Other Uses For Your Recovery Gear

• HTML tutorial

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

As we all know, being prepared on the trail with the proper recovery gear is important when doing serious wheeling in remote areas and especially if you are out running solo. But there are so many other uses for this equipment at home or in an urban setting. I tend to use my gear more in these instances than on the trail. I've moved and placed water tanks, dealt with trees, moved a rail car etc. My latest was assisting with the installation of my winch/bumper. The uses are limitless. Im curious to see how others have been using their recovery equipment in non-recovery situations. IMG_9647.jpgIMG_9656.jpgIMG_9666.jpgIMG_9651.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Our winches get used a lot for dragging trees out for firewood, hi-lifts for getting sheds, etc., on rollers for moving and of course aid in processing game and livestock.12094886_1205831316098952_2636579844837278819_o.jpg

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
The tow loop on the rear get's used as a step all the time. Tow strap has been used to pull trees around. I've seen tow straps used as slack lines, but I have not personally used mine in that fashion before.

Reactions: Trail Wonky

Ichibahn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

The tow loop on the rear get's used as a step all the time. Tow strap has been used to pull trees around. I've seen tow straps used as slack lines, but I have not personally used mine in that fashion before.
I have used my tow strap as a slacklines as well before I bought Gibbon slacklines, hook it up on my receiver hitch and the other end to a nearby tree.
Been bouncing around on it for a couple months UNTIL.......I broke the transmission parking pawl because of that, expensive lesson and never do that again lol.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I use my Hi-lift around the house more than on the trail. Just yesterday I used it to get a truck cab off jack stands and on to furniture dollies. I can't count how many fence posts and saplings I've yanked out of the ground with it and how many corners of something I've lifted to get blocking / dollies under.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Pulled a dozen crappy old cedars out of our backyard, in about an hour, this past spring with the winch. Had to get a little creative with routing the line through the fence and around the cherry tree....but it worked like a darn, and my back has thanked me ever since. (That., and confirmed to the Wife that a winch is must-have mandatory piece of valuable equipment)