprint is so small that they live up in the space by my roll bar next to the window. That void that isn't used for anything else.

Helinox-Savanna-in-bag.JPG

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Had to run outside to take a quick photo. So excuse the sloppiness of it. But I put up a 1lb propane bottle next to it for size reference. The actual dimensions are in the article I linked on my original post on this thread. Hope this helps. The footprint is so small that they live up in the space by my roll bar next to the window. That void that isn't used for anything else.

View attachment 109162
Thank you for the pic! That's not big at all.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
This is our current favorite chair. It is crazy expensive unless you can find it on sale. Then it is just crazy expensive/ :)

Chair comfort is extremely subjective. So I really encourage people to try before you buy. I have cheap chair from Target that has also served me well for years. It just depends on how compact things need to be. Finding compact and comfortable for hours can be tough.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

This is our current favorite chair. It is crazy expensive unless you can find it on sale. Then it is just crazy expensive/ :)

Chair comfort is extremely subjective. So I really encourage people to try before you buy. I have cheap chair from Target that has also served me well for years. It just depends on how compact things need to be. Finding compact and comfortable for hours can be tough.
I sat in that stargaze chair at REI on and off for an hour. I couldn't make my mind up about it. Of course, if it had been less expensive I might have given it a go anyway. How is it holding up? The design is very different and had me worried a bit about longevity.

Reactions: Viking1204

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I sat in that stargaze chair at REI on and off for an hour. I couldn't make my mind up about it. Of course, if it had been less expensive I might have given it a go anyway. How is it holding up? The design is very different and had me worried a bit about longevity.
So far so good. My wife's is 2 years old and mine I have only used a few times.

Reactions: Brewbud

ScottEtkin

Rank VI
Launch Member

World Traveler I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

Love mine!!!! It is absolutely wonderful!!!20190529_163846.jpg

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I ended up getting the ARB chair I posted above. I really like it! It is more of an upright chair so it is better for eating. Not quite as comfortable for lounging around. I may wear it out before it hits the trail though. It has been set up in my house since I got it despite a couple of quick desert trips.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I'm a big guy, 6'4" tall around 250 lbs so I'm not sure how well those Stargaze Recliners would hold up with me over the long term, plus I'm not sure how much I would like all that movement. The Helinox Savanah looks like it would suit me better. They definitely are pricey but I like their ability to pack down small. The more I collect for Overlanding the less space I seem to have for storage in my truck! These look like I could fit them behind the rear seats in the space I have there. Guess I'll have to wait to see if I get a good bonus from work this year, supposed to find out this week!

Reactions: Utahrootbeer