Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I see your point on the Skottle - anything I cook on it could also be cooked on a griddle. However, the Skottle is fun. It's a little different from cooking on a stove at home, and because it's a circle, it's more social than turning my back to the group and attending to a camp stove.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm against skottles not because they cook bad or anything like that I'm against them because I'm a farmer and when skottles got popular the availability of replacement 16" plow disc's disappeared. So now I have to buy a differnt sized disc harrow when my 16s on my international harvester wear down. That will out me a couple of grand just because it became popular to cook on plow discs.

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I'm against skottles not because they cook bad or anything like that I'm against them because I'm a farmer and when skottles got popular the availability of replacement 16" plow disc's disappeared. So now I have to buy a differnt sized disc harrow when my 16s on my international harvester wear down. That will out me a couple of grand just because it became popular to cook on plow discs.
That is both a legit complaint that would piss me off were I in your shoes, and a hilariously curmudgeon-y comment from an outside point of view. :grinning:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

That is both a legit complaint that would piss me off were I in your shoes, and a hilariously curmudgeon-y comment from an outside point of view. :grinning:
"Outside" point of view? Implying he's not in the know?

It's a bizarre thing to say about someone who knows more about vehicles, recovery, woods, camping, fishing, nature and being outside than most any other ten people I know. I'd go adventuring with @Boostpowered anytime before most anyone else here.

Reactions: M Rose

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

"Outside" point of view? Implying he's not in the know?

It's a bizarre thing to say about someone who knows more about vehicles, recovery, woods, camping, fishing, nature and being outside than most any other ten people I know. I'd go adventuring with @Boostpowered anytime before most anyone else here.

… from MY outside point of view. Finger off the trigger there buddy.

• Haha
Reactions: Billiebob

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I agree with most everything here on the video, I contend that the look is more important than getting out to many these days. My camp doesn't have many of the fashion products but is extremely comfortable. I have spent 40 plus years refining the way I travel and it suits me and mine very well. Most of all this stuff is a tradeoff.

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
Always love your videos and the raw, honesty, of them. We find that each time we go out, we see what we need to get, or leave, for the next trip to be better. It's an evolving issue as a traveler we just have to deal with. You're not wrong in your humble opinions and I like how you admit that's what they are. I think the ones that are years, and thousands, into this hobby need to understand this was meant for "Beginner Overlanders" not to piss off the seasoned traveler.
Thanks for making the videos ya'll.
Happy Trails to you both!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Another great vid!
Yeah, you make great points about gear and there is merit and logic to everything you said. People buy gear for a myriad of reasons and those that buy for the "cool" or "wow" factor really aren't interested in it being a logical or practical reason, and I doubt they would be watching a video like this, anyway. It depends on the person's GOAL as to what they buy. If the goal is to look a certain way, then yes, it makes sense to buy a hi-lift and prominently mount it on the hood like an African safari vehicle and never use it.
My goal is to go see new places and share adventures with my wife...so most of my gear purchases will be based on a need that is usually realized during or after a trip. That's where videos like yours are good. I realize my small bottle jack is not as practical to use now that I have a lift and I need a new jack. The hi-lift does look like a great piece of gear, but after watching a vid like yours, I will quickly see that there are issues involved with using one and finding lift points on a vehicle is a big deal. My "goal" for a jack is to safely lift my vehicle and if the best jack for the job is a squat ugly thing, then that is what I will buy, or as you pointed out, get some cribbing material.
A lot of folks travel and their "goal" is to conquer nature by toting as many modern conveniences with them as possible. Much like the giant 5th wheel trailer in a camp ground where the owner doesn't care about getting out and hiking, but has a 90" plasma tv set up outside for everyone to see. A lot of people buy gear solely for the purpose of others to notice them or be envious of them.
So yes, for people who's goal it is to get outside and travel and enjoy nature, your reviews make perfect sense.
And don't sweat folk getting offended....most people that get offended are small minded and are only upset because something you said made them realize their own inadequacies. They will soon be offended by something else and you will quickly be forgotten as a point of contention.

Last edited:

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Good video, I commented re the Hi-lift but your points were excellent 90 odd % of the ones I see have never been used. I disagree on having the RTT, but that is personal choice your points were all very valid and should be considerations before purchase, especially the weight issue. I looked for a way to determine/estimate the CG change but is a complex set of formulas requiring lifting and weighing.

• The big point I took away before purchase was to keep the weight up top down, I have about 150 lbs rack, tent, awning (manual with poles) on top of my Disco, which well under the max for my load bars and mounts
  • Pack low, everything inside is packed below the side window height - something I have always done
  • And upgrade the springs to minimize body roll
Which really speaks to you comment about cost - RTT's costs are tent, mounting system, suspension so maybe another 1000 on top of the tent cost.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

I agree with most everything here on the video, I contend that the look is more important than getting out to many these days. My camp doesn't have many of the fashion products but is extremely comfortable. I have spent 40 plus years refining the way I travel and it suits me and mine very well. Most of all this stuff is a tradeoff.
Don't get me wrong, I think looks are important too, but the right look. I believe beauty follows function.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Interesting vid and great conversation starter. Since you've asked for our opinions on your opinions, here's my take.

I care a lot about function and looks, though what I care about in looks is more about balance, symmetry, and flow than it is about what gear I have visible. Function, well, I care about function in that things work well and last a long time. I tend to get gear that will probably outlast me.

- SKOTTLE: Bought one four years ago to see for myself what all the hype was about; saw immediately it wasn't for me and wouldn't play nice at all with my packing system, and sold it for as much as I paid before ever using it.

- HIGH LIFT: I have one and am keeping it, as they can be useful tools around home and on the road if you know what you're doing. I've used one since I was a teen working tobacco and dairy farms on everything from hay wagons to fencing. I think most folks are wise to not get one, though, unless already well-experienced with one. Buying one to mostly display and show you have one is the wrong reason.

- MAXTRAX: I regularly carry a couple different traction aids, including maxtrax, and can certainly vouch that the composite they use is far more worth extra pesos than that of many of their imitators and competitors. I also love my folding Traction-Jacks, though it appears they may no longer be in production. Between the two styles, often in combo, I have been able to extricate myself, by myself, every time I've needed to use them over the years, from sandy beaches around the Gulf, to midwestern mud, to Chihuahuan Desert river flats.

pins-extraction_1432-900.jpeg
Sunk into a buried firepit. Deeper than it looks, the working shelf to the right of the orange maxtrax is a full shovel height or more from grade, where I piled the sand.
The combo of the tread and stoutness of the maxtrax, along with the fact the the Traction Jacks fold in the middle, allowed a steeper ramp and quicker climb out and eliminated the need for a tow.

- ROOTOP TENT: I have a rooftop tent, and as I've written in another of your threads about RTT's, I love my hardshell popup for its ease of use and the fact that it withstands big weather and a wider array of environments much more easily than any ground tent I've used other that my Oztent, which cost me more than my RTT. I've used a lot of tents in over sixty years of camping, and my hardshell is by far the most comfortable sleep I've had in any weather of any tent I've ever used, including my Oztent. I wouldn't have or keep a soft-sided fold out roof top tent if it was given to me.

I was much like you before I tried it. Then found I was wrong about setup and tear down, being weatherproof, overall ease of use or climbing the ladder (pee jugs are your friend at night, for both genders), or that it would change my CoG more than I wanted. I wouldn't put one on top of my van, and am not a fan of one on any already tall vehicle, though on my trailer with a raise-able rack, it works perfectly for me.

Ground Tent Sites: I have to disagree with you about always finding a spot. I've camped a ton of places where the ground is unsuitable for a ground tent, either because it is too full of roots, sharp cacti thorns, or is so out of level as to be impossible to sleep without rolling downhill.

I can always level up one side of my trailer though, even on the roughest of ground, and have a quickly-deployed, ready-to-use, comfortable and level bed ready to jump into. I've pulled into sites with friends using ground tents and been up in bed before they found a level, or large enough, spot on which to pitch their tent, much less had it up. It's also easier and more legal to use in many road side rests where I might stop for the night where you can't put a tent on the ground but can slide a pop out on an RV or pop up a tent on a vehicle. THAT can be a life saver on trips through places like west Texas.

leveledup-loaded_2270-900wm.jpg
Loaded, leveled up, and ready to set up.

190310-1738-900.jpeg
My rooftop tent is now the premium sleeping space in my camps. Company always gets the RTT and I sleep in the van or a hammock, if any trees are around.

- AWNINGS: I have a BAA and love it. That means Big-Assed-Awning, larger than most. It's actually a Bundutec from So Africa, and is considered a 360 in that it wraps both ends and one full side of my trailer, providing an immense amount of space underneath, especially with sidewalls up.

I've used tarps and rigged canopies for decades, both free-standing and attached to vehicles, as well as store-bought tarp setups like the Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarp stretched off the back of my vehicle like you show. In the end, I will opt for my trailer awning every time. In fact, I have another (270 in style) to put on my van when away from the trailer because they are far easier and far more stout and reflective of heat than any tarp setup I've ever used.

My awning is so much quicker and easier to deploy and pack back up than it is to rig a tarp or canopy; provides an immense amount of shade and cover from inclement weather, and best of all is easily expandable to an enclosed structure that is easy to heat or in which to stay out of wind and rain; important to me when working on projects, whether photographic or journalistic. As for wind, I've always packed up my tarp setups in any wind bad enough to warrant packing up my awning.

smokies_6535-1000.JPG

I often complement my BAA with FPG Thermashield field blankets, which have an inner Reflectec® layer that has to be used to understand how amazingly effective it is. They pack small, and pack a wallop of comfort and safety.

desertbunker_9659-900 copy.JPG

My awning setup is certainly not for every 'overlander" or camper's style of travel, though I use it as much for quick stops and single overnights as I do for extended stay basecamps.

- OVERLAND BLING: I'm not into buying things to display on the outside of my vehicle to prove I am an "overlander," or for the cool kid factor. In fact, you don't see any gear hanging on my vehicle in my images. I am not a fan of overtly displaying gear for the sake of letting others know I have it, so I must be cool, too. Same with fuel containers, shovels, traction boards, type of wheels, and so much more.

Ostentatious display and conspicuous consumption are not my style. I'm not even a fan of branding my vehicle and trailer with my name, stickers, brands, etc. With as many environments as I travel through; urban, rural, borderlands and back country, I'd much rather be more anonymous in appearance.

In fact, I don't even drive what most folks, especially newbies over the last several years, would consider an 'overland' rig. Though I get out there more, and spend more time adventuring all over North America both way back country and not, and engaging with those I meet far more than most others on this continent. To the tune of an avg 300-325 nights a year pre-pandemic.

fuelingup_roaddude_2211-900.jpg

So, I agree with some of your opinions, not with others, and think that some of your opinions have been formed without actually trying what you're talking about. Though you have allowed with some things that "maybe someday..."

In the end, what matters is to know and understand that there is no one right way to 'overland' or adventure. What works for you may not work for another, and what you eschew for one reason or another, even if just perceived, may work fabulously for someone else.

The real trick is, in my experience, to actually try the things before deciding for or against one bit of kit or another. Form your own opinions based on hands-on experience, not hearsay, projection, or that you think would be easy or hard. What looks hard or cumbersome is often in fact the best, easiest, and most comfortable solution.

Last edited:

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Good advice here - some reactions.

High-life jack - definitely not needed - takes up space, adds weight, can be dangerous, both in use, and as a projection on the vehicle, and also requires mounting points. A pair of bottle jacks is completely adequate.

Sand ladders - good to have as a back up - we have ARB Tred Pro which cost us USD 250.

“Skottle” - never seen one, don’t need one; never had a problem cooking with a single light folding pan.

Rooftop Tent - expensive, heavy, take up space, add wind resistance, increase CoG. The cheaper ones take 45 minutes to set up or take down (longer when wet), the ones which are efficient are expensive. Hazardous for me getting down in the middle of the night in the dark. Haven't found a lion-proof RTT yet. We’ve set up a bed inside our vehicles and this works perfectly, although we’re only two people.

Awning - we have a side awning and a rear awning - quick to set up and pack. great for shade in the sun, and rain protection as well. We don;t use them that often - however when we’ve been in blazing sun or pouring rain they’ve been very useful. Ours are ARB and Dobinson’s - no doubt more expensive than two tarpaulins (with poles and support lines) however it’s a real benefit to have the actual awning stowed neatly in the frame rather than having to find a place to stow tarpaulins etc.

Thanks for sharing.

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
Very valid points made in your response. Thank you for sharing, and doing it respectfully.

That fire pit looks like a fun time. We always fill our pits in for that reason. I don't want to be the reason someone has the experience you did.

I LOVE the trailer setup and have been looking at making something to the tune myself. We would like to get an RTT but don't want it on top of our T4R.

We camped with a man at expo east that had a Bundutec pop up like yours and it was so nice. He actually got the Awning to compliment it at Expo and sold my friend the ARB 2500 he had with room attachment. Both are great awnings.

Again, thanks for adding insight into this thread and for the photos.

Happy Trails!

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Very valid points made in your response. Thank you for sharing, and doing it respectfully.

That fire pit looks like a fun time. We always fill our pits in for that reason. I don't want to be the reason someone has the experience you did.

I LOVE the trailer setup and have been looking at making something to the tune myself. We would like to get an RTT but don't want it on top of our T4R.

We camped with a man at expo east that had a Bundutec pop up like yours and it was so nice. He actually got the Awning to compliment it at Expo and sold my friend the ARB 2500 he had with room attachment. Both are great awnings.

Happy Trails!
Thank you. I'll assume you mean my post from your ref to the firepit and RTT.

The used firepit was filled in, so not evident at all. Though the cover sand was nowhere near as packed as the area around it, so when pulling away from the trailer after I'd set it up, my passenger rear sunk into the softer, loose sand big-time. When trying to get out before the traction boards, my right rear bumper was in the sand; I was in that deep. I heard a really loud crack and thought I'd snapped a spindle or something. My heart sank to my knees. Turned out to be a buried piece of mostly burned firewood I snapped.

RTT: Mine is actually a used Roofnest prototype (not a Bundutec) which I purchased for about half price from a fellow who used it on a long trip with his son. The Bundutec RTT is a bit pricy for my blood though an amazing, excellent product. I've seen both sizes in person when at Bundutec USA in Raymond, Iowa. They are terrific folks. The Bundutec RTT is a good bit heavier than mine with aluminum halves, and has a nice mini-shade awning of its own that automatically pops out when it goes up.

I can move my hardshell RTT about by myself and have no doubt I could slide it on and off my rack by myself if need be, though it stays up there full time. It's about 150lbs. Yeah, like I wrote, I'm not a fan of putting weight on top of an already tall vehicle, though with my trailer rack lowering like it does to a level lower than my van, even with the RTT collapsed, it works really well, both for wind drag and CoG.

I adore my RTT, inexpensive as it was, as solid as it is against big weather, and that it's as comfortable as can be. The best sleep I've ever had outdoors, night after night. If I build a pop-up tent for my van, accessible from inside with sleeping area, it will most likely operate very similarly to the RTT on my trailer though not be as much additional weight.

My awning is Bundutec, though; a Bunduawn 360, and very reasonably priced for what it provides when compared to other awning offerings out there. Though, like most outdoor recreation items over the last 18 months, it too has increased in price.

My rig is somewhat cobbled together from various elements. It is what works best for me, my budget, and my style of adventuring.

Last edited:

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI

Happy Trails!
Thank you. I'll assume you mean my post from your ref to the firepit and RTT.

The used firepit was filled in, so not evident at all. Though the cover sand was nowhere near as packed as the area around it, so when pulling away from the trailer after I'd set it up, my passenger rear sunk into the softer, loose sand big-time. When trying to get out before the traction boards, my right rear bumper was in the sand; I was in that deep. I heard a really loud crack and thought I'd snapped a spindle or something. My heart sank to my knees. Turned out to be a buried piece of mostly burned firewood I snapped.

RTT: Mine is actually a used Roofnest prototype (not a Bundutec) which I purchased for about half price from a fellow who used it on a long trip with his son. The Bundutec RTT is a bit pricy for my blood though an amazing, excellent product. I've seen both sizes in person when at Bundutec USA in Raymond, Iowa. They are terrific folks. The Bundutec RTT is a good bit heavier than mine with aluminum halves, and has a nice mini-shade awning of its own that automatically pops out when it goes up.

I can move my hardshell RTT about by myself and have no doubt I could slide it on and off my rack by myself if need be, though it stays up there full time. It's about 150lbs. Yeah, like I wrote, I'm not a fan of putting weight on top of an already tall vehicle, though with my trailer rack lowering like it does to a level lower than my van, even with the RTT collapsed, it works really well, both for wind drag and CoG.

I adore my RTT, inexpensive as it was, as solid as it is against big weather, and that it's as comfortable as can be. The best sleep I've ever had outdoors, night after night. If I build a pop-up tent for my van, accessible from inside with sleeping area, it will most likely operate very similarly to the RTT on my trailer though not be as much additional weight.

My awning is Bundutec, though; a Bunduawn 360, and very reasonably priced for what it provides when compared to other awning offerings out there. Though, like most outdoor recreation items over the last 18 months, it too has increased in price.

My rig is somewhat cobbled together from various elements. It is what works best for me, my budget, and my style of adventuring.
In the end of it all, the only factor is that your rig works for YOU - which seems to be the case.

I will check out that awning and look more into hardshell vs soft shell when I start the trailer build. A 360 shaded area for my 3yr old would be great. Our ARB 2500 provides some area of shade during beach days, but without moving the rig constantly, that changes throughout the day, obviously.

I appreciate your detailed feedback!

Reactions: Road and Old Tanker

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
My take on the blingy stuff:

HIGHLIFT JACK = Priceless. I use mine for winching mostly. But it also makes a nice stabilizer when I'm in an RTT or camper. Electric winches are very heavy. Sit way outside the wheelbase of the truck messing up weight balance. And snow and salt means I get to repair and maintain them 10X more often than I get to use them. If I go from tent to hard side camper someday, then an electric winch will be added because it'll be harder to store a high lift.

SNORKLE = Useless bling for me. I can ford 30" of water over pavement. Any more and I'll get stuck. I don't ford water on any trail. I'll turn around. Experience has shown that it's not worth it. Dust? I carry an extra air filter. I tow heavy from time to time, and the power loss of the snorkel isn't acceptable. I'm making 407hp on a dyno, I'd like to keep all of that. I don't want to retune for a snorkel. If you're into snorkels, I'd recommend an airbox that can be opened up to bypass the snorkel during regular use. Or select an engine with no AF ratio woes, like a diesel.

MAXTRACKS = Fine, but I use Truck Clawz instead.

TRASHAROO = I'm in a truck, not an SUV. I just use contractor bags, and usually fire. Less plastic, more paper.

RTT = I love hard case versions like Bundutec. But ground tents are still more effective usually. I want to move up to a hardside camper one day. I'm doing less and less tight trails. State Parks, regular RV campgrounds at dive sites, beach and sand dunes were all of last years meager overlanding.

AT TIRES = Hate them with a passion. At least try some something as grippy as a F550's dump trucks tires. I might run hybrid designs like a Cooper ST Maxx to cut down on noise and heat. But thin wall car tires are the first thing I avoid.

4X4 AND LOCKERS = PRICELESS. ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS.

BLINGY VEHICLE WRAPS = Actually practical. There's no harm in protecting the paint on a brand new ride. But beware, they're expensive. Everybody knows they are. And then your truck becomes a target.

FANCY KITCHENS AND SUCH = Weight. Weight on your truck, weight on your waist. Fat on your wife. YMMV. I can do without fancy food for a few days (weeks?). Gives us an excuse to visit the local restaurants along the way.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I've always had this mentality when it comes to just about everything I own. If you feel like you need it, list out the reasons why you need it and why you don't need it. If the reasons why outweigh the reasons why not, then it's fairly justifiable for purchase. But the next question is, are you going to use it? While things like recovery gear, comms, fire extinguisher, first aid, etc aren't going to always be used, they're a need for obvious reasons. Things like a skottle, lift kit, RTT, trailer, etc are things that may not be a need but would be beneficial based on what you do and the needs or capabilities your rig and kit. But if you don't use it, it's just bling and you're wasting your money or stuff versus adventures.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
That's a good thought. Usefulness, or need, should be considered a priority. Can I get by with less weight? Is this going to make my trip significantly more enjoyable?

These threads are fun. The only "never needed" but ''absolutely necessary'' thing IMO, is 4wd and lockers. It's only a frivolous option, until it's not.