Our Overlanding Jeep Build (Article format)

• HTML tutorial

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

We just published an article with our entire build. If you are interested, you can check it out here:

Jeepsies Overlanding Jeep Build

We're heading to Expo East this year and are looking forward to adding some equipment to our build out while we are there. Hope to meet some of y'all out there.

Would appreciate any thoughts, tips, advice. We're new to overlanding so don't be shy to comment. We're taking everything in right now. It's a lot to learn!

iKamper-Front.jpg

ikamper-skycamp-rear-passenger-side-jeep.jpg

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

- I really enjoyed your article so you want a Jeep it was well written and humorous
- For the longest time I have wanted an FJ40 Land Cruiser but with the cost of buying one, fixing the rust, and adding all the mods I probably could buy a used Jeep Rubicon.

Once again thank you for a wonderful website.

Reactions: Hourless Life

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

- I really enjoyed your article so you want a Jeep it was well written and humorous
- For the longest time I have wanted an FJ40 Land Cruiser but with the cost of buying one, fixing the rust, and adding all the mods I probably could buy a used Jeep Rubicon.

Once again thank you for a wonderful website.
What direction are you leaning?

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

What direction are you leaning?
I am leaning more towards a Jeep Rubicon. A FJ40 is romantic but if I want it safe for my family, comfortable (climate control), not a project, have the rust taken care of, and have all of the overlanding equipment when you add it up I might as well buy a Jeep Rubicon. Plus I live in California and have to deal with this states ridiculous emission standards.

I like the Jeep because the Jeep and Land Cruiser come from the same 4x4 family tree the Jeep would give me the look I want in a new vehicle. Plus it is newer, has 4 doors, can fit my family, after market support, and a great community.

This is going to be a long process first is debt and I want to buy a reliable daily driver for work. I learned the lesson the hard way when I had my FJ62 and the transmission went out it was sell the FJ62 to buy something to drive to work or not work.

In the end the Jeep looks like a fun weekend adventure and extended adventure vehicle, load it up and explore. And what is nice about my new job is that I work 3 12's so that means 4 days off for exploring.

Reactions: MazeVX

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Do you have any advice on buying a used Jeep, like what websites you used? Do you know of a site that explains all of the different trim levels? I know you are traveling and busy so reply when you can.

Reactions: Hourless Life

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Do you have any advice on buying a used Jeep, like what websites you used? Do you know of a site that explains all of the different trim levels? I know you are traveling and busy so reply when you can.
No worries. I make it a point to check the forums once a day.

So advice on buying a used Jeep. Be careful.

Jeep Wranglers tend to hold their value very well. A personal friend just bought a 2018 Jeep JL for the same monthly payment he was looking to get a 2016 comparable Jeep.

Always check for rust. Often times a Jeep that has spent one too many days on the beach without being washed off immediately makes its way inland for sale.

Also lay down underneath any used Jeep and check for signs of offroading. There are plenty of people who buy a Jeep new and literally use it for mall crawling. They get disillusioned by the poor gas mileage and trade it in on some janky vehicle that they think will make them happy. So there are typically plenty of really nice Jeeps out there with no off-road time.

I should probably write an article on the trim levels on my blog at jeepsies.com. I haven't yet.

But the short version is that when it comes to Wranglers (accept no substitute when it comes to Jeeps IMO) there are various trim levels ranging from the Sport (lowest) to Rubicon (highest) Also the designator for the 2 door vs 4 door is that 4 door Wranglers are called "Unlimited" so if you see that designator, that is all it means. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited means it has 4 doors.

For overlanding I wouldn't consider a 2 door. Cargo on Jeeps is already limited. So is the payload. Even on an Unlimited, the payload is only 1179lbs. A friend here on the forums mentioned that the Jeep Wrangler is a vehicle that can take almost nothing everywhere. Summed it up pretty good. But overlanding in a Wrangler is definitely doable. We're doing it with a toddler. So anyone who tells you different doesn't know what they're talking about. Just need to buy more expensive backpacking and camping type gear to save on weight.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I'm happy to help. As far as websites there aren't any that I've personally found that are better than others.

Oh and for a little humor I wrote this article on Buying A Jeep Wrangler: Should I Do It? It is a tongue in cheek article so fair warning...

Eric AKA Jeepsies

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

- Your "Buying A Jeep Wrangler: Should I Do It? Was a good read, sometimes people buy a vehicle because it brings them pleasure not practicability.

- Did you buy your Jeep from a private seller or dealership?
- Did you consider any other vehicles besides a Wrangler?
- How about the special edition trims besides Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon any of them good or just avoid?

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

- Your "Buying A Jeep Wrangler: Should I Do It? Was a good read, sometimes people buy a vehicle because it brings them pleasure not practicability.

- Did you buy your Jeep from a private seller or dealership?
- Did you consider any other vehicles besides a Wrangler?
- How about the special edition trims besides Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon any of them good or just avoid?
We bought our Jeep used from a "gasp" Chevy dealership. They actually had it listed wrong and we got a great deal.

No, we had our eyes set on a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Special editions are fine if you want what comes on them. But most people mod their Jeep to their own personal tastes anyway. So I'd suggest going with the trim that you want and then modding it out to your liking. But that's just me.

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

- I am mainly looking at the Rubicon trim. I want something that already has the offroading bells and whistles. I know I could start with a Sport and build it up but that costs time, money, and facilities. I don't have the facilities, I do have time (but I would rather be exploring), and if I save I do have the money. I guess what I am saying I would rather pay a little more up front for a Rubicon than get a lesser trim and build it up to a Rubicon level vehicle.

- How is your Mexico trip planning coming along? Will you gone down through Baja and take a ferry over to the mainland?

- Happy belated Veterans Day thank you for serving.

Reactions: BrothadH2

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
I am mainly looking at the Rubicon trim. I want something that already has the offroading bells and whistles. I know I could start with a Sport and build it up but that costs time, money, and facilities. I don't have the facilities, I do have time (but I would rather be exploring), and if I save I do have the money. I guess what I am saying I would rather pay a little more up front for a Rubicon than get a lesser trim and build it up to a Rubicon level vehicle.
I went with a 2010 JKU Rubicon for similar reasons. When I purchased mine, I know that I would not want to wait to have lockers, disconnects , rocker guards, etc... added in. So I went for the version that was most capable off of the showroom floor. Looking back, it was a great decision. For 8 years my JKU Rubicon has gone over and through everything I have asked it to without flinching. I just started doing upgrades this year and those are focused primarily on adjusting to the unique challenges of overlanding in the PNW.

Reactions: CCHeath