Organizing a Overland Trip with Multiple Travelers

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Florida
So, I am new to Recreational Overland Travel Adventures (ROTA), and it appears to be logistics heavy. I get that, understand it, and know how to plan for a ROTA for myself and family.

Not knowing to many other people with the same interests, what is the best way to organize a 2 - 4 day trip?

Outside of choosing a destination, vehicle configurations, communication, supplies, and weather what are some other factors that come into play that will make or break a organized trip?

Is there an organizational leadership structure that comes into play?

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

So, I am new to Recreational Overland Travel Adventures (ROTA), and it appears to be logistics heavy. I get that, understand it, and know how to plan for a ROTA for myself and family.

Not knowing to many other people with the same interests, what is the best way to organize a 2 - 4 day trip?

Outside of choosing a destination, vehicle configurations, communication, supplies, and weather what are some other factors that come into play that will make or break a organized trip?

Is there an organizational leadership structure that comes into play?
The biggest thing upfront is communication. Talk things over plan meeting points with GPS coordinates, put all the information into an email or use OB's Rally Point system. This way anyone who get delayed or strays from the group can refer to this information and catch up with the group at the next meeting point/campsite.

When planning a trip for multiple rigs (5-30) I plan the trip as if it was myself, then factor in fuel stops, rest stops, any predetermined needs of the group and work out the details. Then share the trip plan ahead of time with all that will be involved...Back to communicating!

Plan ahead so everyone has coms and can communicate/relay messages to each other.

There WILL be bumps in the road along the way. Start out small and you will learn and adapt fast. The biggest things are to be safe and don't rush!!!

Hank